(Cracked) Engl Cab Test

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
From this thread. Still sounds pretty good, I think, and anything I might change (too dark, perhaps) I doubt has anything to do with the crack. EC-400 w/ 81 in the bridge --> JSX w/ KT77's --> Audix i5 --> Mackie Onyx Satellite. And the riff is one I wrote when I was particularly into "In Sorte Diaboli" :) Song is on the soundclick player on my myspace in my sig, Comments welcome!

Oh, and that pinch harmonic is why I use a .52 guage string for my low C :heh:

Hey, no prob dude, thanks for the comment! Ultra channel, just guitar straight into amp (I wanted to reamp but I got a shitload of ground noise), settings were as follows:

Gain - 5
Bass - 6.5
Mid - 4 (I like my mids, within reason)
Treble - 5
Pres. & Res. - Both 6.5

And yeah, it's an Engl V30 cab, though an older one with the speakers rear-mounted on the baffle rather than front-mounted like on the new ones, which apparently makes a noticeable difference (and Mesas, Orange, Bogner, Marshall, etc. are all rear-mounted, so I think that's where my preference lies :D)

Oh cool man. I was gonna guess the crunch channel because of the present mids. Every Ultra clip I hear is scooped to hell and overgained. Nice...\m/

-Joe

Yeah, I honestly don't notice that much of a difference between the two channels - the eq controls for Ultra and Crunch are RIDICULOUSLY powerful though (especially compared to a 5150, where the only knob that has anything more than a subtle effect is presence, and then only when it's near the top of its range), so it's easily possible to make it sound like garbage! Makes for great tonal variety though, glad you dug this particular flavor!

Yeah, I honestly don't notice that much of a difference between the two channels - the eq controls for Ultra and Crunch are RIDICULOUSLY powerful though (especially compared to a 5150, where the only knob that has anything more than a subtle effect is presence, and then only when it's near the top of its range), so it's easily possible to make it sound like garbage! Makes for great tonal variety though, glad you dug this particular flavor!

Cool man. Yeah, I'm debating amps right now. I just want something for my \m/ amp since I turn gear around often. Mainly for home jamming and recording. I'm thinking either a Krank Rev Jr., 5150/6505, or JSX.

This will be used with an ESP M-II w/ maple board and EMGs.

-Joe

Thanks Mark! And Joe, I'd totally go for the JSX dude - I've never played a XXX but from what I've heard the Ultra channel really isn't very useable, and the JSX IMO looks cooler (especially when you get your local body shop to paint the chrome panels black :heh: ) and sounds awesome, not to mention the three switchable independent channels, one of which is a GORGEOUS clean tone (seriously, that was the thing that most impressed me when I tried out this amp; coming from a 5150, the disortion was great as I expected, but the clean is just incredible!)

Thanks Mark! And Joe, I'd totally go for the JSX dude - I've never played a XXX but from what I've heard the Ultra channel really isn't very useable, and the JSX IMO looks cooler (especially when you get your local body shop to paint the chrome panels black :heh: ) and sounds awesome, not to mention the three switchable independent channels, one of which is a GORGEOUS clean tone (seriously, that was the thing that most impressed me when I tried out this amp; coming from a 5150, the disortion was great as I expected, but the clean is just incredible!)

Cool man, thanks for the words. I really want to try one out. I just need to wait for a good deal. :headbang:

Do you recommend the 6L6s over the EL34s?

-Joe

Tough call on the 6L6/EL34 debate - I honestly am leaning towards EL34's as my preferred tube, given that I like crunchy mids, but I wanna get a quad of killer EL34's and 6L6's and do a shootout once and for all (along with my current KT77's) - too bad it'll cost like $200 :ill: Hopefully I'll be able to sell the set I like less to someone on here...

And thanks Jess! :headbang:

Tough call on the 6L6/EL34 debate - I honestly am leaning towards EL34's as my preferred tube, given that I like crunchy mids, but I wanna get a quad of killer EL34's and 6L6's and do a shootout once and for all (along with my current KT77's) - too bad it'll cost like $200 :ill: Hopefully I'll be able to sell the set I like less to someone on here...

And thanks Jess! :headbang:

Yeah, it's just preference I suppose bro. I'm actually considering something in the Engl department right now too. Maybe the 530 preamp.

-Joe

Cool man. Yeah, I'm debating amps right now. I just want something for my m/ amp since I turn gear around often. Mainly for home jamming and recording. I'm thinking either a Krank Rev Jr., 5150/6505, or JSX.

This will be used with an ESP M-II w/ maple board and EMGs.

-Joe

Buy a Diezel:worship: