Cubase 4 vs. Nuendo 3 (or 4)

nwright

Apr 19, 2005
New Castle, Indiana
www.myspace.com
SO, I run Nuendo 2 right now and I'm looking into jumping up to the newer versions.

As it stand, I got this Nuendo with an educational discount, and I only use it for audio production.

Am I going to miss anything if I upgrade to Cubase 4 instead of Nuendo 3 or 4?

I don't have access to the educational discount now, and the upgrade to Cubase 4 is a bit cheaper. I figure why pay for stuff I don't use and just stick with Cubase...

I think if it's audio production only you'll be fine with Cubase 4. Nuendo 4 has extra features mainly geared toward post production work.

Make sure to get the full version of Cubase 4 if you want to be able to use outboard as inserts and surround monitoring, amongst other things...

I took the comments to mean to get the full version rather than a crossgrade or upgrade...I would be getting Cubase 4, not studio.

Can you buy this stuff used if the owner sells the dongle WITH the software and/or you transfer the license?

actually if you upgrade to the newest version of Nuendo , you'll lose allot of the midi features ( drum editor, score, etc)..

The braintrust at Stienberg figured everybody would love to "buy these features back" by selling them as the NEK pack...

Running Studio 4 here with no complaints of anything lacking... but that's just me and my needs. Surround mixing, could care less. Outboard as inserts, if I had any I might care, but I could always just run the tracks to output channels and then back in, so no biggie there.

~006

Crossgrade/upgrade/academic versions are fine as long as it's not Cubase Studio 4. At first glance Studio 4 may seem cool, but it's lacking some pretty necessary features (for most of us).

What am I missing? I just bought Studio 4 yesterday :lol: Seemed like it had everything I needed.

Do you have a source for this? a link?

Im about to buy cubase 4 any day now, but it would be a bit of a waste if C5 is just around the corner.

In nine days time the 2009 NAMM show will kick off in Anaheim, California and Beatportal will be dropping NAMM tidbits in the run up to, and during, the music technology trade show.

Last year we blogged live from NAMM and managed to get a few scoops (including an interview with legendary synthesizer man Dave Smith).

Out first bit of news is more of a rumour - Steinberg released a statement today that confirms the company has organised a press conference for Day 1 of NAMM, Thursday 15th January.

“We’re sure that the new developments in music production technology we’ll be presenting will be one of the highlights of the show,” they said. MusicRadar thinks Steinberg might use NAMM to drop a new version of the music making software Cubase.

Steinberg continued, “We’re especially proud to share with you the apex of many years of technology developed through our passion to help musicians, composers and producers realise their musical creativity.”

Cubase 4 was released way back in 2006, so it’s definitely time for an upgrade.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech...cubase-5-at-namm-190518?cpn=RSS&source=MRNEWS

I'm using Cubase Studio 4 as my full-time DAW, and it's the best DAW I've ever used. Since I don't do surround mixing, and since I already own tons of plugins, I didn't need the surround mixing or bundled plugins from Cubase 4.

That being said, with Cubase 5 around the corner (most likely) I may upgrade to the full Cubase 5 at that point, depending on what it offers.

What am I missing? I just bought Studio 4 yesterday :lol: Seemed like it had everything I needed.

Depends on your needs really. A lot of the time it's stupid things like:

* You can't change the I/O settings on the mixer channels
* No phase flip/input gain controls
* No surround capability, therefore no quad-channel groups, therefore no sidechaining outside of VST3 plugins (which thus far hardly anyone codes to)
* You can't switch tracks between mono/stereo once they're created

There's more I'm sure. We are always coming across stuff and thinking "WHY would you need to take THAT out??". But thats Steinberg for you.

Depends on your needs really. A lot of the time it's stupid things like:

* You can't change the I/O settings on the mixer channels
* No phase flip/input gain controls
* No surround capability, therefore no quad-channel groups, therefore no sidechaining outside of VST3 plugins (which thus far hardly anyone codes to)
* You can't switch tracks between mono/stereo once they're created

There's more I'm sure. We are always coming across stuff and thinking "WHY would you need to take THAT out??". But thats Steinberg for you.

Interesting, I didn't know most of this. I plan to upgrade to the full version but I'm waiting for v5 to do this. Thanks for posting!

We're also planning to upgrade but not so sure about v5 as zero-point releases tend to be absolute bugfest pigs! It's bad enough handing money over to Steinberg for the dubious honour of being their beta testers without outright torturing ourselves. :p