Dakryn's Batshit Theory of the Week

Words like "good" and "bad" don't trace back to objective qualities.

But it seems like you want to subscribe to some kind of relativism where good is relativized to different cultures. But this is, in a significant sense, a kind of moral objectivism. I take it that the real contrast to relativism would be universalism, I guess (I am not sure what the best term is here.) If you want to deny that terms like "good," "bad," etc. latch onto any objective properties in the world, you might as well go the whole hog and deny the reality of moral facts entirely rather than stopping at relativism.

When I say "This beer is good," it means something entirely different than "He's a good man."

That's right, but I'm having trouble seeing how this example supports your view.

Show me what is always, without exception, good, and I'll show you an ideologue.

You're conflating two different things here, namely, (1) the question of whether there is something that is objectively good, and (2) the question of whether there is something that is always, without exception, good. You can answer in the affirmative to (1) while answering in the negative to (2). The question of objectivity concerns something like whether good is something mind-independent. This does not necessarily have anything to do with the concern over whether anything is always good. If I think there are some things that are objectively good, I need only believe, minimally, that some things are sometimes good and that their being good is independent of whether I take them to be good.

What does "bad" mean? It might be "bad" in a bodily sense; but who are we to presume that a culture practicing female circumcision places any worth or value whatsoever on the body?

Maybe there is a culture that doesn't. But what does that prove? It doesn't show that they're right not to; it just shows that they're different from us.

Perhaps we believe we do a "good" deed by extracting a young woman from such a barbaric culture, only to find that she kills herself days later out of shame or hopelessness, because her system of knowing the world has been irreparably shattered.

Somebody who denies moral relativism need not maintain that wresting somebody from the only culture they've ever known is the right thing to do all things considered.

When we presume that we can measure cultural worth based on purportedly Western, scientific views of good and bad, we establish a dangerous precedent whereby we view ourselves as qualitatively superior. I can't stand that.

Even if our acting like moral universalists had bad consequences like what you describe above, that would not support relativism. It's entirely consistent with the claim that female genital mutilation is just flat out wrong. And anyway, at the purely conceptual level, relativism definitely does not buy you the tolerance you seem to prize so much.

While her belief in female circumcision may be misplaced, her intention seems to be that other cultures are not qualitatively better or worse. You, on the other hand, seem to genuinely think that we can evaluate different cultures, eventually ranking them in terms of "best" to "worst." This is untrue.

Cultural relativism shouldn't be an excuse for blindly participating in cultural practices; but these practices aren't to be condemned or abandoned specifically due to their cultural worth, nor should we extend the scientific research on certain practices to evaluative judgments on whether or not a culture is "good" or "bad." Cultural relativism means refraining from qualifying another culture as definitively worse than our own. Good, bad, better, worse, etc. are terms that can only be weighed from within a cultural framework. Female circumcision might be a scientifically unhealthy practice, but this doesn't mean that a culture that practices it is definitively worse for someone born into that culture than, say, Western liberal democracy would be.

I'm sure I've criticised cultural relativism some time before on here. The last time I kind of got the same response, a definition of the concept with the implication that I didn't have an understanding of it.

I really don't see why cultural relativism is so widely accepted among people. It satiates people with insecure identities that relate to say, post-colonial nationalism or their religious identity. I don't think it does much in the way of good though, or at least other than that, if you regard that as being particularly important.

I want to respond with quotes and my comments because it would take me time to summarise the same point I'm about to make.

Bernays:

""There is no word in the English language," it says, "whose meaning has been so sadly distorted as
the word 'propaganda.' The change took place mainly during the late war when the term took on a
decidedly sinister complexion.
"If you turn to the Standard Dictionary, you will find that the word was applied to a congregation or society of cardinals for the care and oversight of foreign missions which was instituted at Rome in
the year 1627. It was applied also to the College of the Propaganda at Rome that was founded by Pope Urban VIII, for the education of the missionary priests. Hence, in later years the word came to be applied to any institution or scheme for propagating a doctrine or system."

"The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an
important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of. This is a logical result of the way in which our democratic society is organized. Vast numbers of human beings must cooperate in this manner if they are to live together as a smoothly functioning society."

Bernays, E, 1928

Now, as for Western universalism, is this really a 'problem' as such, or is it really a sign of the times and arguably a great accomplishment?
To quote:

"Our time is the first in which it has been possible to take a literally universal view of human history, because this is the first time in which the whole human race, all round the globe, has come within sight of coalescing into a single society." He goes on to mention this situation's precedents, through historical unification through Empire. "The issue between universalism and nationalism is one of life and death for the human race."

