Creative Loafing Files Chapter 11

James

Feb 27, 2002
Atlanta
www.torquestra.com
Don't know if any locals (or anyone else affected) caught this story; I hope this doesn't mean the end is near...I'm sure to miss some cool shows if the print edition disappears :mad: (CL's "online" presence is poor, at best...even a marked improvement would prove to be unsatisfactory, in my estimation).

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/stories/2008/09/29/creative_loafing_bankruptcy.html

Creative Loafing files for bankruptcy
By LEON STAFFORD

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Monday, September 29, 2008

The owner of Atlanta news weekly Creative Loafing filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy early Monday.

Creative Loafing Inc., which owns six papers, including Creative Loafing in Tampa and Washington City Paper in the nation’s capital, announced the move in a conference call with company officials.

CEO Ben Eason said the filing would help the chain improve its online business while it reorganizes its operations.

Wow, weird. I hadn't actually read a CL here in a few years, but lo and behold, the R.I. apparently gives you a copy at the hotel, and so there it was.

I kinda swore off the magazine for its relentlessly (and I do mean relentlessly) (did I mention relentlessly?) liberal stances, but it'd be a shame to lose their celebrated concert listings, which I used to read every week like clockwork.