Cyhra - The Vertigo Trigger - August 2023

I have no idea. All I know is that I tried to listen to Holographic Universe, and it was basically torture.

I thought Morphogenesis was a decent single. Other than that, I don't even recall anything from that one.

Christian's band after he left Scar Symmetry (Solution .45) put out a decent debut album but I didn't care for much after that.

Christian had an absolutely fantastic voice, growls and cleans were both really good.

Apparently this is what he's up to these days.

I really liked "Morphogenesis" and "Artificial Sun Projection", but that's all I can remember because my mind blocked out the rest of that awful album for my own protection and sanity.

I thought I posted this reply earlier, but I guess I didn't.

From the Jesper interview posted in the Halo Effect thread...

- New Cyhra album tentatively scheduled to be released in January
- 6 or 7 song songs basically ready to go (demo, not recorded yet), but he hasn't really been part of the writing process so far
- Has specific 'Cyhra Days' where he focuses specifically on Cyhra
- Is going to be two houses away from Jake in his new place, so they'll basically be neighbours
- Writing with Cyhra/Jake isn't so much riff based, a different writing process because Jake is an actual singer
- Would like to fly out for a show to play with Cyhra again, is going to try and play a Stockolm show with them

Sounds like he's still somewhat active in the band, and clearly in a better place now than he was when NHIH was released. Maybe there's hope for the third album after all? Although it's a bit concerning that 6/7 songs are written and Jesper has said he hasn't really been involved with the writing process.

New Cyhra single out on Friday... 'Ready to Rumble'. That title does not fill me with much hope.

Reactions: eochaid
Looks like they've been playing it at festivals. There's a few videos on YouTube. Sounds in the vein of NHIH to me, unfortunately.

I listened to a live performance of it, and I don't even remember anything. This really is in the vein of NHIH, and I don't like that whatsoever.

Couldn’t hear very well from the live recordings, but I did hear dual leads and decent energy throughout. NHIH sucked because almost every song started with a cool riff, then dropped down to some slow rock bullshit that was weak as hell. At the end of each song they would repeat the 10 second cool part and then you realize the whole song was a bait and switch. If they avoid that formula here it might be ok.

Now available on YouTube if you're in the right timezone, or switch to an Australian VPN location.

It's a big meh from me. Same commercial metal shit as NHIH for the most part. Guitar work is a little more inspired but they're even further away from the LTM sound than ever if this is anything to go by. Also the chorus is annoying as fuck. Jake's vocals are just soft and weak, no power whatsoever.

I think that it's better than all the previous album but still not good enough.

The chorus, and a big part of the song, reminds me to the late 70s and 80s hard rock. Then, there are some bits where they seem to be thinking "what would Jesper do?" And so they try but also fail.

I agree about Jake. He's not taking any vocal risk here.

I think it's better than pretty much everything on the second album and worse than anything on the first one.

Good points - some decent guitar work, OK drumming, a catchy vocal line here and there, nothing really too terrible

Bad points - shitty overused electronics, wannabe amaranthe production, most of the vocal lines including chorus quite boring and weak, I can't be serious with a song called "ready to rumble"

Just listened to the premiere on Youtube. Honestly, I'd say it was on par with the schlock of NHIH. The verses actually did have better lyrics, and I quite liked the solo, so I could've been okay with the mediocrity if the chorus wasn't the worst, most repetitive one Cyhra's ever had. Fuck me, even "Hit Me" didn't have such a boring chorus. I already wasn't excited about Cyhra 3, but this really doesn't help. I just want the lyrics to be good and, you know, hit the emotional beats of Letters at least half as hard, and just have some good guitarwork in places other than the riffs and solos.

The electronics are fine and don't really do much for nor against the song, I wouldn't really say they're Amaranthe-styled electronics. But I dunno, I even liked "Out of My Life" better than this, and I thought that was just Karma-lite.

Better than most songs on Cyhra 2.

I like the energetic verse which fixed a lot for me. Because I HATE the slow verses on NHIH where virtually every song was a type of ballad.

Ok to decent guitar work.

The production let Jake’s natural timbre and vocal fry show, in the verse anyway. Which is good.

Overall, them leaning into the 80s style seems like a good fit.

We’ll see what comes next but overall Jesper did an OK job on this one.

Jesper said he hadn't been involved with anything written thus far for Cyhra 3, so this one is all Jake and Euge.

Last edited:
I thought Jesper said he’s still in the band?

Yes, but he also said in the hour-long interview posted in THE thread that Cyhra had 6/7 songs ready but he hadn't contributed to those. Ready to Rumble is presumably one of the songs he was referencing.

God I hate the 'gang chants' in this. It's so cringe. 'aRe yOu ReAdY tO RumBuhhhLlLl" ... no, and judging by how sleepy you sound on this track neither are you, Jake.

Dreams Gone Wrong & Man of Eternal Rain are far superior to this. The rest of NHIH, maybe it's a bit better, but that's an incredibly low bar to set. It's way off LTM quality-wise.