Dakryn's Batshit Theory of the Week

Straw man. I am not claiming an experience of anything. I am pointing to something with words that is not describable, seeable, experiential, or anything you can ever possibly think of it. The flaw in your argument is you're trying to grasp it, create an idea of it, ask for evidence, call it something, etc. No matter what you call it, it's not that. Your argument is a bunch of hot air because you don't know what I'm pointing to.

But address the claim that consciousness and self are not separate.

Straw man. I am not claiming an experience of anything. I am pointing to something with words that is not describable, seeable, experiential, or anything you can ever possibly think of it. The flaw in your argument is you're trying to grasp it, create an idea of it, ask for evidence, call it something, etc. No matter what you call it, it's not that. Your argument is a bunch of hot air because you don't know what I'm pointing to.

People are always mistakenly calling me out on committing the strawman. Maybe it is because people are terrible at defining their positions or claim that their position cannot be described. Big problem for the claimer there.

If there can be no words for it there can be no idea of it. However, we have the capability of making of words for ideas that have no words yet (neologisms). We have the capability of stringing together lots of words to define the new words. I'm not suggesting that we are creating an accurate idea of what you are pointing to, but we are doing a better job than you are, so you cannot claim "strawman". We aren't misrepresenting your idea, because you haven't provided a new idea. If "No matter what you call it, it's not that" is categorically true, then "it" is nothing, and so we can be justified in stating "it" doesn't exist.

But address the claim that consciousness and self are not separate.

Well I might take issue with the qualification "at their core", but I would agree that there is no significant, or practical, definitional difference between the self and consciousness.

People are always mistakenly calling me out on committing the strawman. Maybe it is because people are terrible at defining their positions or claim that their position cannot be described. Big problem for the claimer there.

And this is why koans exist instead of straightforward explanations.

If there can be no words for it there can be no idea of it.

Yes!!!

However, we have the capability of making of words for ideas that have no words yet (neologisms). We have the capability of stringing together lots of words to define the new words. I'm not suggesting that we are creating an accurate idea of what you are pointing to, but we are doing a better job than you are, so you cannot claim "strawman". We aren't misrepresenting your idea, because you haven't provided a new idea. If "No matter what you call it, it's not that" is categorically true, then "it" is nothing, and so we can be justified in stating "it" doesn't exist.

It is not concepts like existence and nonexistence. "Better" in this case is relative to each of us. For me, your explanations miss it because they are conceptual. For you, they are more on target because what I say likely does not make sense (which is a conceptual thing) and you appear to me to be trying to pin down conceptual sense.

Well I might take issue with the qualification "at their core", but I would agree that there is no significant, or practical, definitional difference between the self and consciousness.

I think you're closer to it from reading all this. I would recommend meditation, not to "prove me right" since I don't own what I'm pointing to and it itself is not concepts like right or wrong, but because when one familiarizes themselves with it/void/nirvana, reality collapses into a continuous, mysterious, infinite oneness of divine beauty, to put it mildly.

Yes. Consciousness experiences itself as "I." It is the source of the self (and not the other way around).

Yes. This conceptualization could be called a final boundary before nirvana. It is like I without I, which doesn't make sense in words.

Consciousness conceptually precedes the self though; this is the touchstone.

The network of consciousness is necessary for the self to emerge, but the self is necessary in order for consciousness to know itself in any substantial, if limited, way.

You cannot purge consciousness of the self. Without the self, there is no longer consciousness, since the self is the only point from which a conscious system can witness itself.

Consciousness conceptually precedes the self though; this is the touchstone.

The network of consciousness is necessary for the self to emerge, but the self is necessary in order for consciousness to know itself in any substantial, if limited, way.

Somewhat. The self is a concept that consciousness creates of itself, but in all of its functions, consciousness is a sort of underlying mechanism under all of knowing. Part of the meditation practice is about getting one to go to the base of the mechanisms that lead to knowing without making the extra step of conceptualizing oneself.

You cannot purge consciousness of the self. Without the self, there is no longer consciousness, since the self is the only point from which a conscious system can witness itself.

Consciousness need not witness itself to know itself since in all witnessing and non-witnessing it is there.

If there can be no idea of it there can be no experience of it.

I don't know what about this back and forth makes you think I've moved closer to something. The practical singularity of consciousness and the self is a prior position.

It is outside of experience and non-experience. I say you've moved closer because I didn't see any giving it a solid name or identity as some kind of unicorn or magical experience or answer to some question.

What experiences things and also lacks experiencing when there is nothing to be experienced?

Consciousness need not witness itself to know itself since in all witnessing and non-witnessing it is there.

Yes, it does need to, because witnessing is a constitutive component of consciousness. Without its witnessing, it wouldn't be consciousness. It doesn't lie "under" anything.

Yes, it does need to, because witnessing is a constitutive component of consciousness. Without its witnessing, it wouldn't be consciousness. It doesn't lie "under" anything.

Meditate enough, or clear your mind of concept, and you'll find it does indeed.

No. I don't need to. I know that consciousness entails selfhood, and that without selfhood consciousness dissipates into a nervous system that can receive sensory perceptions, but cannot know them.

This is the logic of conscious systems, and knowledge is a very specific human prospect that is tied to the structure of consciousness. Without self, knowledge vanishes, consciousness vanishes, subjectivity vanishes. These are the cognitive media through which we know. There's nothing besides them. Meditation provides an intense psychic illusion. It does not give us anything that can't be achieved simply by conceptualizing.

You can keep saying that your meditation provides answers to why we shouldn't kill each other; but if it gives us no discursive means to communicate this logic, or to discuss it with others, then it's totally useless to us.

Meditation provides an intense psychic illusion. It does not give us anything that can't be achieved simply by conceptualizing.

This idea is totally imaginary since you have not done it, and from my perspective having done it, false.

You can keep saying that your meditation provides answers to why we shouldn't kill each other; but if it gives us no discursive means to communicate this logic, or to discuss it with others, then it's totally useless to us.

It gives one direct experience of their unity with the entire universe and all sentient beings. Such unity already exists, hence this conversation, but a deeper experience of unity = more compassion. Scientific studies have actually demonstrated meditation increasing spontaneous empathetic responses in people. It also wires the neocortex into the limbic system and reptilian complex, enabling greater control of fight/flight responses. It also is associated with elevated serotonin levels.

Of course, neuroscience is association, but I guess that'll be more credible than my super lengthy koanish things.

Here's a scientist saying some of what I said: http://www.reddit.com/r/science/com..._series_im_david_desteno_professor_of/ckj21lc

Outside of simple ethics, it increases pleasures like the taste of food, sound of music, can increase one's reading speed, enable them to let go of terrible negative emotions more easily, increase memory, coordination, and the improved mindfulness and presence allows one to experience all aspects of their day fully without being bored or irritated, making their days longer and more delightful.

No one said meditation doesn't do all those things. But you still haven't experienced objective existence or whatever other incorrect label I can throw at your description.

I don't know what you ate for breakfast, but you didn't eat it.

It's not matter of experience. It's a matter of dropping concept and being at the core which we all have in our consciousness. Some experiences follow nirvana, but nirvana has been there all along. It's just a matter of just being, not thinking, doing, experiencing, etc. You have no possible way of knowing one way or the other whether or not I emptied my mind of concept and stuff.

Long post ahead:

I think we need to be really careful about what we mean when we say “know,” or refer to “knowing” or “knowledge.” Vimana is attempting to get past concepts (something I resist), but by using the word “knowledge” – as in, a subject can have nonconceptual knowledge of itself – without qualifying it, we’re miring ourselves in circular conversation.

This is from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy entry on consciousness:

Whether facts about experience are indeed epistemically limited in this way is open to debate (Lycan 1996), but the claim that understanding consciousness requires special forms of knowing and access from the inside point of view is intuitively plausible and has a long history (Locke 1688). Thus any adequate answer to the What question must address the epistemic status of consciousness, both our abilities to understand it and their limits (Papineau 2002, Chalmers 2003).

Questions of epistemology concern, by definition, the problem of knowledge, and this is handled in a conceptual sense. Consciousness entails conceptual investigation because it is a conceptualizing system – it responds to stimuli and sensory input in a conceptual way. By situating the subject of consciousness within a temporal flow, and installing the subject with memory, the subject of consciousness becomes aware of enjoyment and sensory pleasures in a reflexive way; that is, she can recollect that she enjoyed having sex, or eating chocolate, or (a more complex example) winning a competition, and thus will attempt to do so again. Without the subject, the central “I”, consciousness has no means of reflecting upon itself – the “I” is the window onto consciousness, but it is a window that offers only a delimited perspective, and any alteration of the perspective necessarily entails the preclusion of some other aspect (or aspects) of the system.

Without the ego, consciousness becomes a decentered system (meaning it ceases to possess a central perspective from which to contemplate); and this, in turn, means it ceases to be conscious. This doesn’t mean it would not be complex, or even intelligent; but it would lose the capacity for knowledge, since knowledge is constituted by limits, categories, concepts, etc. This is knowledge in terms of memory and order, to know something factually – in French, the word is savoir. We can turn to Foucault to get a better sense of the conceptual nature of savoir:

Knowledge [savoir], even under the banner of history, does not depend on “rediscovery,” and it emphatically excludes the “rediscovery of ourselves.” History becomes “effective” to the degree that it introduces discontinuity into our very being – as it divides our emotions, dramatizes our instincts, multiplies our body and sets it against itself. “Effective” history leaves nothing around the self, deprives the self of the reassuring stability of life and nature, and it will not permit itself to be transported by a voiceless obstinacy toward a millennial ending. It will uproot its traditional foundations and relentlessly disrupt its pretended continuity. This is because knowledge is not made for understanding; it is made for cutting.

