Cult Of Luna's new cd should I get it?

KMADD

The Ancient Metalhead
Dec 30, 2004
Indianapolis In USA
www.facebook.com
Hey folks I need your opinion the other day I saw a Cult Of Luna video on the
Headbangers Ball and thought the song was highly original so Im thinking
about picking that cd up. Is it a go or no-go?

Nah, get the last two Isis albums, 'A Sun that Never Sets' and 'Times of Grace' by Neurosis and 'Australasia' by Pelican. Cult of Luna don't do anything that those bands don't do far better.

Necro Joe said:
Nah, get the last two Isis albums, 'A Sun that Never Sets' and 'Times of Grace' by Neurosis and 'Australasia' by Pelican. Cult of Luna don't do anything that those bands don't do far better.

Cult of Luna dosen't do Isis . Same applies for Pelican and Neurosis.

I don't know how you listen to those albums.

Indeed. I've heard all three CoL albums. That's how I know what I'm talking about.

THere are bands out there (Isis, Neurosis, Pelican, Breach, and probably Jesu) who do it better. So why would you want to buy albums from this emo looking second tier band?

CoL just always struck me as a new school band copying other bands who have been playing that sound thoughout the 90's (Neurosis, Breach). And they added the emo image. I don't mind second tier bands (I like Mouth of the Architect), but CoL just fails to capture my attention. I'd rather play Souls at Zero or Outlines.

Though I guess these new school fans that like CoL will then discover the originators and the real thing.

J. said:
Indeed. I've heard all three CoL albums. That's how I know what I'm talking about.

THere are bands out there (Isis, Neurosis, Pelican, Breach, and probably Jesu) who do it better. So why would you want to buy albums from this emo looking second tier band?

CoL just always struck me as a new school band copying other bands who have been playing that sound thoughout the 90's (Neurosis, Breach). And they added the emo image. I don't mind second tier bands (I like Mouth of the Architect), but CoL just fails to capture my attention. I'd rather play Souls at Zero or Outlines.

Though I guess these new school fans that like CoL will then discover the originators and the real thing.

What about Stand-Up Guy, though? :p

KMADD said:
Hey folks I need your opinion the other day I saw a Cult Of Luna video on the
Headbangers Ball and thought the song was highly original so Im thinking
about picking that cd up. Is it a go or no-go?

Go, dude. Cult of Luna is way badass. :headbang:

J. said:
QUOTE]

Gotta say I've been really enjoying CoL in the same way as other rock & post-rock bands (Mogwai, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Cave In, Kinski, Elliot etc)... Maybe I made the link by the emo appearance (good point).

Other than Breach, I'm a fan of each of those bands J mentioned (never heard any Breach) & want to hear more- Anyone know of many other bands that fit this bracket? It just seems to be a rather narrow/small genre that only Neurosis have made a long-term career in (okay, so Isis formed in 1998, but they're only on their 3rd album, not 8th).

Also, Jesu aren't a "probably". They're a "definately", but then again I'm a sucker for anything JK Broadrick puts his name to.