Dare I ask? Vocal Advice.....

DemonKnight5150

Stop scopies me
Nov 17, 2005
Baker City, Oregon
Well, I read Will's previous thread. Sorry to hear that your gig got screwed up. They going to let you make the date up? And I'm also sorry to see some troll on here acting like a fucktard. Your music kicks ass and your vocals have gotten 100% better since the first song I heard from you, though I can't remember the name.

Anyway, the last time I posted my music on here I got a lot of flack because I was pretty much labeled a "cookie monster" by some. Keep in mind, ladies and gents, that I am a drummer and the only reason I did the vocals was because we don't have anybody in the area who can growl, scream, and sing.

So here's the situation. I want to greatly improve my vocal technique and get my voice to do more than it can right now. Any books, DVD's, or even advice anybody can give me? Any help would be appreciated.

I'm seeking advice on screaming, growling, and actual singing.

I'm sure that anything would help. You seem to not be struggling. I find that I get out of breath very quickly and my throat kills me after I'm done. But it's all for the music and I don't care, lol.

There was a post called tips on grim vocals that already covered this. Type grim vocals into the forum search engine and it should come up. It covered death, black, and power/prog styles.

lol i find that i can only growl at a metal gig along with the band. i can never growl if im demanded to or just whenever. lol only when im at a metal gig. but i also sing and the only advice i was given is get lessons and just practice a fuckload. it helps... good luck

The Zen of Screaming pissed me off. I borrowed it from a friend, and was told good things, so I was anticipating something revelatory.

but alas, all I got was ADD editing, 1000 interviews with singers in shitty bands, who say nothing at all about singing itself, just how great Melissa Cross is... and then when the great Melissa Cross DOES talk, its barely anything relevant to anything.... Theres about 10 minutes of GREAT tips, and an hour and a half of filler and bullshit.

It's like a great big ad for her personal training.

DemonKnight5150 said:
Well, I read Will's previous thread. Sorry to hear that your gig got screwed up. They going to let you make the date up? And I'm also sorry to see some troll on here acting like a fucktard. Your music kicks ass and your vocals have gotten 100% better since the first song I heard from you, though I can't remember the name.

Anyway, the last time I posted my music on here I got a lot of flack because I was pretty much labeled a "cookie monster" by some. Keep in mind, ladies and gents, that I am a drummer and the only reason I did the vocals was because we don't have anybody in the area who can growl, scream, and sing.

So here's the situation. I want to greatly improve my vocal technique and get my voice to do more than it can right now. Any books, DVD's, or even advice anybody can give me? Any help would be appreciated.

The Zen of Screaming by Marcia Cross. They sell it on Amazon. I just ordered it and am waiting anxiously. I really want to train my voice so that I can do this right.

That's really the only one I've found that has to do directly with screaming/gorwling.

DemonKnight5150 said:

The Zen of Screaming by Marcia Cross. They sell it on Amazon. I just ordered it and am waiting anxiously. I really want to train my voice so that I can do this right.

That's really the only one I've found that has to do directly with screaming/gorwling.

The secrets of singing by Jeff Allen is a great book and comes with 2 CDs you can use for practicing.

It isn't for growlers but the same ideas apply for singing basics.

I suggest you work very hard on breathe control and placement of the notes.

DemonKnight5150 said:
I'm sure that anything would help. You seem to not be struggling. I find that I get out of breath very quickly and my throat kills me after I'm done. But it's all for the music and I don't care, lol.
OK, if you're running out of breath quickly, it doesn't matter whether you scream, growl, yodel, sing, rap or bark like a f*cking dog -- you need a vocal instructor. Your (relevent) muscles just aren't trained to support what you're trying to do. If you can get coaching from a book or video, neat. I think someone with a pulse is better, but it's your call -- you need to be doing vocal exercises, complete with the breathing exercises, and learning to properly support whatever sound is coming out of your mouth. I'd advise against going with any teacher who hears about your coockie monster tendencies and gets all weird -- one who really gets what he/she is doing will recognize that, although some vocalizations can harm the vocal chords, if there's noise coming out of your mouth, it can be better controlled by learning better control.