What do you want on the next album?

Hi,
as most of you probably know we're currently working on a new album. I'm curious to know what you guys expect from us. What do you want more or less of? Should we do more faster songs or slower songs? Do you want more acoustic parts? What about the sound? Do you think Vintersorg sucks? Has Tyr too many strings on his bass? What about Lars' one-finger-technique? Hehe, please let us know your thoughts!

- Asgeir

I enjoy tyr's bass "solo" portions on the last album, and i would also i like to hear more songs like The genuine pulse. Basically i think that the last album was pretty well balanced, but i would like to see some more fast heavy songs. The sound was good on the last album. Vintersog does not suck in the least bit. I think tyr should try a 12 string bass, that would be interesting.

This is not the first time I see a band asking the fans what they expect from a new album and while I completely agree with Morg that a band should always do what they want to do I can imagine it is interesting to know for the band how fans see different things, what expectations and wishes they have. What's difficult about the whole thing is that everybody's got a different opinion on how the band should sound like (just look which albums to get next are being recommended - everybody mentioned another one) and you'll never please anyone.

Personally, I am very pleased with the direction of Empiricism. Like En Vinds Av Sorg just said it does have a good balance/dynamic, which is probably why I'm still not tired of the disc and it's still on constant rotation in my player. mr V did a fantastic job on Empiricism, and I also like the overall sound of the album. Everything that will evolve from the point of where the band was with Empiricism should be fine with me.

On a not so serious note: I don't care for Lars' one-finger-technique, but Tyr should definitely only use 2 strings on the upcoming album ;) :p

Vintersorg is wonderful, and his performance on Empiricism was orgasmic. I don't really think there is anything in particular I would have him do differently. The mix of clean and grim vocals was perfect..

I too would prefer more songs like The Genuine Pulse, but do not neglect more Gods of my World type songs. The key is balance. Do not overload on one end or the other, but don't take the position of making everything mid-paced. Rather to have very different original songs than having the songs in and of themselves be balanced.

I love Tyrs basework, and I love the little trills he plays all the time.. I would think that a total bass solo would not sound that good in accordance to the Borknagar sound, but I love the fills.

The drumming of course is perfect, and I especially like the work on The Genuine Pulse. Unpredictability and fills are key.

Just... make the fast and heavy parts fast and heavy and the quiet contemplative moments just like they should be...

The only specific thing I really would like to see is more of the use of the Piano sound

I want more atmospheric stuff like Revolt, and I want more godly choruses like on The genuine pulse and Gods of my world.

I think you have a good balance of fast and slow parts on Empyricism. As long as you don't have too many blastbeats on there, I'll be a happy camper. Blastbeats can destroy a good groove, IMHO.

Would be cool if there were some more guitar solos on it...Empiricism had to few of them IMO; I've heard quite some people 'complain' about this fact...

Other than that...well, I'm fine as long as the next one won't have any reggea or polka parts...

But seriously, putting Tyr a little higher in the mix would not be a bad thing
True! :)

Morning...
Originally posted by Gaunerin
Personally, I am very pleased with the direction of Empiricism. Like En Vinds Av Sorg just said it does have a good balance/dynamic, which is probably why I'm still not tired of the disc and it's still on constant rotation in my player. mr V did a fantastic job on Empiricism, and I also like the overall sound of the album. Everything that will evolve from the point of where the band was with Empiricism should be fine with me.
*Morg totally agrees here...*

Of course Morg is right. Do what you want.

Personally, I enjoy the acoustic riffs and the choir sounding vocals like at the end of Gods of My World.

The drumming is perfect. Complex fills. As stated before, very unpredictable. Great cymbal work.

Vintersorg is great. Nuff' said.

I liked the balance on Empiricism between some slow songs, some mid temop, and one really fast. :) I like it varied.

I very much enjoy Tyr's work. As well as Lar's. Just keep doing what you are doing, everyone.

I suspect this album will be the best yet.;)

EDIT: My dad says you should listen to Lenard Cohan for inspiration.:confused: (He is going for humor there, please forgive him.:()

-Borknagar has always been good at under-using awesome melodies. More songs with God-choruses.

-Songs that rely more on vocal melodies, as opposed to keyboards. Mr. V's vocals were also mixed far too low in Empiricism. They need to be put to the front.

-With 2 guitarists, I would imagine more interesting guitar arrangements could also be accomplished; more guitar texture.

-Contrast between Mr. V's growls and cleans create great drama, like in Genuine Pulse. It should be used more.

-I'm hoping for a bit more upbeat songs, like The Genuine Pulse. Empiricism had too many slow to mid-paced songs, making them all blend together. More variety in this departement.

-The production on Quintessence was far too muddled and thick, and I think Empiricism is a bit too thin, particularly on the drums. A golden middle road would be better.

-A guest appearance from Mr. Vortex, possibly together with Vintersorg.

-That the band ultimately makes music to please themselves, not others.

Mere gittar!!!

The guitars need to be more present on the next album.
I would also like some more up-tempo songs.

I'd like to hear more of Tyr's bass, I agree that Empiricism was a bit thin, more bass and beefier drums would be better. And more fat guitarsound.
And personally I'd like to hear more clean vocals.
Regarding the the sleeve design and the band pics, don't forget the majestic beards!!!!

...choruses someone said.......just wait and see, I think I've come up with some really nice ones......................

mr V

MORE HAMMOND!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you can record 5 instrumental pices with only hammond :p seriusly, i love hammond parts by Lars. besides this i can say what said Ormir: more fast parts like "The Genuine Pulse", more wars between growls and cleans, production line on "E", but a little lower tunes, esp. for drums... well, that's all...

Originally posted by asgeir
Hi,
as most of you probably know we're currently working on a new album. I'm curious to know what you guys expect from us. What do you want more or less of? Should we do more faster songs or slower songs? Do you want more acoustic parts? What about the sound? Do you think Vintersorg sucks? Has Tyr too many strings on his bass? What about Lars' one-finger-technique? Hehe, please let us know your thoughts!

- Asgeir

...I never expect any band to sound a certain way.

...I would like hearing the vocals from all, in different songs.

...Fast songs are great with slow parts or whatever is applied to the songs.

...I like that in your main melodie it seems every instument has its parts in the background (atmosphere so to speak)

...Vintersorg should definately stay. I don't think he sucks,

...Tyrs bass is great, I like using bass effect on my guitar and it only ends up a six string bass. I think the more the merry'er.

...Lars puts a finger on sounding very Borknagarisk, a wonderful entity to the sound.

~Good to hear your working on a new album!~ Looking Onward!