Dark Music?

BlueSky

New Metal Member
Apr 27, 2006
I think it's pretty safe to say that we're all here because of our love of dark music. So my question is, what's the darkest, most haunting or saddest music you've heard?

probably ulver's cover of solitude by black sabbath, that song has one of the best atmospheres ever.

also a lot of songs off anathema's "hindsight", but i think i just associate that with a dark time in my life

oh and face of melinda by opeth, especially on the roundhouse tapes where you can hear that incredible (and epicly sad) solo :D. Hours of wealth by opeth is incredible too, it feels so depressing, almost like he cant even gather up the energy to play guitar :D

Katatonia and Anathema are the darkest, saddest bands I have ever listened to. Especially Anathema's A Natural Disaster and Alternative 4 are very melancholic and dark. Also My Dying Bride has got some really dark stuff out there. But nothing can top the depression in Tonight's Decision for me. Saddest album ever and the only thing that gets close is Discouraged Ones.

Edit: Tonight's Decision and A Natural Disaster effects me so much that most of the time I avoid listening to them.

Katatonia, Anathema, The Angelic Process, Cold, Black Tape For A Blue Girl, Love Spirals Downwards, Cocteau Twins, Draconian , Lycia, Shining, Daylight Dies, many more that I cant think of at the moment.

All for different reasons:

Skepticism - "The Gallant Crow"
Warning - (All of Watching From a Distance)
Katatonia - "Gateways of Bereavement", "Elohim Meth", "Gone"
Mournful Congregation - "Fading Light of a Dying Sun"
Dead Congregation - "Martyrdoom"
Candlemass - "Solitude"
Black Sabbath - "Solitude"
Alcest - "Sur L'Ocean Couleur De Fer", "Circe Poisoning the Sea"
Vali - "Doedens Evige Kall"
Townes Van Zandt - "Black Crow Blues"
Agalloch - "A Desolation Song"
Sigur Ros - "Untitled I"

blah blah blah tons more I just can't think of right now. All the above have given me goosebumps on multiple occasions, and I've cried through at least half of em once or twice.

you could try some trip hop(there is a damn good reason katatonia has been using it in their music lately)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh ya a couple of Portishead songs could reasonably be up there but they aren't quite on the same level as some of that other junk to me.

Besides Katatonia, I don't often get a depressive/sad vibe from Metal. I think the saddest stuff I've heard comes from bands like Lush, Slowdive, Bethany Curve, Jeff Buckley, Elliott Smith and a lot of post-punk, "goth" rock, shoegaze...etc bands. To me, it just seems more realistic than some band that records in a cave and has a singer who cuts himself screaming(not picking on anyone, but this stuff just seems novelty and not genuine).

But I can agree to a certain degree with bands like Candlemass and Solitude Aeturnus. Especially these two tracks:

Ohhh...bad mistake by me...blame it on the cof cof cof cof cah cof cah coffee

still that one, musically, is sad...but I mean this:

We'll save Samarithan for the "Bands that kick so much ass, but have a hint of religious lyrical magic, that you love but hope that the satanic metalhead at the end of the block doesn't find out you listen to them or else you won't be kult anymore" Thread.

Yeah, definitely can't forget Type o

And Right Into The Bliss, that riff just gets me everytime. If anyone can create the absolute melancholic riff, it's Anders.

Besides Katatonia, I don't often get a depressive/sad vibe from Metal. I think the saddest stuff I've heard comes from bands like Lush, Slowdive, Bethany Curve, Jeff Buckley, Elliott Smith and a lot of post-punk, "goth" rock, shoegaze...etc bands. To me, it just seems more realistic than some band that records in a cave and has a singer who cuts himself screaming(not picking on anyone, but this stuff just seems novelty and not genuine).

Do you listen to much of that classic funeral doom stuff? Death/black metal certainly doesn't get me sad (cept occasional exceptions like ColdWorld), but I don't know how you can listen to works like Stormcrowfleet, Weeping, or even Stream From the Heavens and not feel it a little.

And Watching From a Distance is a whole nother story.

Like I said though, for most metal I would tend to agree, and I might be posting more along the lines of your stuff but I simply haven't delved into a lot of that shoegaze kinda stuff yet. What I am into so far, i.e. The Cure, Dead Can Dance, etc., is certainly up there.