ddrum pro triggers false triggering...

I rarely have mistriggers with them, but I really crank them down. Press the foam in till it is tight against the head

I usually put them on so there all the way down as far as they can go on. It really must have been the drummer hitting the rim.

Now my drummer i used to jam with bought a pack of the red shot triggers and they look like the same trigger sensor but just a different mounting and there 1/4 in instead of xlr.

Anyone use those ones and whats your thoughts on them for recording?

The redshots are cheaper, so I'm assuming the hardware isn't as nice.

I've actually been looking at buying a set of triggers, as I've just got another interface, so I'm now 16 track simultaneous. I looked at the Redshots, and they seem OK...The biggest downfall for me would be having to remove and then replace a tension rod to place the trigger (they mount on the rod). The ease of the Pro's in that they mount on their own is worth the extra cost I think.

If a drummer has their shit together, tuned and setup, I'm not big on removing a rod, mounting, putting the rod back and then retuning...Too much time.

Is there an ideal tuning to avoid the false triggerings? I mean...do higher skin tensions work better with triggers?

To answer your question, YES. High tensioned tuning such as a snare drum will reduce false triggering. But I'm having a hard time with the rest of my kit. I'm trying to figure out a way to keep my skins tuned the way I like them without experiencing false triggering. I tried adjusting the distance of the trigger from the head, and numerous muffling techniques, but nothing worked. My drums ended up sounding like junk. So I ordered some muffling gels from moto. I should be getting them by tomorrow so I'll let all the fellow drummers out there know what results I got. If that doesnt work, I dont know what to do. Does anybody have any suggestions? :headbang:

When i use my ddrum pro triggers recording they usually like claim 2 or 3 hits every time the drummer hits the drum. This is just the drum skin vibrating after the hit. Now i know if you really make the skin dead it fixes the problem but then the drum sounds like crap.

How do you guys go about solving this with triggers?

I'm having the same problem not with my snare becuase of the high tension its tuned to but the rest of my kit. I bought some moongel damper pads today to remedy that issue. I also saw a guy on U-Tube use an impact patch pad used to protect the head from the beater, applied under the trigger for the kick. Im gonna try that out this weekend but Ill let you know.

When i use my ddrum pro triggers recording they usually like claim 2 or 3 hits every time the drummer hits the drum. This is just the drum skin vibrating after the hit. Now i know if you really make the skin dead it fixes the problem but then the drum sounds like crap.

How do you guys go about solving this with triggers?

I think I figured out the problem with the false triggering issues alot of us fellow drummer are experiencing.
I tune my kit pretty low so this should work for allot of you. I bought some RTOM MOON GEL DRUM HEAD DAMPER PADS and placed them on the heads next to where I had my trigger mounted. For my smaller and medium size toms I used one but for bigger toms such as my floor tom (16x14) I used three of them, each spaced equaly apart. I didn't need one for my snare drum cause the tension on that head is really tight.
As for the kick drum I was able to get ahold of some neoprene (synthetic rubber.) I took a small piece of neoprene rubber (4mm thick) and cut it so that it was the same size on the foam on the trigger and placed it between the head of the point of contact. THAT FIXED THE PROBLEM, NO FALSE TRIGGERING, NO ISSUES!!!!!!!
To further dial in your sound you can also adjust the sensivitey of the input on your drum brain, I'm using the Roland V-drum TD3 with the sensiviety turned all the way up, but thats my preference.
*Remember that neoprene comes in different thickness and densities. I used a fairly dense piece of neoprene 4mm tick. Not the same density used to make wetsuits but more like a garden hose.*
Hope this helps and feel free to contact me with any questions you might have. :headbang:

Dude, that is useful info, thank you - but first, we didn't exactly need the neoprene press release, and second, normal font please. :)

tips for making trigger drums work with metal.

First of all use dual layer heads, with damping ring mounted in the head.
Evans sst 2 works perfect for this, and at the same time these heads have a nice tight "metal" sound. For the bigger toms like 14-16-18 you might need to supply with som "marsgel"

As for the kick, just fuck it up and make it dead so the trigger can do the work.

for the snare use a tom trigger!

No to the brain......with Roland you should adjust these parameters:

Treshold : Make shure that your softest hit will trigger, and softer then that will disappear.

Sensitivity: Here you have to chose how much dynamic you wan't. don't go all the way up, but leave some headrum for dynamics.

Re-trigg cancel: Here is the important part, This parameter sets the time you wan't between each hit on the specific drum.
So if you set this to the fastest song you play, i think you are covered.

Remember, even with triggers you need to be skilled to make it work!

Evans sst 2 works perfect for this, and at the same time these heads have a nice tight "metal" sound. For the bigger toms like 14-16-18 you might need to supply with som "marsgel"

As for the kick, just fuck it up and make it dead so the trigger can do the work.

Treshold : Make shure that your softest hit will trigger, and softer then that will disappear.

Sensitivity: Here you have to chose how much dynamic you wan't. don't go all the way up, but leave some headrum for dynamics.

Re-trigg cancel: Here is the important part, This parameter sets the time you wan't between each hit on the specific drum.
your unwanted ghost notes will vanish!

Epic, epic fail. Zombie thread as well as not reading the OP or other posts in the threads? Horrible.