Dakryn's Batshit Theory of the Week

Ha, well that's entertaining at least. When the campaign season for began, a friend and I chatted nonchalantly about whether Trump was an orchestrated figure placed on the stage to attract attention (and potentially votes) in a certain direction.

I don't promote such things as my personal beliefs, but they're always there in the back of my mind. But I tend to see things operating at a level that even the mysterious "elite" can't control.

Haha, me neither. Žižek has played the media for years now; there's a reason he's "the Elvis of cultural theory."

Additionally, Žižek is a Marxist, and that's why he supports Trump.

Ha, not exactly. Žižek's position seems to be that Trump is so backwards that he's bound to accelerate the system's implosion by enforcing reactionary measures that won't address deeper structural conflicts.

Ha, not exactly. Žižek's position seems to be that Trump is so backwards that he's bound to accelerate the system's implosion by enforcing reactionary measures that won't address deeper structural conflicts.

That doesn't seem to be what he's said in his most recent Youtube video.

I don't think he's saying that Trump is going to be the source of these "big awakenings." But then, it's often difficult to know exactly what Žižek is saying.

I don't think he's saying that Trump is going to be the source of these "big awakenings." But then, it's often difficult to know exactly what Žižek is saying.

Yeah he's pretty clear that he thinks Trump has his own issues (which he does). I think the point is that if Trump wins - if he's not being put up there himself - this will instigate some major changes in how politics/consensus making works in the US. The various wings of the Cathedral if you will, will have to re-evaluate how they operate.

I guess this goes here: I have such a broad range of response to the Trump win depending on the angle. I think the most positive response is to the fucking meltdown I knew would occur - mostly amongst those vocal liberal women - but also amongst populations I happen to be immersed in in general. This election has revealed a lot of underlying truths about the irrationality of humanity, and has been totally amazing for my own personal ongoing education in observing humanity. My cynicism grows exponentially yet somehow I still care about humanity. It's more than I can say for all of the liberals I encounter. They have an inverse correlation between their cynicism and care.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
My cynicism grows exponentially yet somehow I still care about humanity. It's more than I can say for all of the liberals I encounter. They have a direct correlation between their cynicism and care.

A direct correlation implies the care grows along with the cynicism - so it sounds like you're saying about liberals what you also just said about yourself.

That is what I figured. :D

I'm not sure of which liberals you're speaking so generally, but I think you might be mistaking theoretical motivations or concerns for a lack of care. Abstracted methodologies can sometimes appear cold and uninterested in the lives of individuals.

That is what I figured. :D

I'm not sure of which liberals you're speaking so generally, but I think you might be mistaking theoretical motivations or concerns for a lack of care. Abstracted methodologies can sometimes appear cold and uninterested in the lives of individuals.

Not any liberal intellectuals. I mean your average Democrat etc personal emotional orientations.

I really don't get the anti-voucher movement tbh

Payday lenders aren’t charging outrageous interest rates so they can get fat off the profits. They’re charging outrageous interest rates because loaning money to poor people who often fail to pay back their loans is a hard business to break even on.

don't agree with this, though.

Haha, that's actually one part of it that I remember definitely agreeing with. I mean, not in any ethical sense, just an economic one. It's the same for student loans. I agree that student loans are an outrageous amount and a tremendous burden to pay off, but they're tremendous because a growing number of students aren't getting the high-paying jobs to pay off those loans.

I'm against privatizing education, but my reasons are different than those discussed in the SSC post or the original article. As far as the piece goes, it is very good I think; but both authors seem to be assuming that "efficiency" is an agreed-upon objective, and that it's easily measurable. The problem with addressing the growing education crisis via the market is that educational efficiency (whatever it is, or whatever it looks like) isn't easily measurable in economic terms.

I don't understand disagreeing with the payday lender issue. The profit margin is the proof. You can argue that they "take advantage of poor people" because these people shouldn't be loaned money, but then that sort of orientation towards poor people has it's own issues.

like the article suggests though, Starbucks is 9% profit and they are obviously doing damn fine. There's a surplus of those piece of shit loaning agencies near poor areas, I don't believe they are 'struggling' to stay afloat