Dallas Star-Ledger: Dream Theater's lead singer a nightmare

When you say JP's "funky" solo's, are you meaning that in a manner of the Under A Glass Moon solo? 'coz thats his best.
Oh, and one more - did DT play tribe? and how is "tribe"?

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
When you say JP's "funky" solo's, are you meaning that in a manner of the Under A Glass Moon solo? 'coz thats his best.
Oh, and one more - did DT play tribe? and how is "tribe"?

No. "funk"... meaning the guitar sound he selected for the solo sounded like a funk guitar sound

NO no no no no!!
"shreddy" is me' nickname. Not shreddles (that makes me sound like a teddy bear or some small little cute thing)

Awww, that sucks. Home is my favourite DT song

Johnny Wonderpants said:
I don't know if this has been said, but this reviewer is an idiot. LaBrie never sings in falsetto...

Dude buuuuuuuuulllshit. You think any guy's natural range is that high? Every male metal singer who sings in the soprano range is using falsetto. Ive heard LaBrie is a tenor, but Ive also heard his range is closer to a baritone. Russell is definately a baritone.

Falsetto is the maximal elongation of vocal cords with minimal glottic gap. It can be produced at almost any frequency, but is mostly produced in the upper range for both male and female voices. Falsetto was originally called "false voice" because of the use of castrates (castrated males) when women were not allowed to sing in churches.

It is the breathy sound that occurs when the vocal cords are allowed to separate. Falsetto will not blend with chest voice, therefore making it impractical to use except for special vocal stylings.

It's not used alot in metal. Don't mistake those with higher registers for singing in falsetto. Labrie doesn't do it alot, although he might should, cuz he can't hit the damn notes most of the time...

Yngvai X said:
Dude buuuuuuuuulllshit. You think any guy's natural range is that high? Every male metal singer who sings in the soprano range is using falsetto. Ive heard LaBrie is a tenor, but Ive also heard his range is closer to a baritone. Russell is definately a baritone.

Yes, it is. Listen to the guy from Dreamscape.

Last night was an incredible show. Fates Warning opened and while many in the crowd were unfamiliar with them, they did get a good response from most. Ray Alder is a killer frontman live, and their set ended with Monument, one of my favorite songs of all time. The big surprise came during Life In Still Water, midway through, Mike Portnoy joined them onstage and they launched into the second half of OSI's Shutdown, with Ray and Nick, who did a commendable job filling in for Zonder, trading vocals.
FW set: one - apsog excerpt - point of view - pieces of me - life in still water/shutdown - monument
Queensryche followed and put on a great performance, divided into four parts: the obscure stuff (linked by the anti-technology theme), songs from Promised Land, Empire, and Mindcrime. The first few songs were a highlight (Including Open, which sounded much better than on the album), and Eyes Of A Stranger is always excellent live.
QR set: open - my global mind - NM 156 - screaming in digital - i am i - damaged - empire - jet city woman - silent lucidity - anarchy x/revolution calling - speak - eyes of a stranger - encore: desert dance - best I can
Dream Theater closed, and did a completely different setlist from the last time I saw them at Jones Beach, zero overlap except for the first half of the encore, and since this was shared with Queensryche, that doesn't count. :) The band was in top form, even though Rudess' tone does clash with the earlier material a bit. And some huge surprises were featured, including yet another Rush cover, but hardly an obvious one...Glass Moon was great, and the full moon in the evening sky accompanied it well... :)
DT set: home - under a glass moon - peruvian skies - only a matter of time (!) - erotomania - voices - the silent man (electric version) - the necromancer/baba o'riley - metropolis pt. 1 - encore with QR: the spirit carries on - take hold of the flame

I saw Dream Theater on the tenth in New Jersey. Labrie actually impressed me. He was pretty much perfect. I was a pleasant surprise...

I think the setlist went something like this...

Overture 1928
Strange Deja-Vu
Through My Words
The Glass Prison
The Silent Man
Another Day
Goodnight Kiss
Solitary Shell
Learning to Live
Peruvian Skies (Queensryche came out to help out, and it was awesome...)