Danny's solo gig in Dublin last Saturday

vavonia

New Metal Member
May 19, 2003
A great day...I met Danny on Dublins main street - O'Connell street @ 1400 (was 30 mins last!!)...went and had some food ans then went to my place for about 90 mins for Danny to have a 'power sleep' (as he calls it!!!)...
We were expecting no more than 30 people at the Sugar club...for some reason we didn't seem to have any kind of expectation in the air. Plus new venue, a bit out of the way etc and also the fact that the gig was at very short notice.....
In the end, the soundcheck was done....we snuck off for a quick drink (my birthday weekend, y'know...I deserved it..:)...) and by the time Danny was onstage, about 75 people were there (this looked good, the venue was like a small cinema converted and the official capacity was 150)....by the time Danny was about 20 mins in, we had 90 payers and 101 including guests. Much better tuen out than we had hoped for....

To the set...well, he ended up playing for 2 hours and the response was just great. Including 2 standing ovations at the end of the show. We had lots of Anathema classics....Everwake from Crestfalled was a particular joy and surprise.....a preview of a new song or two....other highlights were Temporary Peace, inner Silence and a very emotional One Last Goodbye...during which Danny was given the respect and quiet that he rightly asked for!

To finish....we had All you need is Love from the Beatles and a perfect rendition of Imagine.....and lastly, after numerous crowd calls...Danny did Sleepless!....after three attempts to leave the stage and two hours after he started....the eldest Cavanagh bowed down. A total victory!!!!

A brilliant night and the total highlift for me...simply because of the surprise at how it worked...Maiden's 'Wasted Years'...backed only with Piano!!!!...incredible!!!!

'Til the next time????

NUEUHESUPKVF.JPG

I'm still laughin me arse off at the state of this poor lads fizzer :lol: this is the effect acoustic gigs can have on de hevvie metal punters.

But the lad left the most important part of the night out, a storming acoustic version of "heart of steel" that left even me feeling almost all manly and that. but fuck me that new track (flying?) came close to being the highlight of de weekend. Boss like!!

cos I was late and then i got lost on the way as usual, anyway theres a fine big review up there for ye
it was the biz ...thats my review

happy??

God...thinking back, I cannot believe how BRILLIANT 'Wasted Years' was with just piano and Danny singing...sorry, to any MaidenHeads...but I think, it blew away the original!...man, he should do it at an Anathema show!

fukking right, i thought the lad might play it but i did'nt realise what a top cover it would be, i even rooted somewhere in time out the next day for a blast but thats just not the same. did anyone record the gig by any chance??

sooooooo...
understaaaaaaand...
the wasted time always seaching for those wasted years...

:yell:

smithy wrote some decent maiden songs...

Bambi said:
NUEUHESUPKVF.JPG

I'm still laughin me arse off at the state of this poor lads fizzer :lol: this is the effect acoustic gigs can have on de hevvie metal punters.

But the lad left the most important part of the night out, a storming acoustic version of "heart of steel" that left even me feeling almost all manly and that. but fuck me that new track (flying?) came close to being the highlight of de weekend. Boss like!!
aye we'll be trying that one out next weekend in holland if all goes well in rehearsals. maybe closer too.o_O

Bambi said:
but are you curious about how they're still knocking around now even though their sell by date was 1987?? :D

i wont start the whole discussion again but yeah, i like some stuff on No Prayer, Fear, Xfactor and the newest one. virtual XI is the one who sucks a lot though. they got it completely wrong there.
and yes, the stuff from 7th son and before is better in general.