crits on my guitar recording

phillycheese

Jun 3, 2013
hey guys just some info of what I used
Gtrs L & R - Podfarm with a blackface deluxe impule - guitar is an epiphone les paul custom maple neck and was recorded through m-audio mobilepre mk ii
Bass - Zombass 3
Drums - Studio Drummer

BTW i never recorded part of the guitars i added it in late also im not a good guitar player so anything i come up with is just for fun any tips are appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
The guitars sound too scooped and are lacking presence. Try adding more of the 3k area back in. I think the bass could stand to be about 4db louder as well. Other than that its sounding pretty good

Boosting in the 3k area is not always a great idea. Can sound very harsh on guitars. I usually try too boost as little as possible when it comes to guitars, and trying to cut as much mud and fizz as possible.

thanks for the feedback i did a bit of subtractive eq around the 3k area just cause i found really scratchy frequencies around there. I think im gonna try and the cuts not as strong there about -3db. Ill post an updated version once i have some extra time

Gujukal is right, boosting 3K in this scenario would be a disaster. The problem with this guitar tone is that because it already lacks many of the key fundamental frequencies, you will find yourself pulling out things that don't really need to be cut - with the already abundant lack of low mid, the high mid is going to sound out of control without that context. The issue is more than likely your impulse, dial in a bit more mid into whatever head you are using and use a pod farm cab, or stick with what you have got an use the 'American classic' pre amp to get back some of that lovely 750Hz area - this is what makes a saturated tone warm. Too much will sound lame but this tone needs some low mid. I might add, this song is very well played, a very good take!