Dave Mustaine says John Kerry will ruin the country

Oblivious Maximus

I am the worm
Nov 5, 2003
Serving time in the middle of nowhere
Megadeth frontman Dave Mustaine recently spoke to Pit Magazine about their new album "The System Has Failed", politics, and the election, amongst other topics. Here are some excerpts from the interview:

Pit Magazine: The cover painting [on the new album] is very striking. It marks the return of band mascot Vic Rattlehead who is accepting payoffs from politicians. Where did the idea come from and weren't you going to use longtime MEGADETH artist Ed Repka to do the cover?

Dave Mustaine: "That was my idea. I talked to Repka, but he got weird with me. We talked about a price, but he is another ingrate. He was a college kid who I put on the map. He wasn't doing anything, we had him do one record cover and then every record cover after that he used the same exact paint that he did 'Peace Sells' with. He must’ve bought too much paint. THE CIRCLE JERKS record was done in the same colors. We talked and we had everything worked out and then he started jacking the price up. Then I said goodbye and this time it's forever. I got a guy named Mike Lerner to do it. A lot of people see Bush up front and think that I'm anti-Bush. But everybody is there. The Clintons, Arafat and Blair, the Arabs; nobody is guilt-free. Even though Bush is waving his finger at Vic, what Vic stands for is so much deeper than anybody is on the cover. And the point of the cover is that you can get away with murder in America. You can buy your way out of it."

Pit Magazine: Speaking of politicians, it is an election year in the United States and that has many famous people endorsing presidential candidates. You did the opposite because you recently said, "musicians should shut the fuck up and play music because they don’t know anything about running a country."

Dave Mustaine: "You see Al Jourgensen of MINISTRY going around saying 'Fuck Bush.' And I've always liked MINISTRY but I know that guy has a legendary drug problem so you can't really take what he is saying seriously. The United States is the strongest country in the world for a reason. Now I'm gonna vote for Bush. I voted for Clinton, but I don't give a fuck because I vote for the lesser of two evils. Kerry is a mistake. He will ruin our country. But the fact that people would vote based on who a celebrity endorses is just stupid. Don't vote for Bush because I'm voting for him. Don't vote for Kerry because you hate me."

Pit Magazine: More celebrities should take your stance, but they don’t.

Dave Mustaine: "Yeah you've got Tom Morello from AUDIOSLAVE walking around talking about freeing the people in South America while he is walking around in his fucking Gucci silk suits. Spare me, what do you know about that? Talk about hypocrisy. Natalie Maines from the DIXIE CHICKS said that she is ashamed to be from the state of Texas; well I'm ashamed that you are fucking from America. I saw her at a Nashville Predators game, talk about somebody who needs to go on a diet. I don't know if she was pregnant at the time, but she sure looked it. But the fact is unless you are a politician, shut up. What do they know about politics? (With a southern accent) Oh well I'm gonna vote for a guy that gonna raise taxes on the fucking rich. You stupid twat. You are in the upper income bracket in America, you are gonna get taxed. And when small business owners get taxed, jobs are lost. How stupid is that? You don’t know what the fuck you are talking about, shut up.

Right on Dave!

Wow, I always pinned dave as like a greenie type because of the song "countdown to extinction"...I'm way fucking glad that he is not so partisan. And he's damn right that those drugged out hollywood and musician types, Bush bashing for the trend of it should shut the fuck up. Or at least, have another side to the fucking argument heard....

Dave fucking rules!!

Dave Mustaine said:
But the fact that people would vote based on who a celebrity endorses is just stupid. Don't vote for Bush because I'm voting for him. Don't vote for Kerry because you hate me.
The most intelligent thing anyone in metal has said on this whole business in a LONG time.

Dave Mustaine said:
You see Al Jourgensen of MINISTRY going around saying 'Fuck Bush.' And I've always liked MINISTRY but I know that guy has a legendary drug problem so you can't really take what he is saying seriously.
BAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! Oh man, that is too hilarious. :lol: MUSTAINE of all people.

Buzzard said:
I want to thank him for a moment of clarity

Billy,I belive hes on capitol records................. dont hold me to that ,im not sure

Dave Mustaines politics may be good, but the one thing that really gets me is the fact that he still whines about being kicked out of metallica........Its like what 20 years later?

