Cymbal replacement

GabeFry

Apr 18, 2008
Hey guys, first off I've really tried researching topic, and found limited info, and so posting here was a last resort. I just bought SSD 4.0, and I'm not a huge fan of the cymbals. I bought the Joey Sturgis cymbal pack, and am trying to replace the SSD cymbals with the JS pack. I bought Trigger this morning, and I'm not able to get the cymbals to trigger correctly. It just sounds like a sporatic mess, and I can't get the hits to sound consistent. I saw there was a midi in function which I was trying to take advantage of. I write all of my drum parts in a program similar to guitar pro, and export to midi. I import those midi files into Cubase and route those to SSD 4.0. I've tried putting the cymbals to seperate outputs instead of the overheads. On those outputs I've inserted Trigger, and it picks up the cymbals, but it's just not accurate. What i'm trying to trigger is 8th notes at 210 so I wonder if that is part of the issue. But I'd really like to resolve this if possible.

Thanks guys!

-Gabe

Other than the hit hat I think this might be impossible. What you could try is copy the individual cymbal tracks midi input to separate tracks. So you would have your kick snare and toms as the only thing playing through ssd. And then an individual track each for your ride, crash, china, hat but instead of using ssd over these use something with more attack like a snare hit. THEN put a drum replacement over each,like drumagog. Here's what I mean routing wise

Kick, snare, toms--- ssd
Hit hat--- snare hit sample---drumagog with desired hi hat
China--- snare hit sample--- drumagog with desired china
Ride---"
Crash---"

Hope that makes sense

Other than the hit hat I think this might be impossible. What you could try is copy the individual cymbal tracks midi input to separate tracks. So you would have your kick snare and toms as the only thing playing through ssd. And then an individual track each for your ride, crash, china, hat but instead of using ssd over these use something with more attack like a snare hit. THEN put a drum replacement over each,like drumagog. Here's what I mean routing wise

Kick, snare, toms--- ssd
Ride---"
Crash---"

Hope that makes sense

I thought about doing that but I was about to pull out my hair, and had to take a break. I will try this, and see if it works. If not then would I have to buy Kontakt or something since thats what the drums were created for?

Kick, snare, toms--- ssd
Ride---"
Crash---"

Hope that makes sense

Why put snare sample to trigger drumagog. Doesn't cubase have possibilities to route midi straight to drumagog? For me it is weird because I use FL Studio and there is nice midi out instrument and it send midi information to specific midi bus and midi channel and on drumagog I match midi bus and channel. I that way there isn't missed hits or something and no latency.

Why put snare sample to trigger drumagog. Doesn't cubase have possibilities to route midi straight to drumagog? For me it is weird because I use FL Studio and there is nice midi out instrument and it send midi information to specific midi bus and midi channel and on drumagog I match midi bus and channel. I that way there isn't missed hits or something and no latency.

Hmm i didnt know you could do this with drumagog. I too use fl studio. I just use anything with a quick attack it doesnt have to be a snare. Just something that will have an accurate enough attack that it triggers drumagog at the right nime. Ill look into that midi mapping though

Kick, snare, toms--- ssd
Ride---"
Crash---"

Hope that makes sense

It worked! Thanks so much! Thank you guys!