Arnold Toynbee, 1963

Now, I think I have brought some backing for at two proposals. First, that culture, popular opinion and political trends in a country are ultimately decided by an elite few. Whilst showing respect for those opinions and cultural trends (say the rise of Islamism after a few decades of flirting with secularism or something) might, on the surface, appear to be a benevolent decision, I would argue that it is most directly beneficial to the ruling elite in the country, both the official political elite and perhaps religious elite but also the more veiled sources of influence.
As the countries we call the West moved away from dogma, authoritarianism and made economic progress, the culture definitely changed. Witches are no longer killed by fire and women aren't dunked in lakes for gossiping. The Catholic Church has lost large amounts of its power and influence in various parts of the West and ultimately this is deemed to be good by progressives.
Now, view these changes from the point of view of an Islamist, they weren't truly positive changes. More to the point, they probably aren't from the point of view of someone living in Byzantium, if they could see the West today. There isn't a small reservation were nazis are allowed to kill a quota of Jews and Roma to satiate their fury and preserve their cultural integrity and Germanic pride.

But it seems like you want to subscribe to some kind of relativism where good is relativized to different cultures. But this is, in a significant sense, a kind of moral objectivism. I take it that the real contrast to relativism would be universalism, I guess (I am not sure what the best term is here.) If you want to deny that terms like "good," "bad," etc. latch onto any objective properties in the world, you might as well go the whole hog and deny the reality of moral facts entirely rather than stopping at relativism.

I haven't been explaining myself fully. I would say that if we adopt relativism, then we have to admit that it exposes the honest truth that moral facts do not exist. So I wouldn't stop at relativism; I would go all the way and say that moral facts are ex post facto constructs and entirely contingent on the way we've been embedded in history.

This doesn't mean that I don't take there to be external forms, or even truths, that are objective. I just don't see any reason why the objectivity of such forms or truths should lead us to make value judgments on them. Concrete reality need not result in a system of morality that privileges certain cultures over others. My thoughts on this are similar to Toril Moi's, who writes in the realm of gender studies: "If we are serious about denying that biology can justify social norms, it follows that the question of how many sexes there are or ought to be has no necessary ideological or political consequences whatsoever. It does not follow, however, that the material structure of our bodies has no impact on our way of being in the world."

That's right, but I'm having trouble seeing how this example supports your view.

Following what I've been saying above, I won't even claim that the meaning of "good" is relative. Somehow, the word "good" suffices to mean something, but I don't really claim to be able to point to a definition. What this demonstrates, in my opinion, is not that the word "good" is drawing on two entirely different meanings; it's that there aren't two different meanings at all. Rather, according to some preconceived rules of language, the word simply functions.

You're conflating two different things here, namely, (1) the question of whether there is something that is objectively good, and (2) the question of whether there is something that is always, without exception, good. You can answer in the affirmative to (1) while answering in the negative to (2). The question of objectivity concerns something like whether good is something mind-independent. This does not necessarily have anything to do with the concern over whether anything is always good. If I think there are some things that are objectively good, I need only believe, minimally, that some things are sometimes good and that their being good is independent of whether I take them to be good.

This is a good point, but I don't think it takes everything into consideration.

If something can be objectively good (i.e. good independent of our perceptive relationship to it), that means it must be capable of harboring a quality (temporarily or permanently) that makes it good. If we have nothing to measure it by except some obscure essential understanding of good (which can only be spiritual, theological, moral, etc.), then it stands to reason that even if the existence of this quality might be temporary, it is still always good in its potentiality. If something can be good independent of our perception of it, then the quality that makes it good must always make it good unless some other apparatus for measuring its quality or value comes into play.

Maybe there is a culture that doesn't. But what does that prove? It doesn't show that they're right not to; it just shows that they're different from us.

I agree, but perhaps that makes more sense if I abandon a belief in moral facts.

Somebody who denies moral relativism need not maintain that wresting somebody from the only culture they've ever known is the right thing to do all things considered.

I suppose it depends on what someone who denies moral relativism denies it for.

But agreed; even if someone adopts a strong moral stance, of course there are other options open that are likely morally superior.

