Dayum its hard getting a hold of Joey!

oh gotcha so mastering is only after everything sounds perfect already and just to make loud and mesh with the rest of the songs

Since mastering is something that causes misunderstandings very often, I wrote this run-down of my personal mastering workflow in another (similar) thread a while back. As I wrote, it's not a guide or anything, but perhaps it'll shed some light on the process for you: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/9873438-post22.html

so what is a good place to have a project as far as being ready for mixing by someone else? drums quantized in time. what else?

Every instrument as well as vocals quantized (if needed, usually (and unfortunately) yes), vocals (and instruments if needed) tuned, tracks cleaned of unnecessary stuff (tom tracks, for example), tracks named PROPERLY. That's what I require, some mixers might be more strict. I do bend with these, as long as it's discussed prior to the session :)

how 'ready to go' was the air i breathe's album to your standards?

really ready to go.
wish the vocals were tighter but, that's got nothing to do with me and i didn't touch them (timing wise).

i had to do a lot of drum stuff by hand, the overheads could have been better by thousands of miles. i mean... i dont know what the hell was up with those overheads, but i had to do some really crazy scientific shit to make them work.

haha holly shit! its joey! what does classify as mastering in your opinion? if the music is mixed but we wanted post production is that considered mastering or mixing?

mastering in my opinion is when you take a completely finished mix (tones, fader rides, overall sonic goal achieved) and making it loud, enhancing the sonic character, and not fucking up the original mix, only improving it.

i had to do a lot of drum stuff by hand, the overheads could have been better by thousands of miles. i mean... i dont know what the hell was up with those overheads, but i had to do some really crazy scientific shit to make them work.

in terms of timing? or tone?

mixed:
unbaked.jpg

mastered:
baked.jpg

Those guitars (and the entire mix) sound mono. Hard pan them left and right. I also don't hear much bass.

The rough mix you have in there sounds better in my opinion.

oh! so the all guitar tracks (other than solo lead stuff) are hard panned? i have two tracks per guitar other than the lead at the end, the way i had it in this mix is one of the two left panned ones is hard panned then the other at about 30% and opposite on the right for the other two tracks, they should all be hard panned? how hard do you guys pan oveheads?