Cubase 5 users??? Most annoying things about it??

My issue with 5 is that it's still the same DAW that 3 was, except with all the features that should've already been in 3. The DAW is getting outclassed all-round. PT8 left it in the dust, and it seems Logic soon will too. Can't imagine Studio One would be a different story.

Why do you think Cubase sucks so much? I agree that there is not a lot of differences between sx3 and cubase5, but what is c5 missing exactly that other daws have, except beat detective and tab to transient?

Most of the times when people start thread about problems in cubase the answer was just in the help window.

No major annoyances here. I agree that having a more direct way to time correct multi-mic drum tracks would be nice. Working on a 4 song EP for a friends' band at the moment, and I used Lasse's method/macro for doing this with good results, but it is clearly a workaround.

I've heard a rumour from a good source that Steinberg is planning a multi-track time correct feature specifically for drums for the 5.5 update, but I'm not sure what the time frame on that is.

I think I'm probably looking at going back to a Hackintosh setup (used to have one on this same machine and it worked fine) and dropping Reaper and using Logic 9. Gotta get our album finished mixing. But I tell you what, Logic is very appealing to me now that you can have Pro-Tools style edit groups. That was really the only feature I ever rated in Pro-Tools. Everything else seems fairly standard shit that all DAW's have. Now that Logic has edit groups, nothing stands in my way.

Ok ok ..... i just shared my personal experience on the subject like the thread asked for.
i got the point that my opinion is not valid for you guys.

Sorry to rub you the wrong way. I went back and read your post and I originally misunderstood what you said. I thought you claimed that Sonar did things that Cubase could not do with respect to midi, but all you said is that it does the same thing, so I apologize for that. I know Sonar very well and, yes it does get the job done with midi.

I think I'm probably looking at going back to a Hackintosh setup (used to have one on this same machine and it worked fine) and dropping Reaper and using Logic 9. Gotta get our album finished mixing. But I tell you what, Logic is very appealing to me now that you can have Pro-Tools style edit groups. That was really the only feature I ever rated in Pro-Tools. Everything else seems fairly standard shit that all DAW's have. Now that Logic has edit groups, nothing stands in my way.

logic 8 had edit groups too......maybe even versions before that?

although looks like 9 has definitely improved on them.

I discovered a bug in Cubase 5 today whilst editing some guitar DI tracks, Googled it and found a ton of threads about it on the Steinberg forums.

Apparently this has been a bug since SX3 and also affects Nuendo - use lane view, edit some audio, crossfade a few things. Then go to Edit->Advanced->Delete Overlaps. CRASH!!! Happens on Mac or Windows apparently, and Steinberg hasn't fixed it. The only workaround is to make sure NOT to crossfade until you have deleted your overlaps. :loco:

Not too big of a deal, at least these tracks are pretty tight in the first place so I'm not doing anything more than sectional edits and the occasional beat-level edit, but Steinberg needs to fix this, it's a really stupid bug.

I discovered a bug in Cubase 5 today whilst editing some guitar DI tracks, Googled it and found a ton of threads about it on the Steinberg forums.

Apparently this has been a bug since SX3 and also affects Nuendo - use lane view, edit some audio, crossfade a few things. Then go to Edit->Advanced->Delete Overlaps. CRASH!!! Happens on Mac or Windows apparently, and Steinberg hasn't fixed it. The only workaround is to make sure NOT to crossfade until you have deleted your overlaps. :loco:

Not too big of a deal, at least these tracks are pretty tight in the first place so I'm not doing anything more than sectional edits and the occasional beat-level edit, but Steinberg needs to fix this, it's a really stupid bug.

Aha!! I got a crash once when did that delete overlaps on a vocal track once. Never had it since and had no idea why it happened. Great to know! :headbang:

but Steinberg needs to fix this, it's a really stupid bug

the sad thing is Cubase ( while pretty awesome) is ran by Steinberg..a company that shits all over there user base daily...Look for the bug to get fixed in a paid update or abandoned all together and swept under the rug!

I agree that bug is not a deal breaker but When I was a licensed Nuendo user they were terrible about fixing bugs...

Haha, wazzup with all this Steinberg bashing? :)

IMO, Logic and PT are getting more and more like Cubase for every update. When Apple released Logic 8, pretty much every single new feature on it was based/stolen from Cubase, like the way to edit between multiple takes on the same track which Cubase have had since 2004-2005 was suddenly considered awesome just because Apple implemented it. Not to mention some basic changes in work flow I remember Logic users went "oh, this is how it's supposed to work... things were somehow backwards prior to Logic 8" which pretty much all came from how Cubase worked. Logic 9, even more similar features added, with a little spin on them I might add which in some cases seem better and more advanced. PT 8... a lot of features/looks based/stolen on Cubase/Logic.

Sure PT and Logic sure have their gems that Cubase doesn't have but in terms of work flow and main features they copy a lot of Steinberg stuff. To be fair though Steinberg has copied some great features off of Logic and PT also especially when Cubase 4 came out and it would be great if they still could implement an "import tracks from other projects" feature as PT's had forever and Logic just got in version 9. A beat detective would also be awesome...

But Cubase is still one of the most user friendly, advanced platforms out there and I think one of the reasons a lot of people don't realize this is because it's like 90% pirated and as a result guys just haven't read the manual. :p

Man, I've read the manual and seen 3 DVDs of tutorials! Watching the guys run through it made me realize my brain just isn't wired the same way as Steinberg. I'd take Playlists over Lanes any day, proper track grouping, and a singular smart tool instead of using all 9 or whatever of Cubase's tools, Beat Detective over nothing, a clean UI instead of one that's all over the place, proper routing instead of constricted routing etc. etc. Resisting.Urge.To.Rant.

I think part of the reason it's pirated so vastly is because paid users get virtually no support from Steinturd. If you find a bug here or there you may as well pray about it, as it'll give you the same amount of chance it'll be addressed in a prompt update. Say what you will about Reaper, but man do those guys have the right idea about quashing bugs.

What do you think about the new Studio One coming out? It's looking pretty cool. Made by the developer of Nuendo.

:lol:

Ermz, I didn't realize you have PT. Considering the ranting, why do you even use Cubase at all if you have PT?

+1

I have come to the conclusion that I actually agree with everything Ermz says about Cubase vs. PT, but that I still prefer Cubase, because it is the better app for my projects/needs. Conversely, I think PT is the better app for Ermz. There are sacrifices in quality on both sides, and the two apps will never be on exactly even footing in every way. I'm glad that the DAW marketplace is as competitive as it is, options are good!

Seems like M-Powered and a Profire 2626 would be a pretty sweet setup these days, the best bang for buck on the PT side. And you could still use it with Cubase if you felt nostalgic! :lol: