Danzig Circle of Snakes

tedvanfrehley

Your Favorite Uncle
May 28, 2003
the bluegrass state
Visit site
I had no intention of picking this cd up today. I had Best Buy reward points to spend and was looking for some DIO or Dokken, when this jumped out at me. I had forgotten about it.....I was pleasantly surprised, however, on my first listen. It seems like Glenn has gone back to the sound of Danzig I, II and III... the dude from Prong is on guitar and it sounds like he's doing his best to pull off the old John Christ sound, even with the harmonic squeals like Zakk Wylde or JC is famous for. A lot of these tracks remind me of Danzig III songs....Now, I'm not saying this is album of the year...(WOLF!!!) but it is probably the best DANZIG album since III. If you like old school Glenn then you may just have your faith restored with this one. Check it out. It ain't bad!
ps...no sign of techno or drum machines or distorted vocals on this one!

Sounds tastey. I might have to look that one up.
I have to wait though. I just picked up some more Deth remasters
& a couple other misc things. I will hop on over to half.com & see if they have it.
I think the first disc is king, ther other two after were decent as well.

I'll have to check it out if it's like their early stuff. I get nervous hearing that a band went back to its roots aymore. The bands try to change and expand, but the fans don't like it so said band tries to write a new album but their views have changed and the album, although better than any of the last ones, sounds forced and none of the atmosphere or mood is there.

I just read something Kerry King said about Reign in Blood. He said they didn't know what they were doing and the album was a product of everything around them at the time and they'll probably never do something like that again.

Which is why I am also nervous about Operation Mindcrime II. Should I take the memories of the first one and run? I'll listen to it, I'm sure, but with great hesitation.

Anyway, I'm sure Glenn still has some good ideas in him and should have no problem singing and heaven knows he's got a good guitarist in Tommy Victor (who also has great ideas) but I hope Glenn isn't trying to force himself to write an old album because he feels he has to to sell records. The metal community is a picky bunch and seldom falls for it.

Good point...it's actually not a carbon copy of the old stuff...I guess it's just that the GUITARS sound like the old stuff...but he still has that kinda new sound going on. If you like "Five Finger Crawl" then you'll like this one. Picture that song with the old guitar tones.

tedvanfrehley said:
I had no intention of picking this cd up today. I had Best Buy reward points to spend and was looking for some DIO or Dokken, when this jumped out at me. I had forgotten about it.....I was pleasantly surprised, however, on my first listen. It seems like Glenn has gone back to the sound of Danzig I, II and III... the dude from Prong is on guitar and it sounds like he's doing his best to pull off the old John Christ sound, even with the harmonic squeals like Zakk Wylde or JC is famous for. A lot of these tracks remind me of Danzig III songs....Now, I'm not saying this is album of the year...(WOLF!!!) but it is probably the best DANZIG album since III. If you like old school Glenn then you may just have your faith restored with this one. Check it out. It ain't bad!
ps...no sign of techno or drum machines or distorted vocals on this one!
EXACTLY my thoughts! This album is great and is one of my top 5 of the year. :D

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
Ok you have me convinced ... as Pabla almost did.. i will put that on my to get list.. thanx..

Awesome! :p

How's it compare to his previous I Luciferi (which wasn't as electronic as the previous cds, but still not very good IMO) ?