Début Metaprism music video (band whose album I engineered/produced) Prog/Power

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Jan 31, 2010
Cambs, UK
www.numbskullaudio.com
https://youtu.be/GC0NhUA5lgk

Sorry, forgotten how to embed!

Anyway, this album started production back in December. We finished a couple of months back. I engineered/produced drums, they tracked DI's and vox their end, and I reamped/mixed/mastered.

Rhythm guitars were (from memory!) as follows:

Quad tracked,
Per side there's a track of TS > 6505+ and reborn Dual Rectifier, both going into my Zilla Fatboy (V30's) > SM57 > Lots of EQ :lol:

Lead guitars were through an EVH 5153 > zilla > 2 x 57

If you want any more info I'll try and remember!

though the vocals seem a bit held back the chorus is pretty catchy, i like it!
production is pretty nice, sounds natural not "overly produced"

I think I followed this band since you posted their EP (?) somewhen back.

Production sounds really good to me!

My only gripe are the male cleans...not even that I personally think he should maybe practice a bit more before doing them, but they are also really jumpy dynamic wise, also a bit loud and bright. They are the only thing not fitting in the mix.
Almost like they don't have a compressor on them? Especially considering how good all other vox sound.

Thanks guys,

Mago - His and her cleans go together really well on the rest of the album, but this song was particularly difficult to blend the two. His vox really stand out when they come in and sound 'on-top' of the mix rather than in it, but it was either that or have them practically inaudible. It was just one of those things. And believe me, they're smashed to hell and back :lol: but even so, still quite 'jumpy' as you say, but it's just in this one song, thankfully.

My gripe with this album, personally, is that the guitars sound too quiet at times. But then that's probably a knee-jerk reaction to the fact that I thought they were way too loud on the EP :lol:

Thanks guys,

Mago - His and her cleans go together really well on the rest of the album, but this song was particularly difficult to blend the two. His vox really stand out when they come in and sound 'on-top' of the mix rather than in it, but it was either that or have them practically inaudible. It was just one of those things. And believe me, they're smashed to hell and back :lol: but even so, still quite 'jumpy' as you say, but it's just in this one song, thankfully.

My gripe with this album, personally, is that the guitars sound too quiet at times. But then that's probably a knee-jerk reaction to the fact that I thought they were way too loud on the EP :lol:

sometimes weird shit just happens :lol:
As I said, all other vox sound really good on all levels, so it was kinda weird that they stuck out compared to the rest.

After listening again I like his performance more on the cleans, I guess the jumpyness just threw me off a bit.

Guitars are fine I'd say. Maybe you just pulled out a bit too much with the eq and thats why you'd think they'd be too low at times.

great work non the less!

I also thought Amaranthe. But only along the lines of "that sounds like amaranthe if it wouldn't sound like pop" :lol:

Cheers man :) Glad you're digging it! I'm really looking forward for the album release so people can hear the other tracks. I picture big things for this band. They've already been in Metal Hammer this month, and are playing Bloodstock and Wacken this year. Though these days that doesn't really mean much I guess :lol: