cubase problem, inputs stop working after opening certain project files

s34nsm411

May 3, 2004
i just started getting this weird problem where certain project files of mine (it seems to happen only after working on them for a while) become corrupted somehow and disable audio input in cubase

a little background: normally when i work on a project, every time i save i go by a number system chronologically so i can always go back to a previous point in the mix should i need to, and in the case of my problem i can go back and find the file where audio input stops working. after looking at it and the next save file where input does not work i dont see any drastic changes or new plugins that would cause this

basically what happens is, ill open up cubase and without doing anything i can tap my mic and see the input meter in the little transport panel jump up, so i know input is working then. after that i can create a new project and everything is still dandy, but once i open up one of the files that have been somehow corrupted, the input stops registering alltogether. and after that i can create a completely new project and it will still not work, the only way i can get audio input back is to completely close and reopen the program.

if anyone has any idea of whats going on i would greatly appreciate it

Sorry i can't help you because i'm not a cubaser, but i still have an advice which may help you now and in the future:

IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YOUR SOFTWARE/HARDWARE AND YOU WANT SOMEONE TO HELP YOU - ALWAYS TRY TO GIVE AS MUCH INFO AS POSSIBLE !

Cubase version ?
Your soundcard & drivers version.
Full system specs.
etc
etc
etc

re Files being "corrupted" - how old is your HDD ?

well im using nuendo 3.2.0, ive tried opening files that dont seem to work in cubase also though and they still wont get audio input to work

im using a focusrite saffire interface as my soundcard, ive tried switching to my onboard soundcard and it still doesnt work though

from further messing around with it, it seems like the files get corrupted (and i say corrupted not because it seems like my hdd is losing data but because somehow the files get flagged by nuendo to not make the inputs work) by having lots of cpu load from many plugins

for example i was mixing 3 songs for a band, all tracked within their own project files so i know the audio inputs were working, and then i merged them all to one big project file so they would all be going through the same mixer settings etc

by doing so i had probably twice as much cpu load as just one song from all the little extra tracks that need their own effects, then the audio input stopped working in that big project file after it was just created and previously worked like an hour before i started merging all of them

it would be interesting to see if audio input worked if i posted one of my corrupted project files and someone else tried opening it... im gonna try some more testing on it first and i might try this if i cant figure it out