New gear test! (Mesa cab, JSX, Redeye, i5)

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
So I just got a bunch of new stuff, and wanted to test it all out! (the list is in this thread). I recorded the DI signals via the inst. in of my Onyx Satellite, then reamped them via the Redeye into my JSX into the Mesa vert. halfback 2x12 (bottom speaker), mic'ed up with an i5, and back into the Onyx! I did the headphone mic sweeping test, and am pretty happy with the sound; if I were to do it again, I'd probably move it just a bit closer to the dustcap, but also, this is a front mounted, half-open back cab (and the bottom half is closed-back but ported in the front), so it's not like I was expecting it to sound too great mic'ed - whatever, it's mainly for live use, so I'm happy it sounds as good as it does! The file is on my myspace, link is in my sig!

Oh, and the guitar was my ESP LTD EC-400 w/ an EMG 81 in the bridge, and the melody lead was my Podxt (only rhythms are mic'ed)

Hmm, you think so dude? I agree with JDavis on the mid-range (thanks by the way man!), that's honestly the fault of the cab, it's retardedly mid-heavy even in the room (I think because of the front-mounting of the speakers, combined with the open back top half/front-vented bottom half, visible in the pic in the other thread). Makes it great for the purpose I got it for, though, which is my live cab! I see what you mean, though, - there's no bass guitar in there, so that would certainly fill up the bottom, but I guess I could've been a bit more aggressive with the bass knob (I'm just so paranoid of the dreaded woof monster! :ill: )

Thanks for listening guys!

Yeah. Not sure who or what you prefer to use for references, but comparing this to Sneap's speaker comparisons reveals a lack of low end.

Have you tried backing the mids off on the amp? I was always afraid to do this with my 5150 since I hate completely scooped mids, but lots of Peaveys are just "midy" by nature I guess.

-Joe

Well the thing is, when I'm home, I have all my loud stuff in one part of the house, and my laptop/interface in my room on the other side, so mic'ing my amp is a royal PITA :lol: Thus, I haven't really experimented with the tone through this particular cab, but I can imagine backing down on the mids (I have 'em at 4, but being that this is a Peavey and I've got KT77's in the power section even that is a lot, I'd imagine) might help. I love mids so much though! :cry: When I move into my apartment at school at the end of August, I'll be able to fit everything in my room, and will go nuts with tone tests - for now, I just wanted to try out reamping, and determined that it fucking rules :)

Well the thing is, when I'm home, I have all my loud stuff in one part of the house, and my laptop/interface in my room on the other side, so mic'ing my amp is a royal PITA :lol: Thus, I haven't really experimented with the tone through this particular cab, but I can imagine backing down on the mids (I have 'em at 4, but being that this is a Peavey and I've got KT77's in the power section even that is a lot, I'd imagine) might help. I love mids so much though! :cry: When I move into my apartment at school at the end of August, I'll be able to fit everything in my room, and will go nuts with tone tests - for now, I just wanted to try out reamping, and determined that it fucking rules :)

You can always solder up a long, heavy duty, speaker cable so you can tweak at your computer. :headbang:

-Joe

Haha, that's what I do, actually - check out my pic in the other thread, you'll see it curled up between my amp and cab, but to get it from my computer in my room to where my cab lives it'd have to be like 100' going out my window :lol:

Haha, that's what I do, actually - check out my pic in the other thread, you'll see it curled up between my amp and cab, but to get it from my computer in my room to where my cab lives it'd have to be like 100' going out my window :lol:

Oh haha, yep a bit too long then. I bought a length of nice speaker cable a while back so I could "isolate" my cabs in my bedroom (2 rooms away). I still haven't gotten around to soldering it...lol.

-Joe

Haha, you guys need to brush up on your 80s cult classics - it's the theme from "Escape from New York," actually composed by John Carpenter, who apparently has some musical ability up his sleeve as well as directorial. It's a bitchin' theme, I like how it's in a 6-bar phrase rather than a 4, which takes a sec to get its hooks in you, but when it does it holds 'em, IMO. I'm gonna do a whole big cover of it soon, using my new MIDI keyboard to get all the Moog synth stuff in as well :)

Thanks dude! I'm especially proud of the "chords" in the rhythm parts (technically not really chords since they're never constructed of more than two notes, but bear with me :)), I think I really nailed the progression, and it was really satisfying! I'll keep you informed dude!