Crit my Mix of Enslaved - Molotov Solution (Instrumental Cover)

chamberlinick

New Metal Member
Mar 29, 2017
Hey guys this is my first time posting in this forum! I've been recording myself playing guitar for a few years, but really started to get serious about mixing about 5 months ago. I've most recently been working on a cover of the song Enslaved by Molotov Solution and could use some more experienced ears. Any feedback would be wonderful! Feel free to tear my mix apart! Thanks dudes! :)

Here's the link -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pj28s2oh3s6jp5s/Enslaved Instrumental Cover Final.mp3?dl=0

Hi! Nice mix for 5 months experience, but there are some things which personally I don't like.

Your drums have good overall tone, I like the way you compressed them, but they sounds too robotic.

Also, I don't like much your guitar tone. Sounds like you removed too much at 4k kHz, also there are too much low and low mids at your guitar sound.

Reactions: chamberlinick
Hi! Nice mix for 5 months experience, but there are some things which personally I don't like.

Your drums have good overall tone, I like the way you compressed them, but they sounds too robotic.

Also, I don't like much your guitar tone. Sounds like you removed too much at 4k kHz, also there are too much low and low mids at your guitar sound.
Thanks for the feedback! I programmed the drums and probably should have spent more time making them sound natural. As for the guitar tone I did pull out an excessive amount of 4K haha for whatever reason I think my ears are sensitive to 3-4K and I always tend to overdo it there. I'll definitely touch some of those things up!

As for the guitar tone I did pull out an excessive amount of 4K haha for whatever reason I think my ears are sensitive to 3-4K and I always tend to overdo it there. I'll definitely touch some of those things up!
That stuff was popularized by Joey Sturgis some time ago and since that time many guys are making the same mistakes. But, first of all, even if it's a part of his specific sound, removing a 4K wouldn't work in every single situation. And, as Joey told by himself, he hates to mixing guitars so possibly thats an easiest way for him to put guitars into a mix.

As for a drums - try to understand how a real drummer makes his hits and varies a strength of his hits.

Reactions: chamberlinick