Dakryn's Batshit Theory of the Week

bahahaha, look at this pile of garbage. Way to empower kids who have been pushed down and treated like scum..... tell them the result is a medical illness they'll need to be treated for, and that sometimes they might simply 'perceive' the bias. It's not even real sometimes! Woohoo! Remember kids, the system cares about you. Here, take this pill.

Also, racism is bad for you emotionally? No shit? Amazing. Wait, nevermind, this is a vehicle for warning against the many mental derangements and diseases your child can contract from that innocent, harmless world out there. It's your mentally sick child that's the danger in the long run, and you need to be aware every chance you can get.

Stick another label next to the 'my pals' tag on your child: 'Diseased'. All better! :loco: Way to encourage. It's not your fault, son... but you do have a disease. DISEASE DISEASE DISORDER. SICK. YOU.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-05-05-race-depression_N.htm?csp=34

Fifth-graders who feel they've been mistreated because of their skin color are much more likely than classmates without such feelings to have symptoms of mental disorders, especially depression, a study suggests.
There is evidence that racial discrimination increases the odds that adolescents and adults will develop mental health problems, but this is the first study to examine a possible link in children of varied races, says Tumaini Coker, the study co-author and a RAND Corp. researcher and UCLA pediatrician.
It does not prove that discrimination caused the emotional problems, because unlike studies of older people, these children weren't followed over time. It's possible that prejudice harms children's mental health, but it is also possible that troubled kids prompt more discriminatory remarks from peers or that children with emotional problems perceive more bias, says study leader Mark Schuster, a Harvard pediatrician and pediatrics chief at Children's Hospital Boston.
The link between perceived racism and mental disorders is strong, he adds. For example, Hispanics who report racism are more than three times as likely as other children to have symptoms of depression; blacks are more than twice as likely; and those of "other" minority races have almost quadruple the odds. Rates are also higher for attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), oppositional defiant disorder and conduct disorder.
The study, which is published in the May American Journal of Public Health, involved more than 5,000 children in Birmingham, Ala., Houston and Los Angeles.

Prejudice was reported by 20% of blacks, 15% of Hispanics, 16% in the "other" category and 7% of whites.
Hispanics had the worst mental health effects, the study shows; perceptions of bias significantly increased their symptoms of all four disorders. About four out of five Hispanic children who felt prejudice had foreign-born parents. Black parents may buffer their children better, perhaps preparing them to expect some racism, Schuster speculates.
The study asked students whether they "ever" experienced racism, and that raises a question, says Rebecca Bigler, a University of Texas psychologist. In other research, children who report racism consistently say it rarely happens, she says. "We don't know if it was a rare occurrence with these kids. Maybe it only has to happen once to be devastating if you're young."

If the answer to the problem is taking a pill it is almost always the wrong answer. I just had wrist surgery and was given THREE different bottles of pills. Haven't taken a single pill for any of the three potential problems and I am just fine. Big Pharma is making a killing off unnecessary medications for every imagined ill possible.

The article is just so obviously backhandedly pushing more disorder scare and other sorts of ignorance (I like the "Black parents may buffer their children better, perhaps preparing them to expect some racism.." part especially..way to piggedly generalize and NOT discourage the behavior), and is so not about sympathy to the victims or an attack on racist/bullying behavior, that it's not even funny. And yet I bet a lot of people don't even realize that, even though your first warning sign should be the fact that you don't need a news article to tell you that behavior has damaging emotional/mental effects.

im so sick of psychiatrics. most of it is bullshit. not all, but most. and this is coming from a guy whose mother has ACTUAL problems. and a sister who doesnt but takes pills anyways.

just because your kid got picked on, or your kid bounces off the walls does not mean your kid has a disorder. i got picked on ruthlessly in jr high. but you dont see me taking pills for whatever disorder they want to label me with. i function just fine in the world. if anything, i'm better off
~gR~

If you are prescribed anti-biotics though you have to take all of them. If you don't the bacteria mutate and become resistant, causing things like drug resistant TB. It's mostly in Eastern European prisons now but it still freaks me out.

If you are prescribed anti-biotics though you have to take all of them. If you don't the bacteria mutate and become resistant, causing things like drug resistant TB. It's mostly in Eastern European prisons now but it still freaks me out.

I won't take any amount of antibiotics, given a choice. They kill bad bacteria, but they also kill good bacteria. Anti-life is basically what an anti-biotic is. Natural health remedies/boosting your bodies immune system/good nutrition is the way to fight "invaders" in your body. Taking poison is not.

im so sick of psychiatrics. most of it is bullshit. not all, but most. and this is coming from a guy whose mother has ACTUAL problems. and a sister who doesnt but takes pills anyways.

just because your kid got picked on, or your kid bounces off the walls does not mean your kid has a disorder. i got picked on ruthlessly in jr high. but you dont see me taking pills for whatever disorder they want to label me with. i function just fine in the world. if anything, i'm better off
~gR~
I know what you mean. My scoutmaster's kid had that "oppositional defiant disorder" that was mentioned in the article, but he miraculously grew out of it after joining the military.

Man the Democratic Party is fucked-up. :lol:

Hopefully with the Repubs out of the way there will be some decent minor-party support in 2012. I can't imagine people are going to be too happy with the idea of the Democrats running things forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can tell you how fast the Democrats will be out, if the economy fails to turn around by election time 2010. Hopefully they get replaced by some 3rd party candidates instead of more of the same republican bs. Not holding my breath though.

I won't take any amount of antibiotics, given a choice. They kill bad bacteria, but they also kill good bacteria. Anti-life is basically what an anti-biotic is. Natural health remedies/boosting your bodies immune system/good nutrition is the way to fight "invaders" in your body. Taking poison is not.

This is really just wrong.

im sure studies prove that. however ever since ive been eating better and working out more i get sick more often.
~gR~