Customer Service

Feb 3, 2006
www.orchidfixation.co.uk
I've been reading a few things recently about companies being rubbish to you when their gear goes wrong, so I thought I'd start a thread about the opposite: who has great customer service?

I'll start with CAD - I have an M179, which is a great, well-priced variable-pattern condenser. Unfortunately, I'm now on my third - the first got trashed in the post, nothing to do with the mic.

My second one, typically, stopped working about 2 months after the warranty finished. So I got in touch with CAD to see if there was anything they could suggest might have gone wrong with it, and if there was anything I could do. They emailed me back within the hour (despite me emailing at like 7am UK time), and without any prompting told me they'd replace it - they even shipped the new one out express. Brilliant, hassle free service.

Anyone else got any good experiences?

Steve

Oktavamod!!!

They turned a pair of decent Mc012's into my favourite SD condensors ever. Quality work for a good price, and FAST.

Peavey: I had a VMP2 catch fire once & they took very good care of me. Can't say enough good things about them.

RME: Had a first gen Fireface that screwed the pooch & they replaced it, no problem at all.

Long & McQuade musical instruments: Bought a "studio desk" that fell apart & they refunded me, no problem.

To be completely honest, I've never had anything music related go bad on me except a Radial X-Amp, which, every one of them off the line needed the mod to make the output hotter. win

Any time I have ever had to call Apple about stuff they have been great to work with. I have heard many bad stories, so I am glad my experience was positive.

Sabian. Cracked a crash cymbal when I was 16 (it was pretty much my only GOOD cymbal) and sent it back with a receipt, it was maybe 10 mos old. They returned the cymbal to me with a letter stating it was past it's warranty, which I knew wasn't right after double checking the receipt. So I sent it back (again) with a letter explaining the situation and explaining that I didn't bash away on it, used it a lot in the high school's jazz band, and felt it was the design of the cymbal that caused the premature crack (it was their Sound Control series which was discontinued pretty quickly IIRC).

A week later, I got a brand new cymbal back - they replaced it with another line (HH instead of AA, HH's are the higher priced line), and included swag up the wazoo - hat, 2 t-shirts, wristbands, stickers, catalogues, and a letter apologizing profusely for their mistake in mis-reading the receipt when I first sent it in. The person who wrote the letter gave me his phone number and asked me to call him directly if I ever had a problem with any Sabian ever again, and he hoped I would choose their products again down the road.

I'm 33 now and honestly - if I need a new cymbal, Sabian is the first, and many times only, brand I look at. That great experience stuck with me, big time.

Sabian. Cracked a crash cymbal when I was 16 (it was pretty much my only GOOD cymbal) and sent it back with a receipt, it was maybe 10 mos old. They returned the cymbal to me with a letter stating it was past it's warranty, which I knew wasn't right after double checking the receipt. So I sent it back (again) with a letter explaining the situation and explaining that I didn't bash away on it, used it a lot in the high school's jazz band, and felt it was the design of the cymbal that caused the premature crack (it was their Sound Control series which was discontinued pretty quickly IIRC).

A week later, I got a brand new cymbal back - they replaced it with another line (HH instead of AA, HH's are the higher priced line), and included swag up the wazoo - hat, 2 t-shirts, wristbands, stickers, catalogues, and a letter apologizing profusely for their mistake in mis-reading the receipt when I first sent it in. The person who wrote the letter gave me his phone number and asked me to call him directly if I ever had a problem with any Sabian ever again, and he hoped I would choose their products again down the road.

I'm 33 now and honestly - if I need a new cymbal, Sabian is the first, and many times only, brand I look at. That great experience stuck with me, big time.

Amen to that. I've had customer service reps that have given me their contact info aswell, and it makes such a difference when they go the extra mile.

I've heard Diezel has EXCELLENT customer service.

Also, I've got nothing but praise for Alienware's customer service. Yeah.. I bought an Alienware once, don't laugh. Ha. But anyway. One of the ram sticks in the computer was dodgy when I first got it, but the customer service people were proper helpful (and they didn't outsource to unspecified-istan, which makes a lot of difference, at least to me, I like being able to understand people when talking about techy shit, it's not a race thing.) Once we'd diagnosed the problem they got a box to me to ship the ram back to them, and had a new stick of RAM at my door quick as fuck.
top notch.

VHT/Fryette - They answered a bunch of questions and gave me lots of help troubleshooting my amp that I had bought used thru a classified ad. They even offered to walk whatever tech I took my amp to thru a full check up over the phone at no charge. Can't beat that. Turned out I just needed new tubes but they took the time to help me out and were pretty quick to reply.

Marshall: have ordered many bespoke parts (pots, corners, scroll logos) for many of my marshalls over the years (tube amps, SS, valvestate and cabs) and they are amazing to deal with, even sent me one of them gold blocks in the bottom of the cabs free when i said mine fell off! nothing but 100% praise on their support!!

MOTU: in the UK they are really good to deal with, ive had 2 failed motu devices and everytime they were very quick and friendly about getting it replaced. both times i had to deal with them the turnaround was less than a week between me sending my unit out and them shipping me a nice new shiney one :)

ESP/selectron UK: i had some issues with my LTD when i first got it in 01, so sent it back to the uk distributor, got it sorted and they chucked in a free tshirt and whirlwind cable for the wait!! more recently when one of the threads on the locking nut was stripped they shipped out a replacement one free of charge and this was after the warrenty had expired!!

yeah - i have had 2 motu things go wrong and as I live quite close they invited me up there to drop it off. replaced with no fuss at all.

marshall also have been good, and they are also local - they gave me a tour of the factory once!

apple have been alright whenever my mighty mouse has got fucked, they just replace it for free straight away :)

krank were pretty helpful before I bought my amp, they sent the technician all the stuff to rewire the transformer for UK voltage.

Steve Slate.....for me, it was the best C/S ive had for music related stuff.

BAD C/S---DEAD ROOM CABS---DONT BUY ONE!--I know you said good, but i had to state the worst as well.