Cul - Be Careful What You Wish For

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Cul - Be Careful What You Wish For...
Independant release - available through website.
By Philip Whitehouse

Visit the Cul web site.

I had the pleasure of seeing these guys perform alongside the band one of my best friends plays bass for, Clay, at a pub gig in Wolverhampton last month. They've already done rather well for themselves, having apparently played alongside Morbid Angel and releasing this 11-track debut CD. Having been sufficiently impressed by the band's live performance to succesfully blag a copy of the CD, I can confirm that Cul won't be playing pub gigs for very long if there is any justice in the world.

Playing melodic death metal with classical and traditional influences, Cul set out their stall from the beginning with album opener 'Man Became God'. Starting with some unnerving feedback, the track soon explodes into a pummelling riff with suitably crushing drums and impressive, growling vocals. After a while, the brutality makes way for a brief acoustic guitar section before dementia sets in again and the heaviness returns.

Second track 'My Body My Tomb' is probably my favourite, starting with a mix of unobtrusive power chords and a melodic, relaxing acoustic guitar section before making way for more growls and some slower-paced but no less powerful heaviness.

Despite being an independant release, the production on this CD is actually very good, with all the instruments set in the mix at the appropriate volumes - listen with headphones to fully appreciate the interplay between acoustic guitar, electric guitars and bass.

The structuring of the songs is intelligent and effective, and the inclusion of a cello on some songs is a stroke of genius, adding to the atmosphere of the music and further highlighting Cul's individuality within a fairly crowded musical genre.

Overall, Cul are a band with a promising future ahead of them, and I look forward to seeing them live again sometime - hopefully at a somewhat more prominent venue than the Varsity in Wolverhampton!

9/10