ddrum Trigger questions...

DURBANS

Feb 2, 2005
Hi

If I were to buy the trigger set of ddrums ($ 225) which only includes the 3 basic triggers which are kick, tom and snare, question is, what else do I need to buy? The brain?

How do I connect these into a pc? How do I record with these? i really have no idea.

Say my gear is a 2496 Audiophile sound card and a ART Tube PAC Mic Preamp.

How about the ddrum module? Any good?

Ok, so I connect this to my soundcard via MIDI? And how do I set the samples I want to be triggered and all?

The module ought to have samples built in.

Oh my bad, if you are using the module's samples..u'll need to connect with audio cables into the soundcard input.

Midi only to generate signals into the software so that u can sample it with another sample later.

OK, I think I drank too much.

Ok, so... how do I record with these?

Do I need to mic the bass drum and the snare? I'm just looking for an even sound for the bassdrum and the snare, specially for blast beats and stuff.

How does this work? How does Andy uses it?

My band originally purchased the DM5 for recording purposes but have found it much more useful in live situations. Right now use it to rehearse and additionally we bring it to live gigs for kick and snare samples. I have yet to use any of the samples on it for recording purposes as they are not the greatest for CD.

Fyhed said:
Yes, I meant Alesis sorry.

No you don't need it in particular, but its a descent module for a drummer, especially in the live or practice scenario.

We use it for the kicks in reherasal, it just gives us a bit of hi end which gets lost in the room.

Some of the non-drum sounds are fun to play with when you're jamming (if you don't have a keyboardist already). They're cheesey but it's cool to hear a "klank" or an uber-low frequency boom every once in a while.

BTW since we are on this subject, has anyone ever used a computer plugin (ie drumagog or soundreplacer) with a laptop in a live situation for drum triggers? I don't see why anyone would do it, but I'm curious to see how that would work, what kind of problems you'd run into.

Hi again

Ok, cool, but I'm a total noob regarding triggers and recording/live. I wanna know, for example, in a live situation, how do I make the triggers sound?

And, how do I record with these things?

abigailwilliams said:
our drummer uses the dm5 live but i like the sounds on the dm4 better. i want one.
the unit preceeding the DM5 was known as the D4, no "M" in the name at all... just a heads-up in case you're searching for one on eBay or the like.. you won't find it by searching DM4, as their was no such animal. and yeah, the D4 sounds were better but the trigger functionality was better on the DM5. so D4 for samples and DM5 for live is the way to go. having said that, there are some very usable sounds on the DM5.

I have the ddrums triggers and the Alesis DM5 module. It has left and right outputs to record the "sound". When running midi, you need to open an aux track and bus it to hear the midi. It takes some tweaking for use in a studio setting. Velocity, sensitivity and decay are different with every drummer and take me a good part of the day to set right. Im curious as to how Andy uses it for gates only?!? I cant figure out how to run them so the gates effect the acoustic drums. I tend to use it for live rehearsals more than recording. I use sound replacer to build drums. Looking into getting drumagog now.

Recording: I read here that, what Andy does is record the trigger directly, then uses ‘sound replacer’ in Pro Tools. Other tools for this (plug ins): drumagog, aptrigger(?), ktdrumtrigger(triggers midi data).

A trigger sends a signal.. just a little pop or click I guess. Short and sharp, that’s why it works to trigger the modules, and it makes sense that this signal is also ideal to do use if you want to do the ‘sound replace’ thing in an DAW.

The intended way to use them(relevant for live and recording[if you want to use the modules sounds]): you plug the trigger into the 'trigger input' of a sound module like the Alesis ones or the ones that come with Electronic drumkits. These modules take this 'pop/click' as an instruction to play the sound assigned to that trigger 'channel'. Then simply route the audio output of the module to an input of your recording device or mixer.

How's that? I've only a little real world experience with them, but I think that's about it....?