Criticise this project.

Terabyte

New Metal Member
Sep 1, 2004
Hey,
OK, I just recorded my mate playing guitar and myself on the drums, What I would really appreciate is some criticism of the recording. Any Aspect.
As a quick background.. Just about every main part in this recording was double tracked. The equipment can’t be changed so “use better equipment” won’t go down very well
Some of the equipment used was M-Audio Firewire solo:hotjump: , Cubase SX 3 :headbang: , Guitars were mic'd with Nady Mics :OMG: . (Will post model later if you must know).
Ignore the voices you hear at the start and the crappy keyboard! I couldn't be bothered to take that out at this stage.
Don't critisise the musicianship either.. Just the recording itself.

Link: gone

Sorry, but this sounds really tiny, flat and unbalanced to me. There's a lot of crackling going on. I hope that I don't sound too rude, just trying to be honest. Good luck.

Dreathus:
1x Nady DM 70.
Pointed the mic at the cone.. touching perpendicular to the surface of the amp... XLR cable straight into M-Audio FW with the signal at a comfortable level half way... and the levels in cubase untouched.
I plan to use an SM57 for the next attempt I make at this... >.<

The drums were actually direct, Roland TD-12 -- Nice piece of kit ;)

The guitars were infact done with a Nady DM70

I think Terabyte misread your post Dreathus. But no matter :)

oops..

yeah sorry I read mic and thought guitar >.<

Indeed as Naraithsil said, the drums were Direct.. Left & Right into the back of an M-Audio firewire box. Added "Drumset" multiband compression as comes in cubase. :p

i like the way the drums sound for the most part, but there is some crackling, like pop rocks on the tongue.....

Now rinse and repeat.....I have two SM56's, they sound really nice on drums, how do you guys like these mics?

ok cool thanks for the feedback guys.
I shall be back with an improoved version some time soon.

guitar sound is still really distorted and there is some weird hum going on in the background. are u still using the nady mic? if so you HAVE to get a sm57 at least no other mic besides maybe a sm58 will do. if your mic placement is the same at the last one then your set on that but watch your clipping and try to play with as little gain on your amp as posisble to still play.

Jordan

That was ok, but that hum at the start has got to go. Also it seems to me you might be pushing your levels a bit much, it all seemed in yer face a bit too much.