Even if our acting like moral universalists had bad consequences like what you describe above, that would not support relativism. It's entirely consistent with the claim that female genital mutilation is just flat out wrong. And anyway, at the purely conceptual level, relativism definitely does not buy you the tolerance you seem to prize so much.

If moral universalism and relativism were the only two options, then I would disagree. Relativism is far superior to moral universalism; but obviously, such a judgment is already conditioned by my amoral attitude.

Fortunately these aren't the only two options; one can dismiss moral facts outright, as we've been discussing, which might preclude moral debate but does not preclude ethical debate. I believe that it is entirely possible to discuss proper ethical action that can lead to the benefit and development of society without morality ever entering into the debate.

I'm sure I've criticised cultural relativism some time before on here. The last time I kind of got the same response, a definition of the concept with the implication that I didn't have an understanding of it.

I really don't see why cultural relativism is so widely accepted among people. It satiates people with insecure identities that relate to say, post-colonial nationalism or their religious identity. I don't think it does much in the way of good though, or at least other than that, if you regard that as being particularly important.

What kind of identities are you talking about? National identity is not the only kind of identity, but it seems to be the kind you're privileging.

I would not identify myself as an American by any criteria other than that I'm a citizen of this country; it's purely political. As far as my beliefs go, they are conditioned by my nationality, but they aren't dictated by it. I'm not insecure in my identity, I simply don't measure it by my nationality.

Now, I think I have brought some backing for at two proposals. First, that culture, popular opinion and political trends in a country are ultimately decided by an elite few. Whilst showing respect for those opinions and cultural trends (say the rise of Islamism after a few decades of flirting with secularism or something) might, on the surface, appear to be a benevolent decision, I would argue that it is most directly beneficial to the ruling elite in the country, both the official political elite and perhaps religious elite but also the more veiled sources of influence.
As the countries we call the West moved away from dogma, authoritarianism and made economic progress, the culture definitely changed. Witches are no longer killed by fire and women aren't dunked in lakes for gossiping. The Catholic Church has lost large amounts of its power and influence in various parts of the West and ultimately this is deemed to be good by progressives.
Now, view these changes from the point of view of an Islamist, they weren't truly positive changes. More to the point, they probably aren't from the point of view of someone living in Byzantium, if they could see the West today. There isn't a small reservation were nazis are allowed to kill a quota of Jews and Roma to satiate their fury and preserve their cultural integrity and Germanic pride.

I wouldn't deny that the West has made measurable and important developments that have significantly altered world history; but I don't find the need to elevate the status of the West in order to make myself feel better.

Assuming that a Muslim wouldn't find the changes inaugurated by the Western world to be positive is presumptuous. Now, I assume you mean fundamentalist; but these comprise a very small number of Islamic believers. The idea that Islam is a threat to the Western world is idiotic and is fueled by superstitious beliefs like you've just reiterated.

Einherjar86 said:
What kind of identities are you talking about? National identity is not the only kind of identity, but it seems to be the kind you're privileging.

I would not identify myself as an American by any criteria other than that I'm a citizen of this country; it's purely political. As far as my beliefs go, they are conditioned by my nationality, but they aren't dictated by it. I'm not insecure in my identity, I simply don't measure it by my nationality.

You've assumed I'm talking about you. In political and cultural discourse that I've heard, cultural relativism is usually aimed at satiating the egos of people from places like africa and the indian subcontinent.

Einherjar86 said:
I wouldn't deny that the West has made measurable and important developments that have significantly altered world history; but I don't find the need to elevate the status of the West in order to make myself feel better.

Assuming that a Muslim wouldn't find the changes inaugurated by the Western world to be positive is presumptuous. Now, I assume you mean fundamentalist; but these comprise a very small number of Islamic believers. The idea that Islam is a threat to the Western world is idiotic and is fueled by superstitious beliefs like you've just reiterated.

I have put forward any superstitious beliefs, I've put forward that the move away from society unquestioningly and structurally adhering to those beliefs has been genuinely positive for mankind, in a universal sense. We would probably be in-able to even have this conversation if we were both devout Christians living in strict theocracies which could not tolerate religious or cultural minorities or atheism.

As for the second paragraph, it may be presumptuous, but it's an easy presumption to make and one I strongly believe to be accurate. Medieval Europe had a lot more in common with parts of the Muslim world, especially Taliban era Afghanistan than people may care to understand. also, vitally, if you watch a documentary called The Power of Nightmares, you will find a strong argument that the Muslim Brotherhood's mastermind was morally motivated by his disdain at an experience of the modern Western world. The vital importance of that man and his movement in relation to modern political islam and terrorism is also put forward.

