circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Dam – Purity: The Darwinian Paradox
Candlelight Records – CDL0186CD – June 28th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

cover_Dam.gif

Dam! C’mon, was there another way to begin this review? I think not. Anyhow, Purity: The Darwinian Paradox is the debut album from these British metallers, and what a debut it is. Most, if not all, of the time, Dam plug away at a death/thrash hybrid that owes royalties to At the Gates, Death and other defunct groups. I assert that the guys have their bloody forefathers to be thankful for because, without them, this record probably wouldn’t have transpired.

With this album, we are handed twelve tracks that span about fifty minutes when totaled. Predominantly, Purity: The Darwinian Paradox is comprised of numbers that run between four and five minutes in length, while there are a few exceptions – the latter being extraneous interludes, which only waste about a minute or so of, according to Jeff Spicoli, our time. There’s also a cover of Carcass’s “Forensic Clinicism/The Sanguine Article” to be had here; it sounds jolly good. As far as vocals are concerned, Underwood generally projects an underdeveloped, thrash shout, and I would like to see the man improve upon his craft. However, his intended style does complement the music extremely well. Dissecting “Fury” extemporaneously is perhaps a good way to determine both Dam’s strengths and shortcomings. Gomez’s drumming on the aforesaid slays, in any case. And, if anything, the output’s overall length actually detracts from its worth. I like this particular subgenre to be quick and short. Thus, it’s painstaking to make it through the entire disc in one sitting, though Purity: The Darwinian Paradox is a tangible outpouring of inspiration.

As Dam continue to develop, I hope their noteworthy idiosyncrasies are developed further so that we might all be able to salivate over their next one. The Brits certainly don’t have a shortage of solid acts. What else is there to say but: Cheers!

8/10

Official Dam Website
Official Candlelight Records Website

This was a great album! Real technical without being spastic or self-indulgent. Killer riffs, especially on the beginning of "No God Before Me". They don't have a lot of metal bands in Old Blighty any more but the ones they do have are awesome!!! :worship: