What do you wish for the next Katatonia album?

some jungle vibes
a green cover with yellow trees on it
a very very slow deep depressive drunken true distorted bass solo
a backwards played slide guitar
distorted elk growls

no angels choirs
no dudelsack (i hate dudelsack!)

I guess i basically want them to continue evolving like they have. The two latest albums are the best, i think, so they should just keep on doing their thing. But i would like some longer "epic" songs.

I'm awaiting the next attempt of Katatonia with completely blank mind.I know only that they will 'just' present another amaising creation.I don't think that they will surprise us with something in the "old style",surely the scent of the sulfur won't be completely forgotten.I wish just the true Katatonia,but I don't have to wish this,because Katatonia have already proved,that even the adverse circumstances can't make them lie down and say they are done..I wish that the purity and the genuineness of the ideas suprise me again.Without doubt the balance between heaviness and melancholy will be proof..Maybe artwork in creepy gray or green is the closest to my notion,almost everybody here prefers red,i don't know,red is not exactly a katatonic colour for me, although
i own one very beautiful "We must bury you"-wallpaper in red-the idea and the grafic performance concur very capably with the music..I wish better no duets and i think that Katatonia perfectly match the length of their creations...

i know your all gonna get mad about me saying this, but i really think that Slipknots latest album has some really good stuff that Katatonia could do. i know, its more like slipknot got influenced by katatonia than vice versa, but i think those are the times you feel that katatonia effects you the most. just plain acoustic-guitar songs with clean vocals, that suddenly bursts into some metal-inferno. see, there are some really mellow songs on the new Slipknot album, just listen to 'Circle', 'Vermilion pt.2' etc. and those, the mellow parts, are what makes Katatonia what they are. more depressive stuff!

btw, for those of you who hate slipknot, i just wanna add that Daniel Liljekvist has 2 slipknot tattoos :oops:

I'm not really worried about the new musical direction, I actually think it's pointless to try and guess at it anyhow. All I know is they will make another great album and it will sound nothing like anything else they've done...however to be a good sport and play the game I would like to see

The guitar lines (pre viva) to come back, maybe not throughout the whole album but on some songs

more keyboards - very effective on viva -the first time they've used synths extensively since DoDS...I would like to see more of this, not in a cheesy way or an artsy way, but just for creating a very dark atmosphere

production - leave it alone, the sound on Viva is A+, it's not exactly polished but has a vibrant warm sound too

Less 'heavy' guitar sound - i don't really care for more songs like Ghost Of The Sun - I like the track, but I think carefully crafted melody is way more important to katatonia's sound then down tuned chuga-chuga power chords

Diversity - this is important, I would like more acoustic songs like Omerta, A premonition and more of the sad gloomy stuff as found on discouraged ones, and some more upbeat tracks from LFDGD and Viva...I think they are done with growling and doom metal stuff although it would be nice to hear them make a couple of songs like Inside the City of Glass, but i simply think it's more exciting to hear them extend their sound

I think Katatonia is just an amazing band, i have total faith in them in whatever they choose, as long as it stays dark, sad and honest

why getting mad, zeroMaximum?
don't wanna deny completely everything you said, but as a whole - it's kinda ridiculous. and before you drift along and blame me for my ignorance - yes, i've heared the new Slipknot album and i think it's great!
the only parallel you could draw in this case is about the development itself and the improvement, not the musical path, essence, nature, etc.
o.k., i know Daniel has two slipknot tattoos, so what? i know he's a fan and there's nothing wrong with this, his drum skills remind a lot of Slipknot's aggression and that fits Katatonia good, but i don't think there could be other relevant analogy.
hardly believe Katatonia's sound could go in that direction.. they have radically different аpproach to the depressive stuff you're talking about.

sorry, i was kinda tired and confused, i wanted to see how people reacted to the whole slipknot thing and i messed it all up. i do know that katatonia did that stuff before slipknot, i just wanted to (since Vol.3 is pretty much the only album i listen to right now) recommend it. in a way. as i said it all got kinda messy :(

oh and btw i still want more of the depressive stuff

hey, it's o.k. i got it.
didn't want to be that harsh.
haven't listened to them since their self-titled album actually, it was a great surprise indeed, they have grown a lot.

I think Daniel has slipknot tattoos because they have a badass drummer, shit the whole band is badasses. Slipknot is a very talented band but the aggression factor just doesnt fit for me, I am far more relaxed than that. We still like you Zeromaximum, dont feel bad. I have posted some wierd stuff on here myself, very late and in a wierd state of mind, and then felt dumb or had someone bash what I said. You are not alone:)

The thing I want most is for Blakkheim to continue doing his sorrow leads...for me, the spirit of Katatonia resides in those leads and I thought VE suffered because of their abscence. Don't get me wrong, it was still a great album, but I just felt like it was missing something when I listened to it. The only song on the album that seems to have them is "Inside the City of Glass", which is definitely one of my favorites. So...

Keep the sorrow leads, please!!!

I'm reasonably newish to Katatonia...

I started off with Brave Murder Day and I have wandered about all over the place... I must say I prefer their new direction MUCH more... Infact, I am addicted to Discouraged Ones, and even prefer it over Brave Murder Day in some ways...

Right now I'm listening to Tonight's Decision (bought it tonight), and like every Katatonia album, it's different. I like that about these guys, they're unpredictable, but definately have a clear path. They are a VERY underrated band imho.

So, what would I like to see in the next album?

- Less solos, more bridges
- slightly more complex drum fills
- riffing akin to Discouraged Ones
- Aggression similar to Brave Murder Day, but keeping the clean vocals (I honestly LOVE Katatonia with clean vocals, it darkens & deepens the entire mood, and I think in some ways makes things more Doomy.
- More acoustics
- A couple of tracks like Omerta (that song made me shed a couple of tears a few times I must say, it's a sweeping emotional epic!!! BRILLIANT!!!)
- a thicker wall of guitars, but not crunchier.

- all this, without losing what makes their music definitively Katatonia, and with their infamous ability to expand and progress.

I have the utmost faith!

Looking fwd to buying Last Fair Deal Gone Down and Vivia Emptiness in a big way.

RuinerXL said:
The thing I want most is for Blakkheim to continue doing his sorrow leads...for me, the spirit of Katatonia resides in those leads and I thought VE suffered because of their abscence. Don't get me wrong, it was still a great album, but I just felt like it was missing something when I listened to it. The only song on the album that seems to have them is "Inside the City of Glass", which is definitely one of my favorites. So...

Keep the sorrow leads, please!!!
yeah agreed! But it seems like Anders has bought a new guitar, so I think we should expect more sorrow leads on the next album!!!!

As for Slipknot, they have some really good stuff technically speaking, their drumming is impressive! But Kata are much better and on a total different planet...

I figure it'll never happen, but just from a "that would be interesting to see" point of view, I'd like to see songs similar to their old style, but with clean vocals.
As for what I'd realisticly like to see on the next album, I don't care. I'm sure whatever they come up with will be cool.

ether said:
yeah agreed! But it seems like Anders has bought a new guitar, so I think we should expect more sorrow leads on the next album!!!!

Actually I think Anders did buy a new guitar, or he is putting a new one together. I have noticed some guitar hardware being bought by him. Either that or he is adding to his SG.

To be happy, i need doble bass, growls, melodic but dark and heavy songs like the old era, longer songs (at least 5-6 minutes), and some short songs like Gone....
But i will be happy if the new cd are the oppositte of this!