Dan lilker about mustaine...

LORD_GALVATRON

New Metal Member
Mar 13, 2002
The ATL.
Visit site
"WHY DAVE MUSTAINE MUST LEAVE THE METAL SCENE" by Dan Lilker for Zero Tolerance Mag

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a column written by underground old-timer Danny Lilker (Nuclear Assault, Anthrax, Crucifist etc) for UK magazine Zero Tolerance.

WHY DAVE MUSTAINE MUST LEAVE THE METAL SCENE
By: Danny Lilker
(Printed with kind permission of Zero Tolerance Magazine)

Maybe this is gonna be old news by the time you end up reading this, but that can't be helped. The indignation I feel is current as of mid-May, so here we go...
It seems that Megadeth's Dave Mustaine has had Dissection thrown off a festival in Israel that Megadeth is headlining, and has similarly had Rotting Christ booted off a couple of Greek shows where they were supposed to support Megadeth. Why?? Wellllll, it appears that Dave has found God! Yes, Dave Mustaine says he is now a born-again Christian, and bands like Dissection and Rotting Christ, with their rather obvious anti-Christian idealogies, are not allowed to play with Megadeth now. To me, this is nothing short of absolutely ridiculous, so allow me to elaborate...
Let me get something out of the way first. I'm a pretty tolerant person for the most part, and if Dave wants to follow that particular path in life, well, it's not for me to pass judgement and condemn him. It's his life, and he can do as he pleases IN HIS PERSONAL LIFE. Ah, now we're getting somewhere! The problem starts when it becomes apparent that Dave's new-found values clash with the values of the underground metal scene, and instead of saying to himself "Well, I guess now I'm a little out of step with things", he arrogantly and selfishly decides that anti-Christian bands can no longer play on the same stage as him. The point being, HE is the one that should no longer be playing with these bands, since his values no longer reflect those of the metal scene in general. HE is the anomaly now. Therefore, the more appropriate move would have been to say "I don't think I want to play these shows with these types of bands anymore, so we ain't doing them."
However, the thing is that Dave has chosen to be born-again. Here in the States, "born-again" is synonymous with "evangelical", and evangelical Christians feel it is their duty to save as many souls as possible. They are also extremely arrogant and closed-minded. Now, we can mock the guy from Korn for turning into some bizarre Jesus freak, but to his credit, at least he upped and left the scene he was once a part of and didn't try to stick around impose his new way of seeing things on the rest of his band and their fans. Dave, on the other hand, is doing just that. He's still using his influence as an icon in the metal scene to attempt to prevent bands with anti-Christian and Satanic viewpoints from getting exposure amongst people who want to see Megadeth. That is where the evangelical arrogance comes into play. In some twisted way, perhaps Dave thinks he is saving souls by continuing to remain in a scene he no longer has anything in common with. "What a challenge, to cleanse metal of evil!"
Dave, break up the band, and pursue your new love for Jesus on your own. Leave the rest of us out of it.

Looks like the Christian-fundamentalists have gotten a hold of Mustaine. Whatever....I lost interest in Megadeth after their 3rd album. Maybe Dave can promote some type of Censorship bill to keep these "evil" bands away.....or have a bible study seminar before the Megadeth show. ..........

Arg_Hamster said:
Dave should listen to his old songs, a little reminder that there is a world and views of life besides hardcore evangelist christianity.

Yeah, there is nothing evangelistic about the lyrics to "Good mourning...Black Friday" :headbang:

While I don't blame Mustaine for not wanting to tour with bands that have different beliefs than his, I do agree that HE should be the one to leave the tour, rather than throw the other bands out. However, I wonder how many people would pay to see these other bands without Megadeth on the bill.

Well, a Good Cristian would see this as an opportunity to convert these young Rotten Jesus Bands over to his cristian ways, and would want to play with them so that they may benefit from the experience. Love yer Enemys, or was that Enamas? haha! :D

I've said it a million times before: Dave Mustaine has metamorphorisized into a hypocritical pussy.

He refuses to play on the same bill as bands who use anti-religious imigry YET he took Exodus out on tour last year. Exodus are one of my all time favourite bands but they (Gary Holt) are far more genuine about their dislike of Christianity and religion is general than Death Metal bands who tend to base their lyrics of fantasy. I'm not into Dissection or Rotting Christ so I can't be sure on that score.

There is actually much more of a reason for why Dave should stop participating in the metal scene: there's not been a really good Megadeth album for over ten years and the new one shouldn't even have the Megadeth name on it!

MikeyBong said:
While I don't blame Mustaine for not wanting to tour with bands that have different beliefs than his, I do agree that HE should be the one to leave the tour, rather than throw the other bands out. However, I wonder how many people would pay to see these other bands without Megadeth on the bill.

That´s how I feel about it too. If Mustaine don´t like it, fuck off and let the pagans have their fun.

DiscipleOfThePit said:
He refuses to play on the same bill as bands who use anti-religious imigry YET he took Exodus out on tour last year. Exodus are one of my all time favourite bands but they (Gary Holt) are far more genuine about their dislike of Christianity and religion is general than Death Metal bands who tend to base their lyrics of fantasy. I'm not into Dissection or Rotting Christ so I can't be sure on that score.

Agreed. Mustaine´s got do decide if he´s first and foremost a performer or zealot. He can´t expect to be treated like a primadonna and throw people off festivals for having opinions (I´ve never heard the guys in Rotting or Dissection being very vocal about their versions of spirituality until this happened.)

If it disgusts Dave so much he should only play at christian music festivals or retire from live performing (there might be people with CoF :tickled: shirts there).

Rock on Lilker. He should have re-joined Anthrax when Bello left last year; who knows what could have been. I like Frank, though.

I like Dan and all but I have to disagree with him on this one. Since when does the metal scene revolve around anti-Christian values? I'm sure the majority of metalheads are non-Christian but anti? No.
Would Dan be willing to let a Christian band play on some festival he was headlining? I doubt it. No different then Mustaine (who I personally think is a total douchbag anymore) not wanting a Satanic band on his.