It's very easy for people who deem themselves to be progressives to live in an "us and them" dichotomy between themselves, as middle class liberals and the reactionary people or people they deem so. However, just because some cigar smoking, NRA, LDS, Billy Graham, George Wallace type media personality has put their name on some notion does not mean that everything to do with it is "dumb" or ignorant. I urge you to look at what happened with Lebanon, from independence to the present day, culturally, with specific reference to the religious groups within the country and the declining influence and security of the Christian population. Don't read to much hard left or chomskyite sources, look at accounts from the Christian side and bear in mind what could have been, given different demographic shifts. I'd say what could have been a state as modern as Israel has become a semi failed state due, in no small part, to the increased Muslim population. There were other problems, especially in the Maronite leadership and so on, massive problems, but I think the point remains. A country CAN have its Christian values and society irreparably altered through immigration. It is obvious to anyone with a mind to think.

ITT SS quotes, approvingly, Bernays defending his heinous craft. It's a new low.

Um.... did you read what I wrote or just the name of the person I was quoting.

My point was, to put it more simply, if you abide by cultural relativism when observing the culture of some other land, the key beneficiaries in this are those like Bernays. I'm saying that cultural relativism is bad and that it helps the hidden (or in this case, often the public leaders of popular opinion).

The none western societies we are talking about, let's say Iran, have religious authorities that quite publicly attempt to alter popular opinion, so it has more in common with what Bernays regards as the methods of old. However, there will still be hidden hands and so on.

Anyway, I hope it's clear that I'm saying all of that manipulation is "shit" and that by being all "ooh, don't criticise a culture you do not understand" you are only benefiting the worse bastards in the society, the witchfinder generals and the goebbels.

Yes, let's just "say" Iran, as if you pulled it from the pile at complete random. :rolleyes:

While Iran may have religious authorities publicly attempting to alter public opinion, it is no less so in the West, except replace "Religion" with "secular" or "state" authority.

Yes, there will always be hidden hands. The Bernays of the world actively seek to be and increase the efficiency of those hidden hands and see it as "Gods Work" or some such thing.

While I would agree all that manipulation is "shit", part of that manipulation includes inflaming people into fear of "the other"; creating an us vs them mentality, as long as "them" is never the hidden hands. Something for all so that none may escape.

You think I'm this person who thinks the west is perfect and things that everything in wrong in the world is because of Muslims, Communists, some other foreign stuff. It's not true and you have to ignore half of what I'm saying to maintain that.

You've assumed I'm talking about you. In political and cultural discourse that I've heard, cultural relativism is usually aimed at satiating the egos of people from places like africa and the indian subcontinent.

First: if you read my responses to Cyth, you'll see that I'm not condoning cultural/moral relativism since that still falls within the bounds of the moral.

Second: you think that semi-relativistic views are generated as concessions/submissions to non-Western attitudes that need to be "satiated"? This is absurd, and it is the typical rhetoric spouted by right-wing conservatives who champion some vulgar form of national pride: "Why should we stoop to them? Why should we bow to them, or concede to them?" This is not the point at all, and claiming that it is does nothing more than perpetuate an ideological attitude that insists: "We don't need to stoop to that level." It's disgusting.

I have put forward any superstitious beliefs, I've put forward that the move away from society unquestioningly and structurally adhering to those beliefs has been genuinely positive for mankind, in a universal sense. We would probably be in-able to even have this conversation if we were both devout Christians living in strict theocracies which could not tolerate religious or cultural minorities or atheism.

Let me ask you something: why couldn't our society have Islam as its dominant religious system (instead of Christianity) and still exhibit all the political, economic, and technological developments that we cherish? Why can't Islam harbor the capacity for the same?

Islam re-introduced Aristotle to the West; it contributed significantly to the shift away from dogmatic theological thought; it expanded the field of mathematics, which in turn laid the groundwork for modern economics; it developed the field of medicine so that, in the Middle Ages, there were Muslim physicians with far better treatment records than Western doctors. Why can't Islam potentially harbor the same kind of society that we have today in the West?

The answer is simple: it can. Unfortunately, history has seen the dominance of Western political and military institutions in the non-Western world that have severely inhibited its development. Fundamentalist and radical factions that exist today aren't indicative of some evil or flawed kernel in the heart of Islam; they're the result of Western political intervention in the non-Western world, combined with very literal readings and interpretations of religious texts.