Buzzard said:
What Label is dave mustain on?
The System Has Faild was released on Sanctuary Records.

old school headbanger said:
Dave Mustaines politics may be good, but the one thing that really gets me is the fact that he still whines about being kicked out of metallica........Its like what 20 years later?
Yeah, he does tend to bitch about being kicked out of Metallica a lot. He was on TV a while ago and said something about him being in the Metallica movie, but I forgot what he said.

Billy,I belive hes on capitol records................. dont hold me to that ,im not sure

Dave is not on capitol anymore. The "Capitol Punishment" best of was his swansong for the label, hence the name, and he´s on Sanctuary now I guess.

Cryptkeeper said:
The System Has Faild was released on Sanctuary Records.

Yeah, he does tend to bitch about being kicked out of Metallica a lot. He was on TV a while ago and said something about him being in the Metallica movie, but I forgot what he said.
I didn´t see the movie but read he was pretty pissed off, they showed him in the movie like a whining little bitch and he didn´t authorise to that, yet they showed it, I have to see for myself.

Here is another part of the interview where Dave talks about the Metallica movie:

Pit Magazine: I know you weren’t happy with the footage of yourself in the METALICA documentary "Some Kind Of Monster", but I was wondering how you felt as a musician of METALLICA’s current musical direction?

Dave Mustaine: "I don’t listen to them anymore and I haven't listened to them for a very long time. I wouldn't even know what they are doing. I heard their last song on the radio and I was pretty surprised that it was them. I would have listened closer if I knew it was.

"I've talked about the movie enough. I wasn't happy about it. They know it. They used my footage and I told them not to. I'm not going to be talking to Lars ever again. That's basically the long and the short of it. After a while, you just kind of ask yourself if I was so unimportant and such a temporary, shitty guitar player for so many years and with them ignoring the fact that I even existed, why is it so important that I’m in the movie?"

Pyrus said:
^Seriously. It's hard to look bad in comparison to Metallica, but Dave has managed to bitch himself into a corner.

Of course, as long as he can still play "Tornado of Souls" live, all is forgiven. :)
Shit dude im sure he can..........but the question to be asked is ..........can the rest of the band he hired play Tornado of Souls?...........................

Hey if Dave is pissed about Metallica, he has a right to be considering that when he was kicked out, he asked that they did not use his music and they agreed but they went ahead and did it anyway. Other than Cliff Burton who has already passed away, Dave kicks all of their asses. Cliff and Dave were the best thing that happened to Metallica.

Shit dude im sure he can..........but the question to be asked is ..........can the rest of the band he hired play Tornado of Souls?...........................
I would bet my ass. Coz the following concert lineup is certainly different from the studio one. Nick Menza is back on drums and he probably CAN play Tornado. Glenn Drover (ex-King Diamond, Eidolon) is on guitar (excellent fucking shredder by the way) and I can´t even recall the name of the bass player but he´s from some respected metal band.
And if you ask me, I think the musicians he hired on The System Has Failed record, are beyond brilliant...I don´t know of better drummer than Vinnie Colaiuta.
The sad fact is, I only like the first three songs on that album.

I saw Megadeth last night, and the answer is yes, they can play "Tornado of Souls." Glen Drover can SHRED like a motherfucker, and James MacDonough (ex-Iced Earth) is a very capable bassist. Sadly, Menza has left Megadeth again, but his replacement (Glen's brother Shawn, also of Eidolon) is damn good. That song was definitely the highlight of the set.

Pyrus said:
I saw Megadeth last night, and the answer is yes, they can play "Tornado of Souls." Glen Drover can SHRED like a motherfucker, and James MacDonough (ex-Iced Earth) is a very capable bassist. Sadly, Menza has left Megadeth again, but his replacement (Glen's brother Shawn, also of Eidolon) is damn good. That song was definitely the highlight of the set.
I didn´t know Menza left again! But Shawn is one hell of a drummer too. Speaking of Eidolon, I never liked the vocals. But it´s pretty cool these toxic twins have teamed up with Mustaine. BTW don´t you know why Nick left? I have to check their website.