• Crimson

Votes: 30 68.2%
  • Crimson 2

Votes: 14 31.8%

• Total voters

iseesmurfs420

Opethian
Jan 25, 2004
I just got these two Cd's today. I have listened to both and I think both are great. But IMO I favor 2 over the original. What are your guys's opinions?

Love em both, but I went with C2, mainly because it is 100% Dan. The riffs, the melodies, the atmosphere, just about everything I feel is a little better on the second one.

You gotta be kidding... The first is way better IMO. I love most the riffs in Crimson 2 and the beginning is just unbelievable but it's exhausting to listen to and frankly the lyrics can't compare at all. Crimson has so much variety in it that I can listen to it time and time again but I really have to be in the mood for the second one because there simply aren't enough tempo changes. I love both albums, but Crimson is a classic for a reason.

The second is a masterpiece but it can't be compared to the first one imo, which is one of the best albums ever.

Wow, it is tough to choose one over the other. I ended up voting for the original Crimson. I feel that Crimson 1 is a bit more unique and original sounding. Plus one of my favorite moments, the acoustic breakdown towards the beginning is not matched on the sequel. I've also grown to appreciate Benny's amazing drum performance on the album (he doesn't need double kick pedals!).

Musically Crimson II is much more advanced and technical. A great sequel, and not a dissapointment at all.

I definiately picked the first one, the original Crimson, because of the amazing epic quality and variety of the album. There's much more variety in the clean vocals, from the really deep ones, to the spoken word, to the normal ones, etc.. and I like Dan's clean vocal performance much better. Mike Akerfeldt also contributes some fucking fantastic screams to complement Dan's growls, which were in my opinion more powerful back then. To complement this, something is lacking in the production of Crimson II, sometimes the vocals are too quiet, and it generally sounds a bit washed-out. The first Crimson's production suits the album very well. Crimson I is my favourite album of all time, and the sequel is not that far behind. Dan still never ceases to amaze me, but I think the variety that came out of the backing of a full band elevates Crimson I to it's classic status.

The first one is better for the vocals, guitar, and production. I think it should have been 30 mins instead of 40, however. I usually end up listening to the first 12 to 15 mins. and then often pull it out, not b/c I don't like the rest, but b/c it's a good stopping place when I don't have time. The first few minutes of the cd is magical every single time I hear it. (Another sky is young! ---> Cursed to be walking in the shadows of death! ---> slow melodic background guitar, acoustic section with clean vocals.)

Like em both pretty damn much, but at the same time, I think the original Crimson is like the best metal album ever realeased, it's a true milestone in the history of music to me, so of course I have to go with that one!

I think if Dan were to make an album of shorter, more "typical Swano" songs in the Crimson II style, it would be incredible. However, I went with the first one. Crimson I's scope is incredible, and the lyrics and the music work so perfectly together, the whole thing just sucks me in. Truly epic, and the masterpiece of Edge of Sanity's work.

So thats not really easy cause 1 Album is made by the "old" EoS and the other is made by the "last EoS" made under the name of Swano ;)
No...I think they are both genius in each its kind. But more epic and oldschool is only the first output. So it's Crimson 1 to me cause I have much feelings and recollections with that output and I still remember the time as I listen to Crimson a second one and get this goose-skin ( If you know what I mean ?! My english is not the best ;) ). I got my own fantasy nearly as real cinamatic in each the story tells. And yeah...thats really fuckin' great.

And by the way I have considerd that someone like Peter Jackson (or someone in that way) could make a genius motion picture film out of the Crimson-Story :D And if I could do that I would do it.
What do you think about that? I have created a now poll...

I think it's quite heavy to have a decent comparison made between these two albums, as crimson 2 wouldn't even exist in case of it's prequel not being recorded.
In my humble opinion, they both make one awesome story of phantastic depth, which no other metal- or rockmusician has ever come up with before.

I listened to the first album at Sturmbringer's home a few years ago (greetings to you ;)...) and the melodic, clean-vocalized parts just blew me away. I then got a little bit into Nightingale and kept in touch with all that 80s based rock-stuff Dan made, as I have never been too much of a death-metal disciple.
I then discovered the release of Crimson 2 last winter by chance and just bought the album, because I needed some record for a long trainride ;).
I worked through the lyrics and listened to the album around 15 times that day, being all fascinated by the complex arrangements, the great composition and of course that epic story being told.
Few days after I rushed to the record store again and also purchased the first album, as I never owned it myself before.
I am quite much of an instrumentalist and never have been into vocals and lyrics at all, but what Dan created here is pretty much the most intense and fascinating poem in metal music I ever experienced.

psychomantis said:
I listened to the first album at Sturmbringer's home a few years ago (greetings to you ;)...) and the melodic, clean-vocalized parts just blew me away. I then got a little bit into Nightingale and kept in touch with all that 80s based rock-stuff Dan made, as I have never been too much of a death-metal disciple.

Hrhrhr... hi :D Greetings back...

psychomantis said:
but what Dan created here is pretty much the most intense and fascinating poem in metal music I ever experienced.

If you're talking about the lyrics of Crimson I, you have to give some credit to Andreas Axelsson and possibly the rest of the band as well as Dan. And if you mean Crimson II, Clive Nolan wrote the lyrics, Dan just adapted them to his vocal patterns. Still, Dan's fucking great :)

IAmEternal said:
I definiately picked the first one, the original Crimson, because of the amazing epic quality and variety of the album. There's much more variety in the clean vocals, from the really deep ones, to the spoken word, to the normal ones, etc.. and I like Dan's clean vocal performance much better. Mike Akerfeldt also contributes some fucking fantastic screams to complement Dan's growls, which were in my opinion more powerful back then. To complement this, something is lacking in the production of Crimson II, sometimes the vocals are too quiet, and it generally sounds a bit washed-out. The first Crimson's production suits the album very well. Crimson I is my favourite album of all time, and the sequel is not that far behind. Dan still never ceases to amaze me, but I think the variety that came out of the backing of a full band elevates Crimson I to it's classic status.
That pretty much summed up how i feel about Crimson I and II... the original is one of my favorite albums.