Cubase 5 - Semi-Automatic Drumediting - New Concept!!

dcb

nerd
Dec 7, 2008
guys, i can finally say i have something new for you.

(UPADTE : added a clip to see how it sounds. it was not recorded at my place, overheads and room mics are far from perfect sounding in first place...
still this works : )
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3233582/cubase_phase coherent multitimetstretching.mp3)

[WHAT EXACTLY IS THIS ??]

a semi automatic drumediting concept using cubases sample editor and audiowarp. it goes a little further than what i posted last year.
It uses timestretching and automatic transient detection.
i quantized a 3 minute song in 30 minutes. you still have to go through
all notes, listen back and correct some parts. also i havent tested this on really fast stuff. its great for groove orientated drumtracks,
but it will also work on everything else i guess (but the automatic part of this will work better for slower stuff).

add : This concept is mainly for people who sample replace
their shellset, as this fucks with transients and decays of "wooden instruments" way more noticibale than on cymbals, as it timestretches
your audio.

[THE "I ALREADY KNOW THAT" PART]
info : if you know how to quantize a stereo file in cubases sample editor you can skip this, but i recommend reading.

1. consolidate your multitracks of kick,sn etc. with the audio starting at 00:00 .
2. export your tracks (kick,sn,oh, hh, toms) into one surround file (this part is not new)a stereo file will also work,
but you wont see the transients as good as in a surround file.
call this track "multidrs.wav" >> import back into project.
3.use hitpoint generator to auto detect transients. make sure you have the right bpm and also switch to drum stretching mode (preserves transients better) set threshhold of so it detects all transients in your file.
(tip: if cubase has problems detecting, heres what i do :
- >> use transient designers on all tracks (except ohs) and emphasize all transients. keep in mind that it doesnt matter how the tracks will sound, because were only using this sourround file as a reference, not the actual audio!) after you emphasize all transients, cubase will detect them and genereate hitpoints.
4. right mouse click >> generate warp anchors from hitpoints (sorry im on german cubase)
5. now comes the magic >> right click mouse >> audio >> quantize
tadaaa!!! for simple stuff this works wonders. of course cubase will move some beats to the wrong "nearest neighbor". but damn, now you have warp anchors on all transients automatically + some parts of the song are already perfectly quantized!!!
6. Listen through the song. make adjustments. you will have to fix some spots, material dependent.
7. Now we have a perfectly quantized / timestretched drummer ;-)

[THE NEW PART]

1. Select you track >> File>Export>Selected Tracks
What we're doing with this is we're basically generating an xml file
with all the timestretchign information.

2. here is the tricky part :
open this newly genereated xml file and look for a filepath
(for example C:\AUDIO\SONGXY\AUDIO)
and change it to where your consolidated drumtracks are.
( fpr example C:\AUDIO\SONGXY\DRUMS)
Save the xml File.

3. now make a copy for every multitrack in your project,
for example : kick.xml; sn top.xml; sn bot.xml

they should be named exactlyafter your tracks file names.

4. here is the annoying part i have no faster way to do this atm:
open every xml file one by one in notepad and change the name
"multidrs.wav" into the according filename (kick.wav; sn top.wav etc.)
its crucial that you pay attention to what you type in. i had a typo
once and it took me about 10 minutes to look through all the files...

5. now in your project go >> import >> track archive (hope thats the english word, again im on german cubase)

6. now you should have all your tracks timestretched and in phase!!

[LAST WORDS]

this seems to be complicated. its not actually. i edited a 4 track ep in 2 hours with this method. hope you guys like it! try it out! leave me a comment how to improve this ;-)
maybe there is a way to automatically rename the files.. something like a little tool to change filenames..

sounds really cool for the cubase camp, although the hardcore editors are still gonna roll their eyes at time stretching multi-track drums. i foresee dozens of demands for a video in the immediate future, haha

Yeah dude, time stretching drums is just a fucking horrid idea in general. Say good-bye to phase coherency!

Hit by hit with cut/slip is the only way to go in Cubase, until they implement a tab to transient feature.

Yeah dude, time stretching drums is just a fucking horrid idea in general. Say good-bye to phase coherency!

Hit by hit with cut/slip is the only way to go in Cubase, until they implement a tab to transient feature.

coming from a reaper/PT guy,

even with tab>trans, the ol' snip n slip is still the fastest way short of (arguably) beat detective, depending on the material

coming from a reaper/PT guy,

even with tab>trans, the ol' snip n slip is still the fastest way short of (arguably) beat detective, depending on the material

Yeah... ideally, I'd be using tab to trans or BD to split at transients and manually align those, then use BD to smooth the edits... but fuck, snip n slip is so easy and gives SO much control, even if it takes 2 hrs a song.

naah, time stretching with this method is phase coherent, thats
why i came up with this. :loco: belieeeve mmmeeeeee.

try it out, it saved me 50 % of editing time...

sounds really cool for the cubase camp, although the hardcore editors are still gonna roll their eyes at time stretching multi-track drums. i foresee dozens of demands for a video in the immediate future, haha

hehe, i thought about that. maybe i will... but ive never done somehting like that.. maybe need everyones help here, what screen recorder should i use ?

maybe if i have 10 request for a video, i will do it, hehe ;-)

go

There was an article in Sound on Sound about editing multitrack drums in cubase. The basic idea they had was to make a comp of the tracks you want to edit by. Open the sample editor for it and make hitpoints to the transients. Then generate markers from the hitpoints and use a macro to move to the next marker and cut all the drum tracks at that point. When your done and you have a slice at each transient on all the drum tracks, highlight and hit Q, delete overlap, then crossfade. No time stretching.

