cracked plug ins

well you're right on some levels, but i've been working at it for almost 2 years (for the most part with a firepod interface -> pc / sonar 6 prod)

No, he's right on all levels. 2 years? I was a working staff engineer at a busy studio for 3.5 years before I moved to L.A., where they made me start all over because I really didn't know shit - even though I thought that I did.

Waves has raided studios and bankrupted them with software piracy lawsuits. Don't be next. If you need good plugins, get a UAD-2 card, their stuff destroys Waves and is cheaper.

Speeking of this thread. I was having this discussion the other day and basically the gist of it was "if I was using a PC I wouldn't bat an eye at downloading the dongle crack for cubase and locking up the dongle inside my safe".

Honestly the ilok makes me nervous as well, but it seems a little better build than the syncrosoft one.

I applaud your initiative to take your recording career to the next level, but I don't think spending thousands on high end converters and pres is a very wise decision if you're not comfortable with your abilities, as you say. Sure, you'll end up getting that sexy equipment if you keep at it and develop your recording chops, but it's like buying a $7000 Les Paul for a beginner. They can't/won't appreciate the high end gear unless they've mastered the lesser gear.

A lot of people who want to be AEs look at so-in-so's gear page... "oooh he's got a Lavry Gold and 50 Neumann U87s. I'm going to take out a bigass loan, buy that stuff, and my recordings will sound just like so-in-so's!" Then they buy the gear and are extremely disappointed when they don't know what the hell they're doing and turn out crap. They get discouraged and sell all that fancy gear, when they should have been "practicing" on low end stuff to prepare for the big boy toys.

But that's just what I think.

Totally agree

No, he's right on all levels. 2 years? I was a working staff engineer at a busy studio for 3.5 years before I moved to L.A., where they made me start all over because I really didn't know shit - even though I thought that I did.

I've been playing guitar for about 20 years and I still wouldn't say I'm anywhere near the point where I'd say I know it all. I'm sure even guys like Mr Sneap would say the same of themselves. As soon as you think you know it all, just quit because at that point, your metally guitarded.

If you need good plugins, get a UAD-2 card, their stuff destroys Waves and is cheaper.

Intrigued... UAD-2?

Precisely. Anyone who has burnt a cd or watched a downloaded movie is just as guilty if not even more than someone who isn't making a dime with pirated software. All the software that I'm currently using has been purchased or is freeware but I must add that a couple years back being able to use pirated software prevented me from making a few horrible purchases. If you really wanted to go deep into the morality of piracy you might as well destroy every mix tape you've ever been given. Making money off of piracy is where I draw the line because thats complete bullshit but at the same time you wouldn't spend $40,000 on an automobile without ever taking it for a test drive would you?

I don't say things like 'Yarrr me mateys!' much but I know a little about piracy. I've never made a dime off anything I've ever done besides working for a living but that doesn't mean that it's right for me to download the things I have in the very, very, very, very, very, very distant past 2 days.

You know, I don't really give a rat's ass whether someone uses cracks or not...Pretty much everyone has at some point. It's just not a good idea to be doin' it here for the sake of the rest of us.

Chris Rock said it best... 'Yeah, you can do it, but that don't mean it's a good idea!' On a serious note, cracked warez have certainly helped me figure out what I wanted, needed out of software and which ones were sweet in a press release versus the ones that were sweet to use. I'm all for try before you buy but I would undoubtedly pay for any software I used before using it to make money. Or...

the po-po's be knockin on my do
talkin bout some booty some pirate gave me the day befo
2 feds and and a dude named Fred came up in my crib
They took my Pro Tools and ma bed and locked me down fo what i did

Now I'm rappin in san quentin and my baby mama cryin
Lost them papers I made with them Waves bundles and my rap career is dyin
I got lyrical skills like Dr Suess and a iLok crack like a digital noose
Bound to end up locked up payin the Man for his ho's I used and abused

What the hell is a crack? ;)

huge-camel-toe.jpg

i hate ilok's more than anyone since im a laptop user its always a hassle anymore

im gonna go crazy i have 8 usb ports used already and 2 firewire ports all connected to my laptop everywhere i want to work and it becomes a pain in the ass all the time

but since all my fav plugs are i-lok used i have to worry about it getting stolen AGAIN and dealing with all the bs to get my auth codes again from waves every other company was kool about it but they wanted me to repurchase the mercury bundle fuck all that once i already bought them i managed to convince them after the transfer to my new i-lok all is well just still apain in the ass to have that thing sticking out of the side of my computer at a crazy angle i wish they would have take n that into consideration when making them

So would you say that the iLok is a very valuable and important piece of equipment in your case? Meaning, it's worth a lot to you since it has all your authorizations on it, right?

~006

i hate ilok's more than anyone since im a laptop user its always a hassle anymore

im gonna go crazy i have 8 usb ports used already and 2 firewire ports all connected to my laptop everywhere i want to work and it becomes a pain in the ass all the time

but since all my fav plugs are i-lok used i have to worry about it getting stolen AGAIN and dealing with all the bs to get my auth codes again from waves every other company was kool about it but they wanted me to repurchase the mercury bundle fuck all that once i already bought them i managed to convince them after the transfer to my new i-lok all is well just still apain in the ass to have that thing sticking out of the side of my computer at a crazy angle i wish they would have take n that into consideration when making them

From wikipedia:

"Punctuation marks are symbols that correspond to neither phonemes (sounds) of a language nor to lexemes (words and phrases), but which serve to indicate the structure and organization of writing, as well as intonation and pauses to be observed when reading it aloud. See orthography.

In English, punctuation is vital to disambiguate the meaning of sentences. For example, "woman, without her man, is nothing," and "woman: without her, man is nothing," have greatly different meanings, as do "eats shoots and leaves" and "eats, shoots and leaves."

From wikipedia:

"Punctuation marks are symbols that correspond to neither phonemes (sounds) of a language nor to lexemes (words and phrases), but which serve to indicate the structure and organization of writing, as well as intonation and pauses to be observed when reading it aloud. See orthography.

In English, punctuation is vital to disambiguate the meaning of sentences. For example, "woman, without her man, is nothing," and "woman: without her, man is nothing," have greatly different meanings, as do "eats shoots and leaves" and "eats, shoots and leaves."

hammer.gif

From wikipedia:

8======D punctuations used correctly here ??

I am a little flustered from working with the worse rapper alive for the past 12 hours. Sorry if i did not punctuate to your high standards next time i might actually care!!

So would you say that the iLok is a very valuable and important piece of equipment in your case? Meaning, it's worth a lot to you since it has all your authorizations on it, right?

~006

yes it is, since i got mine stolen i lock it in the safe every night........

prob the most valuable piece i have concerned with mix-downs next to my ears ,but i still hate it!