You want to propose a theory that insists that Islam is somehow inferior to Western Christian society. I disagree.

As for the second paragraph, it may be presumptuous, but it's an easy presumption to make and one I strongly believe to be accurate. Medieval Europe had a lot more in common with parts of the Muslim world, especially Taliban era Afghanistan than people may care to understand. also, vitally, if you watch a documentary called The Power of Nightmares, you will find a strong argument that the Muslim Brotherhood's mastermind was morally motivated by his disdain at an experience of the modern Western world. The vital importance of that man and his movement in relation to modern political islam and terrorism is also put forward.

It's very easy for people who deem themselves to be progressives to live in an "us and them" dichotomy between themselves, as middle class liberals and the reactionary people or people they deem so. However, just because some cigar smoking, NRA, LDS, Billy Graham, George Wallace type media personality has put their name on some notion does not mean that everything to do with it is "dumb" or ignorant. I urge you to look at what happened with Lebanon, from independence to the present day, culturally, with specific reference to the religious groups within the country and the declining influence and security of the Christian population. Don't read to much hard left or chomskyite sources, look at accounts from the Christian side and bear in mind what could have been, given different demographic shifts. I'd say what could have been a state as modern as Israel has become a semi failed state due, in no small part, to the increased Muslim population. There were other problems, especially in the Maronite leadership and so on, massive problems, but I think the point remains. A country CAN have its Christian values and society irreparably altered through immigration. It is obvious to anyone with a mind to think.

One country is not indicative of an entire culture or religious system, nor can what you're describing be entirely reduced to the influence of Islam. That's a paranoid interpretation of events. Furthermore, major political upheaval and regime shifts are often caused by radical militant factions because they're the ones crazy enough to resort to the awful violence we have fed to us over the news. You, however, are ignoring the fact that there are countless Muslim individuals and families caught up in such revolutions and upheaval who have no radical tendencies at all and do not desire the powers that come to be; but unfortunately, there's not much they can do in the way of resistance. You simply reduce all Muslims to the radical fundamentalist brand.

Second: you think that semi-relativistic views are generated as concessions/submissions to non-Western attitudes that need to be "satiated"? This is absurd, and it is the typical rhetoric spouted by right-wing conservatives who champion some vulgar form of national pride: "Why should we stoop to them? Why should we bow to them, or concede to them?" This is not the point at all, and claiming that it is does nothing more than perpetuate an ideological attitude that insists: "We don't need to stoop to that level." It's disgusting.

The thing that is disgusting is the group of elitist, moronic, spoon fed, quivering failed attempts at human beings who work in the legal system in the germanic and nordic countries who give people who have done things like commit and honour killing, raped and cut the clitoris off a woman (for being a white whore), bullied none muslim kids in ethnic dominated areas, all short, weak sentences. They feel morally superior to the "reactionary" public. Their own relativism and vague notion of the noble savage and white guilt make them reactionary in their own way and unable to have the strength of character necessary to sustain the society they are meant to safeguard.

It's amusing that you so fervently believe that postmodern relativism was honestly created for the benefit of non-Western countries.

It's quite clear to anyone who takes a step back and looks at the historical situation that relativism is, and can only ever be (historically), for the benefit of the West itself. To respond to your quotes with a quote:

"Having definitively exhausted itself after two ugly millennia of species vivisection, Christianity attempts to skulk away from the scene, aided by the fog of supine tolerance which dignifies itself as 'post-modernity'. It does not take a genius to see whose interests are served by this passage from militant theism to postmodern ambivalence. A despot abandons any game that begins to turn out badly."

Have you ever actually studied Islam? I took courses on it at two different universities. Judging Islam as fundamentally flawed is actually a pretty accepted thing. I've never understood why there are so many educated people who believe "all religious are the same". Maybe you can say that there are some ultimate similarities with some of them. A secular state full of nominally Muslim people who are irreligious and modern could work (because Albania is such a wonderful place), but Islam "by the book", with shariah law and so on.. no. Sorry, but I actually don't care how some leftist may philosophize it into supposed brilliance.

At some point you have to just say, fuck human egos, human lives are more important, which system is actually good for humans? The self flagellating one, the honour killing one, the group suicide one, or the rational one?

