Dead Can Dance Announces European Tour Dates for 2012

I saw a different set poste don setlist.fm I'm super excited to see the new songs, "Return of the She-King" is fucking amazing. Rakim and Host of Seraphim will be amazing. I'm super surprised that Severance isn't on this list. Also, I'm upset that "How Fortunate the Man with None," and "Black Sun" aren't on this list.

I just don't see why they at least play one song from every album to appease everyone. I think it's pretty much agreed upon that "Spleen and Ideal," "Within the Realm of a Dying Sun," and "Serpent's Egg" are their best albums.

Just an update for anyone who gives a shit about my ticket situation: E-mailed topspin and apparently they sent the tickets when I received my t-shirts. The tickets I bought came with the shirts and shit. The tickets were inside an envelop with the shirts, but I either threw out the envelop without seeing the tickets, probably out of pure excitement of getting a sweet DCD shirt, or that I have since then lost my tickets.

Either way, they changed my order and all I have to do is pick up my tickets at will-call. I e-mailed them earlier today and they already sent me an e-mail back. Topspin is a great company, more bands need to use Topspin

/rant

Glad you got them! I would have shit myself when they told me there was an envelope in with the shirt. Reviews for the show are positive. Less than two weeks away!

The new album and tour are driving up the collectible stuff, though. Some of the bootlegs have jumped to $60 each :(

I wish I was you and had the funds to make DCD collection. Maybe in 10 years when I have a disposable income I will consult you and work on a collection like yours. DCD is definitely the first band that I get a "collection" for.

Anyways, less than a fucking week for me. I'm fucking livid with excitement.

It's a disease, man. I work off of a site called Library of the Obscure but it's been tagged recently as an attack site so I didn't link it. Someone must have hacked it. Anyway it shows all of their "official" bootlegs. Almost all of them are silver pressed CD's and not some garbage a hillbilly made in his basement.

Oh and here's the setlist.
dcdsetlist1.jpg

Posted this in the concerts thread, but I'll repost it here in case any DCD fans don't check out that thread:

So the Dead Can Dance concert was amazing. It was the Gibson theatre, which is inside of Universal Studios. Talk about the most ironic place to see a band like Dead Can Dance! However, the venue itself had phenomenal sound. Had real good seats; 8th row of the orchestra.

Both vocalists were excellent, but Lisa Gerrard has the best voice I've ever heard in person, opera singers included. They basically played their entire new album; after hearing it live I appreciate it much more. "All in Good Time" and "The Return of the She-King" were highlights. Of their older material "Host of the Seraphim" and the "Ubiquitous Mr. Love Groove" stood out. Gerrard also did a song off her first solo album that was just stunning. The percussion players were all really engaging to watch as well.

There were a few downsides. First, I wish they had a few more live instruments. The music would sound better if they had real strings and horns instead of synths. That said, I realize that's a major financial commitment. The real problem were the fans. First, way too many people shouting for old songs; I get that some people bought tickets expecting to hear more classics, but at some point you need to accept that the band is going to play what they want to play and just shut the fuck up.

I also had some drunk fucker in front of me recording the show, with flash on his phone, who kept swinging his arms right in front of myself and my friend. I eventually had to curse him out and tell him to put the camera away. In general I am so fucking sick of people trying to make shitty bootlegs at concerts and ruining the show for everyone else. If you're determined to make a bootleg, have some manners and make sure you're not ruining the show for everyone else by blocking their view with a camera in their view, a light in their face, etc.

Anyway, in spite of some stupid fans the band did three encores. A really great show and I highly recommend that anyone who even just slightly likes DCD go to one of their shows.

A few I specifically remember hearing were "Anywhere Out of This World," "In the Kingdom of the Blind the One-Eyed are Kings," "Dawn of the Iconoclast," but there were a ton of people shouting stuff.

Now I do emphasize to a degree. Within the Realm of a Dying Sun is one of my favorite albums by any band ever and to not hear anything off of it was a little disappointing. But at the same time I respect DCD to choose their own songs and indeed, they did put together a phenomenal set. I guess I just consider shouting for songs when the band is clearly not taking requests pretty childish.

Yeah, I agree completely. I find it completely strange that they can't even play one song from the first three albums. I mean, those are generally regarded as their best work by all their fans, and they don't play any of them? I'm surprised that severance isn't on their set either TBH.

But as you said, no matter what DCD does it's going to be an experience and it's own album of sorts. Still fucking pumped to see them this Tuesday.

I agree shouting out would get annoying. Especially in that setting.

The rumor mill is saying that another tour may follow. I'd want to believe they'll be a little more varied in the set list.

The new album has grown on me quite a bit. Ever excited to see them next weekend.

So my basic review of the Chicago concert:

Fucking amazing. The night was filled with incredible emotion. Perry and Gerrard had perfect fucking voices, and Jay Pritzer Pavillion is easily the most beautiful concert venue I've ever seen. Just seeing DCD perform with the Chicago skyline around us and the incredible architecture found in Millennium Park was a site to behold. No surprises in the setlist. I was shaking during Rakim, but I was taken aback at the slightly different version of "Host of Seraphim" where Perry would sing alongside Gerrard. I was discussing this with Addo and we both agreed that Perry singing distracted us from Gerrard in that song. "Host of Seraphim" is such a classic "Gerrard" song that I found it a bit annoying, but still amazing to hear.

"Return of the She-King" was probably the stand-out track, and the placement of it is perfect. It was during their 2nd encore where Perry and the gang come out and perform a heart-stopping "Song to the Siren" and then the Return of the She-King (Gerrard) walks back on stage and sings the best track on the new album. Stunning.

Also, anyone know where "Rising of the Moon" is from? Only Gerrard and one other keyboardist came on to perform that song and at the end she made a shout out to "Tony Scott" and gave her thanks.

Wonderful experience. I really hope to see them again. I was on the verge of tears when Perry and Gerrard initially walked on stage and started those first notes in "Children of the Sun."

It's not Valley Of The Moon? That would be from The Silver Tree. Couldn't find anything else on it...

I have to wait until Sunday and Monday to see them but I'm pumped. Have a third row ticket I can't get rid of, though. Rakim is going to be amazing and can't wait to hear Lovegrove live.

Glad to hear the positive review, although I suspected it would be!

Okay first show over. Amazing. The live setting really fleshes out the layers on he new album and it sounds even stronger. Lisa and Brendan sound perfect. I got goosebumps so many times when Lisa would hit the gas a little with those vocal chords. Loved the lighting. Everyone around me behaved so no yelling bullshit. I didn't mind the "Host of Seraphim" thing too much because he only sung with her part of the way. It was distracting for sure but he faded back at the right time.

So tomorrow I drive another 3 hours to see them again. I'll be much closer and I can't wait. Waited 20 years to see them live and it was worth it.

Yeah, I've got retard friends telling that Coldplay puts on a better show than any band and I raised them DCD and they were like "Does DCD have lasers?" and I was like "No, they don't need gimmicks to make good music."

Show number two over. Wolf Trap is a beautiful venue. The audience was WAY more rowdy and starting to get annoying but seeing them from so close was worth it. I mean, someone yelled, "Where do you put your Oscar?" Really?? Faggot. Long trip home tomorrow but I've promised myself I'll never miss seeing them live again.