Saddest song you've ever heard

Of course..this one must be on this thread.

I know Theatre or Tragedy don't have a lot of great sad songs, but this one still is one of my top 10...maybe top 5..maybe top 3..it all depends.

oh my, i haven't heard this song in so long but you are right it is very powerful.

I actually can pick just one, but after the top one, there's definitely plenty.

1. Elend - The Poisonous Eye

Evoken - Quietus
Agalloch - The Melancholy Spirit
Katatonia - Omerta
Elend - Silent Slumber
ahhh another Elend fan! Nice pick though I would have to say The Luciferian Revolution is one of the most beautiful songs ever

anathema - are you there, angelica
nightingale - alonely (it got even sadder for me when i found out it was about his divorce)
opeth - hours of wealth

i love sad songs :)

sweet, well there's two versions of the song, the more Elend-like one on Les Tenebres du Dehors and then a stripped down, sole female vocal rendition on Weeping Nights

what albums have you heard so far?

I've got Winds Devouring Men, Sunwar the Dead, and Weeping Nights, though I haven't listened to WN much.

Warning- Watching From A Distance
Warning- Footprints (best song on the Watching From A Distance album and also the saddest)
Warining- Bridges
Warning- Faces
Warning- Echoes
Metallica- Low Man's Lyric
Opeth- To Bid You Farewell
Opeth- Hope Leaves
Moist- Low Low Low
Katatonia- Deadhouse
Katatonia- Help Me Dissappear
Katatonia- Tonight's Music

sadest shit around is Warning's Watching From A Distance and Katatonia's Discouraged Ones.

the unrivaled soundtracks for your suicide.

some others...

Dead Can Dance - How Fortunate the Man With None
Dead Can Dance - Severance
Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
Neurosis - The Eye of Every Storm
Neurosis - No River to Take Me Home

I think the most depressing song, to me personally, is Transfixion, by Rapture.
Something about the atmosphere of that lead riff, and the absolute hopelessness of the lyrics just tears me down every fucking time.

Evanescence - Hello

This song is really sad and touching imo. The anathema, opeth, agalloch songs listed through this thread are all great songs, but a lot of them I don't find quite as touching... Especially the Agalloch songs, they've never really been an emotion evoking band, I listen to them more for the atmosphere I guess.