It's amusing that you so fervently believe that postmodern relativism was honestly created for the benefit of non-Western countries.

It's quite clear to anyone who takes a step back and looks at the historical situation that relativism is, and can only ever be (historically), for the benefit of the West itself. To respond to your quotes with a quote:

"Having definitively exhausted itself after two ugly millennia of species vivisection, Christianity attempts to skulk away from the scene, aided by the fog of supine tolerance which dignifies itself as 'post-modernity'. It does not take a genius to see whose interests are served by this passage from militant theism to postmodern ambivalence. A despot abandons any game that begins to turn out badly."

It serves more than just despots. There's a whole class of successful (and sometimes philanthropic) entrepreneurs supported by Western relativism. I see little point in passing judgment on such a system without recognizing the full consequences of the power structure it allows to develop.

There's no doubt that the advent of capitalism emancipated certain flows of production from the tyranny of the feudal state, but its global and technological development also re-territorialized new flows, and led to its own form of politico-economic state.

I don't think that relativism allowed for the success of Western capitalists. Rather, it allowed the system in which they operated to develop and prosper by effectively withdrawing from the ideological battlefield. That is, instead of continuing to pursue dogmatic ideals of Western supremacy and exceptionalism, it allowed them to claim "All cultures are equally valid and relevant, and we hold nothing against them." The implicit rider to this tale being that those same cultures couldn't hold anything against the West; but meanwhile, history has just emerged from centuries of Western imperial dominance and slavery. So we have hundreds of cultures/ethnicities around the globe thinking: "Fuck you, I'll hold it against you!" And why shouldn't they? Asking why they shouldn't be allowed to hold it against us is often misinterpreted as relativist, but no one is trying to justify or condone flying planes into buildings. But viewed in this light, I think it's rather easy to see how relativism played little role in effectively bettering the lives/opportunities of non-Western cultures, but did far more in providing an argument for the West to try and sneak off scot-free.

Right -- capitalism not only serves as a terrific lightning rod for hatred, but it provides an outlet for that hatred (i.e. in the Arab Spring countries) which is far less bloody than the typical rotating door of dictators that Western governments have been so brilliantly orchestrating over the generations. Let's not throw corporate America into that same bucket just yet.

The market is less bloody by definition. Politics is violence. Democracy is a less bloody form of politics domestically, but that's not necessarily a good thing. The nature of the arrangement is merely obscured, which allows it to slowly metastasize.

I don't believe for a moment that Western Intelligence isn't all over the Arab Spring. The coups of yesteryear were practice and [we] have grown smarter, more proficient, more clandestine. Sow the seeds and water instead of just merely forcefully transplanting. Unless it doesn't go the way we want. Then we just need to pay off a general to enforce the will of the people.

Relativism is to allow for absorption. You can't go to war with the world.

Of course not; but it doesn't mean that hatred is actually absorbed by the relativist attitude. Relativism is a band-aid on an amputation.

On a very small scale, take the Trayvon Martin case. The right-wing accuses relativism of allowing for such rampant coverage and black sympathy in the media, and the perpetuation of the racial element of the case. This completely misconstrues the situation. The right-wing backlash is the proof that race is still a huge issue that needs to be dealt with.

The relativism isn't in trying to rally for justice for a murdered black child. The relativism is the right's effort to try and suggest that race isn't even an issue in the first place: "We've left all that behind, we're no longer racist, we're all equal." THAT is the real relativist position.

Now, on a larger cultural scale. Relativism doesn't actually work for the masses that consider themselves oppressed, marginalized, disenfranchised, blah blah blah. It does nothing for them. Relativism is a Western invention that has served, beyond all doubt, Western interests. It has allowed the West, including entrepreneurs and businesses to claim that race plays no part in their decisions and profits; and I believe that many of them are genuine in that statement in that they believe themselves to be racially blind. But this allows them to ignore the larger picture, to sweep an entire history of Western domination conveniently and quietly under the rug.

Ok, on this I have to say a big what the fuck. This is a race issue because of race baiting by self appointed minority opportunists. The backlash against the grossly inaccurate racebaiting is purely "righteous" indignation.

Your Zimmerman comments sounded like a verbatim copy of SPLC propaganda.

Back to relativism, I do agree it's been most beneficial to western interests. It's easier to absorb than to fight. I also agree that it allows people to ignore the grosser points of Western history. However, why should I have to bear guilt for something someone else did in some far away time and place?