Dali's Dilemma - Manifesto for Futurism

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Dali's Dilemma - Manifesto for Futurism
Magna Carta - 2000
By Mista Holta

This is the debut album from prog-rockers Dali's Dilemma. What a debut it is! This band has a bright future, if this album is any indication.

From the opening track, Within a Stare, techno turning into a heavy, rocking opening theme followed by pure rock n' roll vocals, this album has originality written all over it. Within a Stare is arguably one of the best opening tracks for any rock album.

Moving on to the next track, Miracles in Yesteryear, showcases the stunning musicianship of guitarist Pat Reyes, keyboard player Matt Guillroy, and bass player Steve Reyes. This song was my personal favorite of the album, but the band is incredible on all ten tracks.

Every song has a different feel, from the ballad Hills of Memory, to the progressive orchestration of Living in Fear.

Matt Bradley is a very talent vocalist, and uses a very full range throughout the album. Most of the time I think he sounds like many modern rock vocalists who 'sing' through the nose, but he also demonstrates that he can do much more than sing like Eddie Vedder. Like all the other members of the band, his musicianship is unique and brilliant. I feel Bradley's vocal can be effectively used to draw in fans from modern rock.

Overall this album has influences from a bit of every musical style, while keeping it heavy, progressive, and most importantly, original. The band is incredibly tight, playing complex music and still keeping it heavy and rocking. From ballads to well thought-out instrumental sections, Dali's Dilemma music is driven by melodic vocals, crushing rhythyms, scorching solos, and the occasional odd time signature. I believe this album helps disprove the theory that technical musicians can’t write solid hooks.