current favorite riff ?

razoredge

Jul 22, 2007
what guitar riff currently really grabs you ?

While Romeo has produced many of mine. His songs are loaded so its kinda tuff to sort them out. I'll say the ones that grabbed me most was opening of Sins and Shadows and Sea of Lies, plus I love the riff in Sea of Lies that backs the keyboard solo.

Anyhow, currently I have discovered... I feel a story coming on :rolleyes:

A friend of mine and I were talking music and he said you have to check out this Porcupine Tree CD. So he gives me a copy. I had it down in the shop for months and only listened to it a few times while working around. I just pulled it out again the other night to actually listen and the second song on Deadwing called Shallow just does it for me. So thats my current coolest riff(s). I know it shows my hardrock roots, but few of my top favorite riffs come from "real" heavy metal.

So tell me and Ill try to check them out. Id like to hear what others consider stand out riffs.

All riffs from Metallica's Creeping Death. Awesome song.

SX's, Orion the Hunter atm. GREAT riff.

Opening riff of erotic cakes by Guthrie Govan

Opening riff of Beautiful Violence by Within Y

Opening riff of Tresspass by The Haunted

Necrophagist - Stabwound (main riff)
Amon Amarth - Bleed For Ancient Gods (main riff)
Symphony X - Revelation (the Intro and Chorus)
Dream Theater - In The Presence of Enemies (the whole thing)

Hell yeah. There's so many great riffs on the new album I don't even know where to begin. I forgot about the really dissonant part in Domination. That bass/piano line is excellent.

Is that the part where Romeo goes into the triplet picking? If so, that's an amazing riff.

Wonder how many riffs on one SX album ? Like I said I cant sort them out but the few I first mentioned really grabbed me but they were also the first Romeo riffs I heard, they will always rule.

Petrucci owns a pile of mine too.

my old favorites are SRV's riff for "Couldnt Stand the Weather" and Eddie Van Halens "5150" riff, both songs that I felt failed to do the opening or main riffs justice. Fair songs, smokin main riffs

This Porcupine Tree song Im talking about just kicks ass all the way but I think the end got kinda spacy.

Another great one for the curious open minded guitar player is Vitto Brattas riffin' and solo on the song "Leave Me Alone" Im not or wasnt a White Lion fan but Bratta? Bratto? was hot. This particular song is smokin

Mustaines got the groove too. "High Speed Dirt" and many others

The Bird Serpent War has great riffs, especially in the intro. I like how one of the riffs before the 1st verse changes apruptly from 3/4 to 4/4. Leponds backing is phenomenal.

Eddie Van Halens "5150" riff, both songs that I felt failed to do the opening or main riffs justice.

Awesome riff...but i reckon the song is one of the best VH tunes ever written aswell.

Another great one for the curious open minded guitar player is Vitto Brattas riffin' and solo on the song "Leave Me Alone" Im not or wasnt a White Lion fan but Bratta? Bratto? was hot. This particular song is smokin

Fuck yeah....badass riff.

my old favorites are SRV's riff for "Couldnt Stand the Weather"

You win sir...you win.

The riff in Could'nt Stand the Weather by SRV is amazing. One of the most funkdified songs I have ever heard.

SRV...damn he was good. Bless him! :cry:

Also the beginning riff in Fear of a Blank Planet (title track) by Porcupine Tree is a really good one too. Very catchy, although very easy to play.