Curious what people think of one of our tracks from a production perspective...

drew_drummer

Dancefap
Sep 7, 2008
London, UK
Hey,

I'm actually curious what people think of one of our tracks, from a production perspective. The whole record has been completely DIY... no labels or producers involved or anything like that. I did the large majority of mixing and production work... but the rest of the band had input too.

I think most of it came out pretty good. There are a few areas I wish I'd focused on a bit better, but I know for next time.

Opinions, criticisms, and things to look out for in the future... that's what I'm looking for.

Anyway here is one of the tracks:

Sunday

Really hoping for some opinions from seasoned Sneapsters (and maybe even Andy himself?!?!) so I've got something to push my production skills even further.

The drums really let this down :/ really weak. And not digging the muddy verb. Also the transitions from clean to distorted guitar don't work too well, the tones don't transition well, the cleans have a lot more lows/lowmids and the distorteds a low more highs.

It's got a nice atmosphere going though, I really dig the clean bits. Will it have vocals?

I disagree with morgan about the drums. I think that for this style the drum fits very well. Nobody wants slate drums for this kind of music. Everything has some natural character. Sounds somehow raw. I like it.

It wont have vocals. We've been gigging these songs up and down the country for about a year now; they're complete. Most people have been positive about the production, but I'm curious about what to focus on improving.

I think that the weakest thing is the bass. Could have a bit more low end and less distortion. It´s not the right kind of bass sound for this IMO. It´s not bad and far from that but could be better.

Great! Finally a mix that sounds natural and as that tape head sound. I'd say the mix would benefit from a bit more highs or simply less low end on some stuff, the reverb could be a bit less bassy. The major problem with this mix is the lack of macrodynamics between parts. Parts that should be louder and punchier sound a bit stomped and when we get back to clean parts we get a sense of more low end and volume wich goes against what i'd expect. I'd probably make the louder parts louder, the quieter bits quieter with less reverb. The bass sound is incredible, i shat bricks on that unfamiliar yet natural sound. good luck !