current favorite riff ?

Electric Eye - Judas Priest (intro)
Aint Talkin Bout Love - Van Halen (intro riff)
La Villa Strangiato - Rush (muted part after solo)

Just a few off the top of my head...

Priest had one song on a mixed tape someone lent me years ago that I thought was hot but I no longer remember the name of it.

Aint Talkin is a great sound in its day but its like guitar 101, Id give hot for teacher maybe a second to 5150 but Eddie has many smokin riffs. 5150 stands alone

Theres a few votes for Porcupine Tree riffs now. Sounds like I need to pay more attention to this band..... any steerage ?

The Bird Serpent War has great riffs, especially in the intro. I like how one of the riffs before the 1st verse changes apruptly from 3/4 to 4/4. Leponds backing is phenomenal.

Hell yes. I love all those quick-ass descending triplet runs that Romeo and Lepond do unisons on. Interesting fact... there's one part in that song (the 7/8 part, I think... "a million souls crying...") where the band plays something completely different live. I wonder if it was too complex to pull off?

How about Thorns of Sorrow!

That is a great riff, and every time I hear it I wish it was Russell's voice that followed. Seriously, the songs on the debut album are great - could you IMAGINE Russell singing all of them?!

The most hugely underrated one has to be Fallen. Just sick! Sick I say!

Which riff? The intro one in 17/8?

Which riff? The intro one in 17/8?

I really dig the intro/main riff to Fallen tbh..it's nice and chunky.

Any Zeppelin riff has done it for me. Always brings back that special feeling, if you know what I mean.

Word.

Speaking of which...they are reuniting for a concert in London in dedication of Island Record's Ex-Owner dude...which is going to be probably the biggest show, financially and just all around, since their breakup.

I would go in a heartbeat but tickets are probably 1000 bucks and even if they weren't I can't afford that & a plane ticket lol.

I'm sure they will tour again in the U.S. after this!!! -excitement begins-

The intro riff in Fallen is really sick. Then it develops even more ( i have no clue what the time sig is ) and then gets to its sickest point in the chorus.

Quote:
Another great one for the curious open minded guitar player is Vitto Brattas riffin' and solo on the song "Leave Me Alone" Im not or wasnt a White Lion fan but Bratta? Bratto? was hot. This particular song is smokin
Fuck yeah....badass riff.
Vito Bratta was just amazing. Listen to his beautiful solos and cool riffs in songs like Living on the edge or Little Fighter.
George Lynch came out with awesome riffs too, Jungle of Love from Lynch Mob is badass...

The riff under the solo in Out of the Ashes ( after the second chorus ).
You know, the one that stops, and it has a chromatic ascension ! It's superb.
Fallen
Serpent's Kiss main riff ( you could dance to it )
Eyes of Medusa intro riffs and main riffs

-----------------------------------------------------------------
--4---------------------------------5-----4---------------------
-----2-2-2-2-2-0^2^3^2^0-2-2-2-----2-----2-2-2-0^2^3^2^0-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------trill--------
--5-5-4-3---------------------------------------------5----4-1^2-------
-----------2-2-2-2-2-0^2^3^2^0-2-2-2-0^3^6^3^0----2---------3-2-0

:kickass:

whats that, two or four measures ? Yikes!

the other Megadeth song that kills me overall as well as riff wise is "Skin of my teeth"

Disillusion - Fall

That song has so amazing riffs, actually the whole album is full of them. But the one which is stuck in my head atm. is in Fall, the one that starts after the chorus. Killer.

From Symphony X, I'd say that Fallen has some really sick one's. The new album obiviously has some cool one's too.

And as someone mentioned Porcupine Tree... The riff in the heavy section of "Arriving Somewhere" is great.