What do you wish for the next Katatonia album?

I wonder how they will continue after Viva Emptyness which lets face it, really blew away any doubts that Katatonia would stick to a sound.

However in some ways after LFDGD, Viva almost discarded songwriting in favour of experimentation.. Don't get me wrong Viva is a testiment to their fantastic musical abilities, but the songs lack quite a few fundimentals of songwriting that although is good in terms of creating and pushing the boundries, looses an emotional attachment.

About 70% of Viva is quite strong, but compaired to the 90% of Dicouraged ones and Tonites Decision..

And compaired to LFDGD it doesn't stand up in the same way.. however I feel VIVA is a very important expression.. Katatonia wish to shape up to something much more involved.

I was a fan of the origional material all the way through... I want them to now evolve.. IN NO WAY MUST THEY GO BACKWARDS!! To evolve is to expand their previous sound including VIVA into an album that is a complete masterpiece, in much the same way the D.O was.. To not do this would be a waste of everything they have learnt.

Viva sounded more droney and boring than the previous albums.. even with the fast paced songs like Wealth.. They need to shake it up a bit..

In fact they need to to show us that they can create a classic.. you know the one where every sits up and seriously listens.. so far they are amazing but they are more than that.

i want another of this :

4017ffa8.jpg

:cry:

I believe they gotta keep the growling out, why? because their music is actually starting to take off to bigger crowds. I have no problem now getting people into it, then I did when I played them Rainroom or Dancing December. I mean as fans, we do not want this band to sell out, but you gotta do what gets you the money so you can buy better gear and make different sounds. Let alone get a bigger audiance so you can spread the music to everyone. So I think they gotta go with what works and for me I would say from Discouraged Ones on its working. Now don't get me wrong the old stuff had amazing music (Saw you Drown, Endtime, etc) but if you want to build a fan base especially in NA when they hear that growling, off goes the music. I played Right into the Bliss for one person and boom hooked on their stuff and has been ever since. Now If I play Without God to the same people they go THATS THE SAME BAND? I do not like that shit. Alot of you on the boards hear the music but newbies have no clue. Renkse has a wicked voice and it matches their music to perfection, as well as the message he puts forth, he needs to keep going with it.
If the WHEEL ain't broke Don't fix it.

What I wish for the next Katatonia album is that they finally get a proper North American tour and get even more recognition...

Wanderer said:
more melodical
less heavier
more depression
no "fuck" no "shit"
something new
something old
simple drums (sorry daniel)
there can be keyboard,acustic guitar etc..
back to the roots in lyrics

new album's colour might be between purple,black,white

I join with your opinion!

I'd love a cover of "New Dawn Fades", originally from Joy Division. Just listen to the live version they did on the "Still"-compilation. This song has incredible potential and what better band than Katatonia to fullfill that potential?
Musically and lyrically it suits the Discouraged Ones era.

Greetz

I would prefer that they dont do any covers. Although the Jeff Buckley cover was cool. I just want all Katatonia, I dont want to hear them doing someone else , I want to hear them doing themselves.
Just my opinion, doesnt mean much. :)

Drop what they are doing and go into a heavier and stranger direction. Time to change the bit.