cracked plug ins

gallows.gif

You know, I don't really give a rat's ass whether someone uses cracks or not...Pretty much everyone has at some point. It's just not a good idea to be doin' it here for the sake of the rest of us.

You know, I don't really give a rat's ass whether someone uses cracks or not...Pretty much everyone has at some point. It's just not a good idea to be doin' it here for the sake of the rest of us.

Precisely. Anyone who has burnt a cd or watched a downloaded movie is just as guilty if not even more than someone who isn't making a dime with pirated software. All the software that I'm currently using has been purchased or is freeware but I must add that a couple years back being able to use pirated software prevented me from making a few horrible purchases. If you really wanted to go deep into the morality of piracy you might as well destroy every mix tape you've ever been given. Making money off of piracy is where I draw the line because thats complete bullshit but at the same time you wouldn't spend $40,000 on an automobile without ever taking it for a test drive would you?

Precisely. Anyone who has burnt a cd or watched a downloaded movie is just as guilty if not even more than someone who isn't making a dime with pirated software. All the software that I'm currently using has been purchased or is freeware but I must add that a couple years back being able to use pirated software prevented me from making a few horrible purchases. If you really wanted to go deep into the morality of piracy you might as well destroy every mix tape you've ever been given. Making money off of piracy is where I draw the line because thats complete bullshit but at the same time you wouldn't spend $40,000 on an automobile without ever taking it for a test drive would you?

thats what the ilok demos are for!
keep it legit kids, and boycott waves

Like I said, I own all my software 100% legit. I do not care what other people use because not everybody can afford to drop cash on bundles at any point in their life. The home / non commercial user is not the problem. It's hundreds of "pro" studios around the globe who are expected by the client / label to have the popular bundles and only using pirated software because they are cheap and/or greedy. When you get that high up in the game you would figure a couple grand on a plugin bundle would be considered a mandatory upgrade or purchase worked into the budget. :loco:

Over the past couple years so many great cheaper or free alternatives to the expensive bundles have surfaced that there is no reason to use pirated software. And my best advice is purchase one bundle that will cover most of your bases for ITB mixing then spend the rest on hardware instead of collecting more and more plugins. Quality hardware doesn't become obsolete or depreciate in value over the years, it becomes vintage. I have never heard of old plugins referred to as vintage before in a non humorous manner.

Like I said, I own all my software 100% legit. I do not care what other people use because not everybody can afford to drop cash on bundles at any point in their life. The home / non commercial user is not the problem. It's hundreds of "pro" studios around the globe who are expected by the client / label to have the popular bundles and only using pirated software because they are cheap and/or greedy. When you get that high up in the game you would figure a couple grand on a plugin bundle would be considered a mandatory upgrade or purchase worked into the budget. :loco:

Over the past couple years so many great cheaper or free alternatives to the expensive bundles have surfaced that there is no reason to use pirated software. And my best advice is purchase one bundle that will cover most of your bases for ITB mixing then spend the rest on hardware instead of collecting more and more plugins. Quality hardware doesn't become obsolete or depreciate in value over the years, it becomes vintage. I have never heard of old plugins referred to as vintage before in a non humorous manner.

well my whole thing is befor i can afford quality outboard compressors/gates/eq i need really good compression and dynamic stuff to run on logic pro 7.

the next big purchase is gonna be probably a great river 2ch pre and an api 4ch pre as well as probably an apogee ad16x. i don't feel confident enough in my abilities to start charging for everything, i've recorded bands but just as guinea pigs. i've done a song here and there for friend bands and recorded myself. i am looking to do this more aggressively. i'm not totally at the pro level yet, i have a small studio in a studio building but not ready to just blow thousands on plug in bundles. if anyone has any suggestions please share with me :)

well my whole thing is befor i can afford quality outboard compressors/gates/eq i need really good compression and dynamic stuff to run on logic pro 7.

the next big purchase is gonna be probably a great river 2ch pre and an api 4ch pre as well as probably an apogee ad16x. i don't feel confident enough in my abilities to start charging for everything, i've recorded bands but just as guinea pigs. i've done a song here and there for friend bands and recorded myself. i am looking to do this more aggressively. i'm not totally at the pro level yet, i have a small studio in a studio building but not ready to just blow thousands on plug in bundles. if anyone has any suggestions please share with me :)

I applaud your initiative to take your recording career to the next level, but I don't think spending thousands on high end converters and pres is a very wise decision if you're not comfortable with your abilities, as you say. Sure, you'll end up getting that sexy equipment if you keep at it and develop your recording chops, but it's like buying a $7000 Les Paul for a beginner. They can't/won't appreciate the high end gear unless they've mastered the lesser gear.

A lot of people who want to be AEs look at so-in-so's gear page... "oooh he's got a Lavry Gold and 50 Neumann U87s. I'm going to take out a bigass loan, buy that stuff, and my recordings will sound just like so-in-so's!" Then they buy the gear and are extremely disappointed when they don't know what the hell they're doing and turn out crap. They get discouraged and sell all that fancy gear, when they should have been "practicing" on low end stuff to prepare for the big boy toys.

But that's just what I think.

I applaud your initiative to take your recording career to the next level, but I don't think spending thousands on high end converters and pres is a very wise decision if you're not comfortable with your abilities, as you say. Sure, you'll end up getting that sexy equipment if you keep at it and develop your recording chops, but it's like buying a $7000 Les Paul for a beginner. They can't/won't appreciate the high end gear unless they've mastered the lesser gear.

A lot of people who want to be AEs look at so-in-so's gear page... "oooh he's got a Lavry Gold and 50 Neumann U87s. I'm going to take out a bigass loan, buy that stuff, and my recordings will sound just like so-in-so's!" Then they buy the gear and are extremely disappointed when they don't know what the hell they're doing and turn out crap. They get discouraged and sell all that fancy gear, when they should have been "practicing" on low end stuff to prepare for the big boy toys.

But that's just what I think.

well you're right on some levels, but i've been working at it for almost 2 years (for the most part with a firepod interface -> pc / sonar 6 prod)

the pc was literally my old home pc from like 2001 with maxed out 1gb ram and a pentium IV i think slow processor for running a lot of plug ins and effects and audio tracks. so with that respect i feel i've reached my highest possible limit with that gear and in a bad studio (Which i moved out of)

i could've afforded or stretched my budget earlier but i took your advice a year ago and decided to maximize the best i could without an modern standard stuff. i learned alot by making shortcuts and dealing with bullsh!t windows reboots and audio dropouts etc. etc. i just don't feel i could do anything more with my current set up. i already got a mac book pro and logic pro (which i'm still in learning process) so i stepped up the comptuer end of things btu like i said within the next 6-9 months i'd like to upgrade my interface from a $400 firepod. it's nto much of a stretch, it's not like i started recording/producing last week. by the time i get them it will be almost 3 years since i started in my bedroom with a lexicon omega and a combo amp and ended up now in a decent studio with a bunch of amps and a firepod. i just feel it's the next step, that's all.