This kind of knowledge is, in its ideological application, a mode of violence for Foucault. Knowledge results in conceptual understanding, but its primary purpose (through institutions of power) is one of separation, classification, and exclusion. This process of classificatory knowledge derives from a more primitive (we might say) concept of knowledge, which Foucault calls connaissance; this is knowledge in an individual, subjective sense, the knowledge of familiarity. Savoir is predicated upon connaissance; that is, the latter enables the former. However, it is also true that only savoir allows the cognizant subject to come into focus. Foucault thus argues that both forms of knowledge, whether individual or institutional, rest upon “injustice,” and that “the instinct for knowledge is malicious.”

This does not sound like Vimana’s “deep knowledge” (let’s call it that for now). Deep knowledge, according to him, reveals a unity between subject and object – in fact, it dissolves the subject entirely. I have no problem with this; I only have a problem with the claim that the system which underlies the subject can know anything in the sense that we speak of. Knowing necessitates reflection, and reflection necessitates an ego. One can find a compelling argument for this in Wittgenstein’s private language argument. According to Wittgenstein, there can be no private language (i.e. a language that could not be translated into any other, but that allows the subject a direct knowledge of itself). Furthermore, the very notion of interior experiences is mediated by their arousal through language, so that nothing, no interior state can be free of linguistic contamination (I use contamination here in a neutral sense). This isn’t to say that we don’t have interior experiences, merely that in order to know that interior experience it must pass through some kind of symbolizing apparatus. Without subjective reflection – without the ego – we would still have these experiences, but we would not know them. Knowing is a project, or pursuit, particular to human subjectivity.

As I said, this doesn’t mean that complex systems vanish without a central ego. Niklas Luhmann has driven this point home with his work on communication – communication, that is, being a system with no central, intending subject, but only various nodes or conduits through which meaning gets generated. There is no intention or source of meaning, at least not in a subjective sense; rather, meaning happens retroactively as an effect of the system. It may be desirable at some point in the future for humans to adapt to – or toward – some kind of decentered cognitive state. However, even decentered complex systems lack totality – they are governed by infinite play, displacement, metaphor and metonymy, internal difference and disjunction… There is no legitimate scholarly regime (beyond outdated theism) that gives us any reason to believe otherwise.

Thus, a semantic intervention: I do not think that you (Vimana) can keep using the word “knowledge” as you are using it. I cannot prove a negative, so I won’t keep saying that what you experience is an illusion; but it is a convenient move to be able to say “Nothing I can say can prove that what I’m saying exists actually exists.” To offer an analogous situation, you may have come into this thread and said the following: “Hey guys, it’s true if you simply force yourself through the pain of depriving your lungs of oxygen, you’ll find that your body can actually breathe underwater.” To which we might respond, “That isn’t true at all.” You could ask us to prove that it isn’t true, but we would not be able to. Furthermore, you would say that there’s no way you can explain in words how the body does it – we would just have to experience it ourselves.

Regardless of whether our bodies would start breathing underwater, you can see how you have precluded advancing the argument or discussion in any way. It is said that the Tao cannot be directly explained; one can only indirectly access its ontology through figurative language. So, what we have here are basically philosophers trying to argue with a poet.

I agree with your post. I don't think "knowledge" would be an accurate term for my experiences because each memory, pattern, etc. for me is tied to unknowns to such a degree that definite-sounding statements I make aren't true or false in my own mind. It was quite nerve-wracking at first, but I've gotten used to it.

Also, everything (sensory experience and concept) to me vanishes just as soon as it happens, so pattern is more or less something I touch upon at different times instead of hold as a piece of myself and carry with me always.

All I experience, including emotion and thought is like I am watching it and not like it's me. I still create a concept of myself as a person, but it is another experience I watch rather than identify with. Even my own body has a somewhat alien vibe to it. I don't know if this experience could be defined as conscious, but I feel more awake than before I started meditation practices.

Lastly, I don't see how divisive knowledge is malicious. I just don't really get it. If we're trying to understand a singular reality, why not at least try to integrate all of one's conceptualizations?

Knowledge, in all its forms, is beholden to historical conditions, dynamics, power structures, ideological false consciousness, etc. The list goes on. There is no such thing as pure knowledge; knowledge somehow separate from our position within the world.

All knowledge, by definition, exists only be way of rupture, separation, and contamination. The only way to know something is to know, simultaneously, what it is not.