damage control demonizer?

sash poask

Mar 24, 2008
hey guys,

did the search for this but didnt find that much info.

basically at the moment my bedroom setup is just pluging my schecter hellraiser straight into a mackie onyx and then using amplitube metal with some impulses.

so my question is, do you who have had experience with this pedal, think it woud be an imprvement to my setup....e.g. using schecter>demonizer>onyx>impuse?

what are your opinions?

sadly recording with a real amp is not an option at the moment :(

The Demonizer isn't a very good preamp. I owned one for a few months, it sounded fizzy and undergained, and definitely sucked with impulses. I highly recommend an ENGL e530 or a used Peavey Rockmaster rack preamp.

i have a demonizer and a womanizer in use since a few years now, i bought both when they came out, i hooked them up on my mackie onyx, applied the eq there, an extra EQ is important imho, and then i have a g-sharp as send effect attached to give more "room" when playing with headphones..

i dont play chugga-chugga metal or need some djenty tones..so i´m happy with it for my "rock" music ;)
and, when you are using impulses you can achieve so many sounds, its just hell of tweaking..i tried to apply a few, some, like the recabinet demo impulses worked smoothly, or a marshall 1960, or so, was also great sounding..

what i like of the demonizer is that you have a very accurate response of your playing..its a different feeling compared to a vst-sim, its really like an amp.

i havnt used the demonizer as an preamp in front of another amp..only for fun a week ago with my recently bought mesa roadking into the fx return, output 4x6L6, there he showed some big balls, but except that, i have no experience with that.

on the negative side of the demonizer, i think the subtle differences of guitars, (not the pickups, more like woods, physical acoustic tone) gets more lost then compared to a high class amp..

cheers
exoslime

Have used the Demonizer for a few months and wasnt very pleased.
The bottom-end is kind of loose and the treble is not very nice.
I wished they had put a normal midknob on it instead of the bionic eq or whatever its called.
Using it direct I thought it was alright. Not great and just as good as any directmodeler. the thing you gain is that its more responsive to your playing and together with a real amp (directly to poweramp or clean channel) its not that great at all.
As the other guys said, buy a good rack-guitarpreamp instead.
If you can handle a soldergun I must recommend to buy a old MP-1 and mod it using some of the instructions from adadepot.com.

kazrog,

ive seen some peavey on ebay, would you say its good for metal rock stuff?

ive checked out the engl 530 and am very impressed, but cant afford a new one at the moment, and havent seen any second hand ones :(

I've heard awesome stuff from and about the Peavey Rockmaster, I say totally go for that if you can!

sweet man, any links? would be cool to hear some stuff done with it,
another possibility i found is the ada mp-1....anybody had experience with this in a metal context?

Surprised to hear you say that Marcus, since the tone of the Rockmaster is very similar to the TripleXXX/JSX sound that you don't seem to be too fond of.

Nah, I like what I've heard of the XXX, whereas the JSX has this nasty sorta metallic thing IMO (and my old roommate had an Ultra Plus Combo, which was the predecessor to the XXX, and it sounded badass) - honestly, though I've never played the XXX, since I've heard clips (by Nwright for example) that DESTROY anything from the JSX, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they're not as similar as many believe (the JSX has the trademark Peavey sound alright, it just sounds metallic, thin, and lifeless to me)

Nah, I like what I've heard of the XXX, whereas the JSX has this nasty sorta metallic thing IMO (and my old roommate had an Ultra Plus Combo, which was the predecessor to the XXX, and it sounded badass) - honestly, though I've never played the XXX, since I've heard clips (by Nwright for example) that DESTROY anything from the JSX, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they're not as similar as many believe (the JSX has the trademark Peavey sound alright, it just sounds metallic, thin, and lifeless to me)

You just described how my XXX sounds to me lol.

are you talking about the ada? and are we talking roots?

I think Andreas kisser used a mp-1 to the input of a clean JCM800 during the "Arise"-era or earlier.
The Mp-1 is kind of old 80´s metal sounding so if you want it to sound like a modern preamp, I suggest you mod it or leave it to someone who can mod it for you.
I have som samples here:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=712632
Its moded to sound a little more rectifierish than the original.