Critique my mix please?

A lot depends on the production and writing, but with my limited competence I feel:

1. Stereoimage is strange and unbalanced, guitars are sitting weird on the sides and left is much lower than right side in the first section. Problem eases down quite a bit at 0.55.

2. Overheads sounds like they are pumping to me = overcompressed? Also maybe try taming the shimmer.

3. Bass has no balls and makes no difference in the mix with everything going, can hardly hear it aside from the lowmids where it pops out with that terrible rounded (?) sound that can only come from a misplaced bass. Try making a more ballsy tone that sits well and grooves with the drums going, soloed. Try splitting the frequencies and add some overdrive if you want to. (Look up guides on how to do this properly). Make sure not to overdo it but still keep it audible. Distortion on bass is often overdone and it sounds like shit. It's just there to give some bite and subtly support the guitars.

4. Kick feels placed wrong frequency-wise to me, and sounds ''tappy'' and weak. Did you clean up the ''cardbox''-zone? Try working with different samples if you aren't doing that already. You can split the signal here too and reinforce the sound with different samples. Like having one main sample/real kick, and use another for high slap, and another for a bit fatter punch in the low end etc. Just make sure the kick feels natural by itself in the sound and doesn't have giant holes all over the spectrum when you got all the samples going.

5. Snare sounds lost and like a short click. Work with samples here too, and try to work on your placements in all of the instruments to make room (EQ + Compression).

6. Guitar tone sounds fizzy and muddy and it becomes very obvious during the slow breakdown's chugginess. Did you clean up the high end region fizz, and the lowmids?

7. The general feel is that it is not glued and sounds aren't mixing very well, and a lot of mud to be cleaned up in the lower regions, probably lacking some proper presence too.

Maybe start from there and make sure to listen to every change you do, if it becomes better or worse. Bypass the EQ and turn it back to examine the effects etc. When the records you used to listen to and love start to sound like ass, you're on the right track.:kickass:

Arrangement/performance blows, and a lot of the sound will come from getting it right from the start :(