Upload your Sonar/Cubase/Nuendo Project

jhrv

Mar 27, 2007
Would be great if we upload a sonar/cubase/nuendo project with the audio files to see how everyone work and mix, don't you think?

This can be really helpfull for the noob guys (including me) around here.

Black neon bob, i heard your mixes and liked it a lot.

This can be really helpfull for the noob guys (including me) around here.

Black neon bob, i heard your mixes and liked it a lot.

Cheers man.. and yes, it can be really helpfull if you are starting out.. just now, after 2-3 years of mixing im really starting to do things on my own as well though.. not loading up templates but really trying to understand what goes where from scratch.
And allthough it is good fun to look at others people's templates/project files, you will probably not get the same results, because the input will be different most of the time.

I would advice not hanging on to that stuff too much, just go by your ears first and see what sounds good and what could use improvement.

Good luck! :kickass:

Only template i use is a blank canvas but with all my regularly used tracks named and routed how i want.

No plugins or anything.

jesterroot4, the point is to understand how other people work, as a reference only. For example: How many tracks/busses/routing are you using for every instrument, etc. Wouldn't you like to see a project of a song mixed by andy sneap and see how he works?. I hope you understand my point.

I would really like to study a SONAR 6 project involving Ezdrummer. I think I have an okay sound now but would like it to be bigger - no, not louder - and for that I would like to see how other use compression/limiting on individual tracks, then buses, then on the master. *cough* TheStoryteller *cough*, do you hear me ?

see what sounds good and what could use improvement.

That´s it.
You have to find "your certain" approach to a mix and how it works.
Like, if you think the drums aren´t "big enough", ask yourself what would make it bigger. "Ahh, some reverb I guess". Try a reverb plug, perhaps even with a preset. So now you think the piece is a bit too far away in the mix and too roomy. And the attack lacks. Okay, so ask yourself, what has to be different? "Ahh, that damn pre-delay-stuff kills my transients. I´ll change that. And the room-parameter is set too high, it sounds like in a big hall.".. and so on.
It´s the same with compression, EQ, ...! Just try to find out what´s wrong on the mix to your ears, then try to figure out what would change it and then practice to handle the plug-ins you need to reach the sound you want to achieve.

Additionaly, another good way is comparison. This shouldn´t mean that you take the actual Devildriver and don´t get a chance to sleep until your stuff sounds exactly like it (which would be way to hard to be set as a goal, esp. for beginners). But you can listen to it and figure out -why- you like the sound of the snare for example. Then listen to your stuff and find out what you don´t like on -your- snare. Compare. Ahh, the sample Andy Sneap used is a) more punchy attackwise and b) even a totally different tuned snare compared to yours. So get yourself another sample (in this case Andy´s to start with :p).

I think you know what I mean and I guess that´s one of the best ways to learn the stuff.

Seb

Like, if you think the drums aren´t "big enough", ask yourself what would make it bigger. "Ahh, some reverb I guess". Try a reverb plug, perhaps even with a preset. So now you think the piece is a bit too far away in the mix and too roomy. And the attack lacks. Okay, so ask yourself, what has to be different? "Ahh, that damn pre-delay-stuff kills my transients. I´ll change that. And the room-parameter is set too high, it sounds like in a big hall.".. and so on.

I've been mixing for a year now and that little paragraph was actually helpful. :)