Cythraul's Authoritative Opinions on Metal

What better bands? Who is better then Death? I don't know of any death metal bands that were better then Death, some maybe were faster, some more raw, some heavier, some darker, but none better. Death did it all from the raw early sounds to the polished final record in 1998.

As far as early death metal is concerned, Death was not even the best band of that ilk. Morbid Angel was already writing more sophisticated material back in 1986. As far Death's later period is concerned, it's a popularization of a style done far better by Cynic and Atheist. Seriously, later Death material sounds like a dumbed down version of the early 90s Cynic demos.

As far as early death metal is concerned, Death was not even the best band of that ilk. Morbid Angel was already writing more sophisticated material back in 1986. As far Death's later period is concerned, it's a popularization of a style done far better by Cynic and Atheist. Seriously, later Death material sounds like a dumbed down version of the early 90s Cynic demos.
I guess that's why Cynic was hired to do the Human album. I like Cynic, but never loved them, probably do to the vocals. Atheist, I liked the Elements CD the best then they broke up, like Cynic they had a short lifespan so I don't even really think of them in the grand scheme of things. Though if we are looking at these types of bands...then Believer: Dimension's was quite ground breaking and amazing.

Sure, as long as I'm sufficiently familiar with the material. As you already know, I really like that Beherit album. I also like that Impaled Nazarene album. It's been a long time since I listened to the CC and Anaal Nathrakh albums. I'll give those a listen again and will post my brilliant reviews of them shortly.

I went away for 6 days. Still waiting. Because you know, you obviously aren't busy with grad school and having a life.

It's kind of hard for me to motivate myself to listen to a Cannibal Corpse album. Will do this weekend probably.

Kill and Tomb of the Mutilated are the only CC albums I can listen to without falling asleep.

Immortal Visions – Aquaritia: Immortal Visions were an extremely obscure Polish band from the early 90s whose sole release was this demo. They played a very otherworldly-sounding type of death/doom metal with plenty of atmosphere and raw creativity. The production is a little rough (who gives a fuck though? I certainly don’t.) Listen to this only if your ears haven’t been pussified by too much modern metal or Lady Gaga.

Tatir – Fons Acheroni: Rotting Christ meets Fiendish Nymph.

Himinbjorg – Europa: This album is Donald Duck singing about how awesome Europe used to be when everybody was pagan. It also appears that Donald Duck is French and is a lyrical genius of the first rank. To wit, “It was in Europe, at the decline era, first step in the night for the Pagan people. Christianism arrival, it spreads on the Earth as the pest does with animals.” Wow…

Kawir – Arai: Really weird Greek black metal. Donald Duck sings on this album too. This time he has a stomach ache. Honestly, this album rules.

Swordmaster – Postmortem Tales: Back in the day these guys played some really extreme, rough-on-the-ears thrash metal. Then they changed their name and became some sort of industrial rock leatherboys. This album came out before they decided to be horrible, and it kicks ass. I like to listen to it when I’m chugging beers and crushing posers. Plus, I want to live in whatever ridiculous universe inspired these lyrics: “We are the sons of metal and steel, foretold to walk the path of nightbreed. Legacy of hatred beyond the hand of time, forever to burn in the blood of mine.” I don’t know what that means but I know that it’s awesome.

Running Wild – The Rivalry: This album kicks my ass all over the place, and the amazing thing is that this is Running Wild’s 10th full-length album. Not many bands can put out that many albums and continue to make me cream in my underoos. Just listen to how the title track starts out. Riff of the century. This is power metal for men with balls of steel.

Strife – In This Defiance: I swear these guys put the whole current breed of metalcore jerk-offs to shame. This album is from the days when this genre actually had some balls. This stuff has a sense of foreboding and a level of seriousness and conviction that modern mall-dweller metalcore lacks entirely. Why don’t people play stuff like this anymore? What the hell is wrong with people? On a related note, another good album from the same time period is Gomorrah’s Season Ends by Earth Crisis. Check it out. For proof that Strife kicked ass, see the following:

Last edited by a moderator:
Himinbjorg,Kawir:kickass:
Man i request a Revenge or Conqueror review,mainly out of curiosity.I would do it myself but somtimes my brain freezes up and i'm sure you could do justice to either.I'd need to be sober for a few weeks before I even tried.

A lot of 90s metalcore like Shai Hulud, Starkweather, Earth Crisis, Deadguy, etc. isn't bad.

This kinda stuff is also cool and predates that melodeath+breakdown disgraceful shit that's out today:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYPIj-2E8ng&feature=PlayList&p=8D94EE14FDC980F9&playnext=1&index=2"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYPIj-2E8ng&feature=PlayList&p=8D94EE14FDC980F9&playnext=1&index=2[/ame]