Seems like a better variation to the detect silence method from the Club Cubase tutorial, but im still using slip editing when it finally comes time to edit drums.

im still using slip editing when it finally comes time to edit drums.

yeah,thats what i did for the last 3 years, and finally i have this new method saving time ;-) haha, i have the feeling that people here are sooo sceptical,
maybe i should post an mp3 to prove that this method is totally transparrent although it makes use of timestretching.

i never liked the sound of edited hihats with slip editing... but thats just personal preference i guess...

anyway : anyone tried this method ??

naah, time stretching with this method is phase coherent, thats
why i came up with this. :loco: belieeeve mmmeeeeee.

try it out, it saved me 50 % of editing time...

I don't buy this, at all. I don't have any editing projects to try it on, but the concept of time stretching is never phase coherent - that's why Elastic Audio sucks ass on drum editing, too.

Even if the transients and drum hits are phase coherent, say goodbye to stereo image in your overheads/rooms!

I don't buy this, at all. I don't have any editing projects to try it on, but the concept of time stretching is never phase coherent - that's why Elastic Audio sucks ass on drum editing, too.

Even if the transients and drum hits are phase coherent, say goodbye to stereo image in your overheads/rooms!

it's true o_o

time stretching fundamentally needs to modify the source material in order to maintain pitch. time stretching but leaving something phase accurate is only possible with the pitch going up or down (like if you sped up or slowed down tape) resulting in chipmunks/darth vader-esque pitch shifting.

so you're saying that two tracks that were initially phase coherent are time stretched by the same amount and that ruins the phase coherence?

Don't see why.......

okay....

time stretch with no pitch adjustment: certainly phase coherent
pitch shifting: certainly phase coherent

time stretch + pitch shift therefore must also be phase coherent.

Try doing it with a stereo recording such as an overhead mic setup. It fucks with the stereo image.

jeff, no problems at all with stereo image .
listen to this clip i did for my latest editing/mixing job. :

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3233582/cubase_phase coherent multitimetstretching.mp3

did it with the method described above.
(remember i sitll have 2 overheads and 2 room mics for this mix)

i havent tried that on real shellsets (this band only provided ugly trigger signals, hehe

it might not be noticable 100% of the time, i definitely used to edit drums in PT using elastic audio across grouped tracks, but you DEFINITELY start to realize what it's doing after a bit. the fundamental mechanics of how a time stretch works messes with phase. think about it, if you're stretching a sound without changing its pitch, you are ADDING new audio, which means there MUSSST be more or fewer sine waves (might not be the proper term in this context). if you DON'T need to maintain pitch, then the sine waves themselves can be made longer or shorter, thus maintaining the phase relation, but not the pitch.

zoom in until you can see the wave forms, have a look, then print a timestretch and see if just the sinewaves stretched out or if something entirely different is going on.

i'm not saying this method is terrible and no one should do it, i bet itt'l work awesome for alot of you guys, i'm just saying that it's not possible to time stretch drums and have it be phase perfect 100% of the time.

EDIT: that's why's theres so many different algorithms and brands of timestretch, to stretch audio there needs to be some serious number crunching and magic going on.

example, the "rhythmic" algorithm in protools strives to preserve the attack and decay of transients and it does this by detecting them and attempting to leave them in their proper place. now if you group 8 drumtracks, and have all the anchors in the same spot, the algorithm is still going to be working independently on each track at transient detecting and processing the audio accordingly. so while listening it will sound synced up, it's modifying the source material differently on each track.

i realize that we're talking about cubase and not protools here, the point is that a timestretch is a hugely sophisticated algorithm and it works by modifying the source material in a phase destructive manner when going across multiple mics on the same source.

where's JBroll jeff when ya need him, he'd explain it right. haha

it might not be noticable 100% of the time, i definitely used to edit drums in PT using elastic audio across grouped tracks, but you DEFINITELY start to realize what it's doing after a bit.

well it works perfectly fine for my stuff (have you listened to the file ?)
of course in theory this might be a problem, but i dont care as long as it sounds 100 % correct ;-)

but yeah, i wouldnt use this strategy on real snares/kicks.

in this example phase coherency might not be as important, because
i high pass my oh/room @ 300 Hz...