Dakryn's Batshit Theory of the Week

Motherfucking facepalm:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/03/us-usa-qe3-subprimeauto-special-report-idUSBRE9320ES20130403

Thanks largely to the U.S. Federal Reserve, Jeffrey Nelson was able to put up a shotgun as down payment on a car.

Money was tight last year for the school-bus driver and neighborhood constable in Jasper, Alabama, a beaten-down town of 14,000 people. One car had already been repossessed. Medical bills were piling up.

And still, though Nelson's credit history was an unhappy one, local car dealer Maloy Chrysler Dodge Jeep had no problem arranging a $10,294 loan from Wall Street-backed subprime lender Exeter Finance Corp so Nelson and his wife could buy a charcoal gray 2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara.

All the Nelsons had to do was cover the $1,000 down payment. For most of that amount, Maloy accepted Jeffrey's 12-gauge Mossberg & Sons shotgun, valued at about $700 online.

In the ensuing months, Nelson and his wife divorced, he moved into a mobile home, and, unable to cover mounting debts, he filed for personal bankruptcy. His ex-wife, who assumed responsibility for the $324-a-month car payment, said she will probably file for bankruptcy in a couple of months.

When they got the Exeter loan, Jeffrey, 44 years old, was happy "someone took a chance on us." Now, he sees it as a contributor to his financial downfall. "Was it feasible? No," he said.

In Alabama, Jeffrey Nelson continues to drive a bus for the Walker County school system and to work as a constable for his neighborhood. His financial struggles continue, too. "It's one hit after another," he said recently at a local mall restaurant over a dinner of bourbon-glazed chicken - some of it packed up for later. "Three days ago, I lost my iPhone. Had to buy another."

Court records show Nelson has monthly income of $1,592.97, while monthly expenses total $1,563.00, leaving about $29 in his wallet. His ex-wife got the Suzuki SUV.

He still owns a 1996 Dodge Ram pickup truck. If he can scrape together the money, he said, he'll buy blue lights and a siren to put on the truck for his work as a constable.

Blaming others? Check.
Complaining about hard times while blowing money? Check.
Planning on wasting more money? Check.

Cool.

I don't think we're "the math," but I do think that emergence theory has provided ample evidence that very similar patterns emerge at various levels, be they global (e.g. demographics, technologies, language, etc.) or local (e.g. consciousness). Studies have shown pretty remarkable similarities between the functioning of human consciousness and ant colonies.

Ah, emergence theory, I did some reading up on it when I was researching Cartesian reductionism, but i didn't catch any studies :> Send a link my way?

I'd like to read his book. Based on what has been standing out to me about the NT for the last few years, I'm not going to be too difficult a case to convince.

Last edited by a moderator:
The man in that video does not understand what he's talking about.

Ah, emergence theory, I did some reading up on it when I was researching Cartesian reductionism, but i didn't catch any studies :> Send a link my way?

I don't know any online. I'm reading a book by Steven Johnson called Emergence: the Connected Lives of Ants, Brains, Cities and Software. It offers lots of concise synopses and explications of different studies and other texts on complexity, drawing them together. It reads a bit like journalism rather than theory or philosophy, but Johnson still gets the point across.

Just so we don't appear to be making baseless accusations:

Jared Taylor entirely misunderstands what intelligence is. He measures it by progress, but this strikes me as little more than Western bias and a conservative reactionary stance against accusations of racism.

All human beings have the same capacity for knowledge; just because African cultures don't use wheels doesn't mean they aren't intelligent enough to invent it, and that kind of understanding is dangerous and very biased. Cultures create and invent based on the relationship they have with their environment, and if conditions do not promote technological development, then this doesn't mean that the people in that environment are naturally less intelligent than others. All it means is that this culture has not experienced the necessity to develop in the same way.

A major issue for Sub Saharan Africa was relative isolation due to geography and Egypt, meaning it was left out of the flow of ideas via trade and war that occurred in the East/Eurasia/West/North Africa.

Good point, although I also believe that there really is no reason why Sub-Saharan Africa should have developed in the same manner and direction that the Western world did. Development corresponds to the conditional need; it's entirely contingent. The Western world developed the way it did because it experienced the material pressure to do so.

The man in that video does not understand what he's talking about.

I don't know any online. I'm reading a book by Steven Johnson called Emergence: the Connected Lives of Ants, Brains, Cities and Software. It offers lots of concise synopses and explications of different studies and other texts on complexity, drawing them together. It reads a bit like journalism rather than theory or philosophy, but Johnson still gets the point across.

Cool, thx. Doesn't Professor Robert Sopolsky have a lecture online about emergence and complexity?

Yeah, here it is. Does this lecture relate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Most definitely, I've watched it (I think you originally posted it, actually). I'm really intrigued by emergence theory, mainly because it offers some striking explanations for how complex patterns can "emerge" from remarkable simple processes.

Daniel Dennett also comments on this in relation to consciousness in his book Consciousness Explained. A bit of a presumptuous title, but it's an interesting book; or the chapters that I've read, at least...

I have a copy; read portions. Daniel Dennett's work is equally, if not more, explanatory in my opinion.

I find Dennett's disproving of the "Central Meaner" to be particularly interesting.

Well, since I have read the entire Jaynes book, I think you find it to be even more explanatory when taken as a whole, particularly when you get to the latter chapters on hypnosis and schizophrenia. Jayne's theory is the only thing I have ever read with a viable explanation as to what these two phenomena actually are. Then it really clicked home.

I am also currently reading The Julian Jaynes Collection, released last year, and to this day the evidence supporting Jaynes' Bicameral Theory continues to mount and give further credence to it and it has not been debunked with any success or near-success.

Dennett is very accepting of Jaynes's theory, if I'm not mistaken. I think he disagrees with some of the premises, or evidence, but he finds the theory convincing overall. Speculations on consciousness are just that, so it really becomes assessing arguments based on their internal workings and rationale. Jaynes is a good writer, and the book itself is certainly interesting.

I just find Dennett to be a bit more developed in his approach, less focused on gods and hallucinations and more interested in things we take for granted, like speech, writing, etc.

Well I would have to read up on Dennett, of course. But many have taken Jaynes' work to even more ridiculous areas, like Terrance McKenna. Talk about a guy who is out there, he uses psychedelics to talk to aliens. But this Dennett sounds a lot more grounded.