Dakryn's Batshit Theory of the Week

That's true, although comparatively there are degrees of separation between charters. There's an article in the NY Times that does a better job of going into the problems with the U.S. Constitution in today's global society.

There are lots of possible reasons. The United States Constitution is terse and old, and it guarantees relatively few rights. The commitment of some members of the Supreme Court to interpreting the Constitution according to its original meaning in the 18th century may send the signal that it is of little current use to, say, a new African nation. And the Constitution’s waning influence may be part of a general decline in American power and prestige.

And...

The Canadian Charter is both more expansive and less absolute. It guarantees equal rights for women and disabled people, allows affirmative action and requires that those arrested be informed of their rights. On the other hand, it balances those rights against “such reasonable limits” as “can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society.”

The article also states that the USSR had a much more comprehensive constitution than our own, including "freedom of speech, of the press, of street demonstrations and protests." Lot of good that did them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/07/us/we-the-people-loses-appeal-with-people-around-the-world.html

Some USSR supporting red wanker got elected in my university town by supporting the Islamists.

Fucking asshole.

The article also states that the USSR had a much more comprehensive constitution than our own, including "freedom of speech, of the press, of street demonstrations and protests." Lot of good that did them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/07/us/we-the-people-loses-appeal-with-people-around-the-world.html

Yeah I was reading the other day that the USSR had an great Constitution. It just wasn't followed. This cycles the discussion back into that quote from Foucault.

Pieces of paper do not actually protect you from the actions of men. But people like to "fix it and forget it", and that is the approach that is taken by the semi-politically-involved populace.

Saw this on reddit: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/anonymous-wants-to-take-down-the-great-firewall-of-china/11495

Maybe I'm underestimating them here, but I think this time maybe they've bitten off a little more than they can chew.

The Great Firewall of China is a massive and complicated system that blocks all types of content that the Chinese government deems improper. It features firewalls and proxy servers at the Internet gateways, engages in selective DNS poisoning when particular sites are requested, and leverages various other methods to censor the Internet, including Connection resets, DNS filtering and redirection, IP blocking, Packet filtering, and URL filtering.

Frankly, I will be very surprised if Anonymous China succeeds. Then again, if they manage to pull off the feat for even a few minutes, it will be an accomplishment of epic proportions.

Yeah I was reading the other day that the USSR had an great Constitution. It just wasn't followed. This cycles the discussion back into that quote from Foucault.

Pieces of paper do not actually protect you from the actions of men. But people like to "fix it and forget it", and that is the approach that is taken by the semi-politically-involved populace.

One clause in the USSR constitution was that any of the constituent republics were free to leave the union. Notice there is no clause in our constitution for the states. In fact, the Soviet constitution had many protections of "states rights".

Saw this on reddit: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/anonymous-wants-to-take-down-the-great-firewall-of-china/11495

Maybe I'm underestimating them here, but I think this time maybe they've bitten off a little more than they can chew.

True. In America we arrest hackers, but in China they will probably just kill them.

True. In America we arrest hackers, but in China they will probably just kill them.

Not only that, but China's not exactly inept when it comes to things like stopping hackers. They have a population of over one billion, and there is plenty of anti-government sentiment. More and more people are getting internet connection and they keep having to step up their game to keep everything in check.

If a population of one billion couldn't find some way to get past it like this, I don't know if Anon can, but who knows?

I could see this blowing up. A lot of Anon is based in the US, and so China's bound to come knocking on the USA's door if Anon becomes enough of a nuisance. Anon could cause a bit of a problem in US-China relations. Since the US (for now) is basically allowing the free use of the internet that lets Anon attack the laws of a countries they don't live in. Sure, it's fine if they attack little theocracies, because the USA doesn't care as much about that.

China is the world's manufacturing giant, and if this gets bad enough, they may try to withhold products from us until our country stops Anon. I don't know if it will ever get to that, though. Ultimately, if it does, it will be China's industry vs. China's government.

What do you actually do for a living Dakyrn? I know your ex military and support a family (if you're on welfare then hypocrite just got a new definition).

And you think you're going to be a savior in a sea of poor psychiatric practices? ...good luck, dude.

Not a system savior. Just finding a market niche.

What do you actually do for a living Dakyrn? I know your ex military and support a family (if you're on welfare then hypocrite just got a new definition).

Student now. I was working for the MIC last year lol. That's pretty close to hypocritical if I hadn't quit.

The people occupying that niche tend to leave it or stop it and find what they deem to (probably) be less restrictive niches because modern psychiatric practice is almost entirely pill-pushing after a certain amount of visits/etc. due to insurance companies being dumb. Not saying don't try to, just saying it'll be less than optimal for you, I imagine.