What do you wish for the next Katatonia album?

Hypnos

steck ihn nei!
Feb 5, 2002
Visit site
My points:

what should stay the same:
- the heaviness
- songs like 'A Premonition' and 'Omerta'
- decent growls like in 'Ghost Of The Sun'

what shoud appear in addition:
- more guitar solos
- some longer songs or better said: more variation in songlength
- acoustic guitars
- some guest musician appearance: f.e. Vinnie Cavanath
Imagine a duet with Jonas...
- more of 'Inside The City Of Glass'-like music

Btw. which color-scheme could the next album have. If you look carefully you'll se that each album-cover had a dominant color:

'Dance...' - pink/violet
'Brave...' - dark violet
'Discouraged...' - yellow/orange
'Tonight's...' - blue
'LFDGD' - some pale brown/beige etc.
'VE' - grey

Great thread :)
Ya know I just want them to evolve like they have been since they formed. I love the fact that every time I have bought a new alblum by Katatonia it has been different. They grow up a little bit more, musically and probably in their personal life as well. I guess I canappreciate their new direction because ( it seems) that they have grown at the rate I have grown. We are the same age. I love everything they have ever done so to me it wouldnt matter if they went backward but their trackrecord shows that they are gonna blow our minds again by doing something a bit newer sounding musically with the same melancholic undertones.
I would like them to advance like they have been. I think another Omertaish song would be appropriate although they usually have one song that is instrumental or something on every alblum. I am enjoying Daniels drumming so a continuation of that would be nice. I would prefer the Mattias's base to be a little more present in the mix as well.
I want these things in a most humble way, knowing that what they do will be better that I could have planned.

I wish:
- something heavy
- something strange
- something beautiful
- something sad
- something unexpected
- no guest musicians (pure Katatonia is the best!)
- always more bass :)
- colour: RED

what should stay the same:
- the heaviness - sure but as long as it's not overly simplified or heavy just for the sake of being heavy
- songs like 'A Premonition' and 'Omerta' - Yes, Fred needs to write more, A Premonition is a great song.
- decent growls - except done by Jonas, one song with his growls would be a beautiful thing. Not that Daniel's vocals are all that bad but he's no Jonas. Or have Anders do some.

what shoud appear in addition:
- more guitar solos - always welcome along with the dissonant lead melody over the rhythm needs more prominence.
- some longer songs or better said: more variation in songlength - i wouldn't mind
- acoustic guitars - if it works with the song sure
- some guest musician appearance: f.e. Vinnie Cavanath
Imagine a duet with Jonas... - No, just no
- more of 'Inside The City Of Glass'-like music - i'm not too fond of it but i'm sure there are many who do like it

Btw. which color-scheme could the next album have. If you look carefully you'll se that each album-cover had a dominant color:

Red or maybe a deep hunter green

I thought Nyström's clean vocals on Diabolical Masquerade's "Death's Design" were astounding, and would like to hear more of his singing, whether solo or as a duet with Renkse. Although this may just be an idea for a side project. Either way, I want to hear more of Blakkheim!

I like the idea of a rusty kind of red color (imagine LFDGD with a red hue). I also like the idea of green, sort of like nightvision or something. That would be cool, for instance pictures of a dark, rainy night in the city in that eerie green nightvision.

Ihsahn said:
I thought Nyström's clean vocals on Diabolical Masquerade's "Death's Design" were astounding, and would like to hear more of his singing, whether solo or as a duet with Renkse. Although this may just be an idea for a side project. Either way, I want to hear more of Blakkheim!

I like the idea of a rusty kind of red color (imagine LFDGD with a red hue). I also like the idea of green, sort of like nightvision or something. That would be cool, for instance pictures of a dark, rainy night in the city in that eerie green nightvision.
That was Dan Swanö's clean singing on Death's Design:D

Dark Chapter said:
That was Dan Swanö's clean singing on Death's Design:D
I thought it was, but for some reason a site that I read said it was Blakkheim who sang the clean and distorted vocals; plus, in the case, it says nothing about Dan Swano singing, not even backup vocals. The only person given credit for vocals is Blakkheim.

Anyways:erk:

it was posted on Swanö's Forum somewhere a while back, i would have sworn up and down is was Anders too:D

I would like:
- heavy, but a couple of mellow songs (some acustic parts) would be also appreciated
- more bass and more double bass
- no guests, but why not a heavy song sung by Micke from Opeth...
- a song in Swedish
- lyrically a concept would be cool
- more experimetal stuff (strange tempos and song structure)
- dark and depressive
- some kind of secrects or something hidden you must discover
no return to their roots, they have just to improve and go on experimenting!!!!

colour:
red and black

Dark Chapter said:
it was posted on Swanö's Forum somewhere a while back, i would have sworn up and down is was Anders too:D
wasn't it posted on this forum that it was Anders??? I'm 99% sure it's Anders and not Swanö.

well, many interesting things were suggested so far.
it will be guite difficult to think of laying claim on the future Katatonia album in a way. i'd wish simply to be blown away by this as a whole melancholy art concept - and i don't have doubts about this.
referring to their musical development, i think they've always managed to keep the balance in general, without compromising with their ideas or whatever existing circumstances :worship:

songwriting could be a more common privilege this time, as someone did mention it already.. "A Premonition" is a great song indeed.
Jonas' lo-fi passion creates a very special nuance, so he could keep it further on, but his jerky attempts are very welcome as well. his voice on LFDGD appeals to me much more than on VE for example, it's more full-toned, deeper, that's the way i would like to hear it on the new release. although in Jonas' own opinion (as far i remember) it is and it feels more natural to sing in a higher range.
and i'm definitely for Blakkheim's clean voice!!
a nice red line could be a heavier tendency like in "The City of Glass" - great doomish killer, feel myself as a newborn everytime i hear to it at the end of VE.

o.k., it's not a "wish" or something that special, but still - i'd like to have some more mysterious, strange, hidden elements on Katatonia's tracks, i think you know what i'm talking about - like the whale's wails, owl's call, the click after turning the lights out, some distant, psycho whispers, etc..

the cover should have the black-gray-greeny touch with more artifical light's reflections on it.. night electris lights in the big city...

probably right, i couldn't find anything about it on the Swanö forum so, i read it someplace else or i was completely mistaken. wouldn't be the first time. the clean vocals on it are great regardless of who sang it.

It sounds exactly like Swano to me, so if it is Anders, I'm impressed :p

For the next album I hope:
- return to the more melodic style of pre-Viva Emptiness albums.
- don't need more solos or more experimentation, that's not what Katatonia's about (or is it?)
- a fucking amazing, heavy, melodic, depressing, sorrowful, spectacularly written album.. but I know I'll get that :)

That is all.

I think if I wanted any more experimentation it would have to be slight melodic or atmospheric experimentation. Other bands may be able to pull radical changes, but I don't think it fits the nature or "philosophy" of Katatonia. Solos would be good for a few songs, like the solo towards the end of "Dispossession."

I guess I (personally) wouldnt call it experimentation as much as growth. I think they grow in talent as well as becoming ever more accustomed to their instruments. I think it will be slightly different from the other alblums like all those that have come before, not drastically different.
Thats my take on it :)

Deliverance6 said:
I guess I (personally) wouldnt call it experimentation as much as growth. I think they grow in talent as well as becoming ever more accustomed to their instruments. I think it will be slightly different from the other alblums like all those that have come before, not drastically different.
Thats my take on it :)
Yes, "growth" or "cultivation" are definately much better words, at least for what I'm trying to describe; "experimentation" leads something like Arcturus or Peccatum to mind.